Pva new board or not?

Members online

No members online now.

Dave king

Hi guys and girls

I have been told by various different people over the years you should pva new plasterboard but I've also been told you don't have too. Can anyone clear up this confusion for me.

I don't but if it's a big area you can gives you a bit more time to work it depends how quick you are with the old trowel everyone has different ideas on this

I had a problem with new board a couple of weeks ago. I meant to post about it but I forgot to make a note of what make they were.

They were bought from Buildbase in Stornoway, Isle of Harris/Lewis.

Weirdly, it wasn't every board, just odd ones here and there - I put the gear on the wall and some would be all right and other areas went off as soon as it was on - very clearly on different boards.

I've never had that with new board before and never heard of it either. Neither had anyone I asked.

I got fed up after the second time it happened and PVA'd every internal wall before I carried on.

Anyone else ever had this?

Hi mate, I personally never p.v.a new board work as it's nice to go over if it's fresh. I do p.v.a ones that have been up a while though and you can probably tell because they discolour usually yellowish in the colour change, it's only because they draw to quick and the gear can craze!

I had a problem with new board a couple of weeks ago. I meant to post about it but I forgot to make a note of what make they were.

They were bought from Buildbase in Stornoway, Isle of Harris/Lewis.

Weirdly, it wasn't every board, just odd ones here and there - I put the gear on the wall and some would be all right and other areas went off as soon as it was on - very clearly on different boards.

I've never had that with new board before and never heard of it either. Neither had anyone I asked.

I got fed up after the second time it happened and PVA'd every internal wall before I carried on.

Anyone else ever had this?
That's always the case onsite

Really?

I'm a jobber who can plaster - don't usually do anything bigger than an extension or a bit of renovating and never had a problem with new board.

I used to work for a housebuilder and we'd board in front of the plasterers. We never PVA'd them and I don't think I ever saw the plasterers do it either.

I guess if it happens a lot, then the answer is yes, PVA new board.

Really?

I'm a jobber who can plaster - don't usually do anything bigger than an extension or a bit of renovating and never had a problem with new board.

I used to work for a housebuilder and we'd board in front of the plasterers. We never PVA'd them and I don't think I ever saw the plasterers do it either.

I guess if it happens a lot, then the answer is yes, PVA new board.
I would , if it's let's say more than 30m2, but duraline always. Sucks the s**t out of it . We hugely underestimate the air flow the boards are exposed to .

Thanks guys after reading all of your replies I'm gonna go with pva everything like it was said a little prep gives peace of mind.
Thanks again

What a load of bullshit. No u don't. Gypsum don't even stand by pva. U would actually breaking the warranty on the product by doing it. Pva new plasterboard ffs. This place is going backwards. :rolleyes: am off to PVA my cornflakes

Trust me if my walls were made of cornflakes I'd be slapping pva or pre grit on them :sisi:
Got caught out once on old boards never again.

Trust me if my walls were made of cornflakes I'd be slapping pva or pre grit on them :sisi:
Got caught out once on old boards never again.

I thought you were supposed to use SBR on cornflakes? PVA is for sugar puffs.

Mind you, all the modern nonsense is just designed to sell stuff you don't really need. There's nothing wrong with the old ways, back in the day it was just cement slurry for golden grahams.

Never PVA new boardwork.
I'm very surprised thats even been asked.

Obviously if the boards have been up a year and gone yellow then yes.
But NEW????

Never PVA new boardwork.
I'm very surprised thats even been asked.

Obviously if the boards have been up a year and gone yellow then yes.
But NEW????

Right - so who's right here?

Either new boards can give you problems or they can't. Should be a unanimous answer from all experienced plasterers.

I've definitely had new boards give me hassle, but I thought it was a one off.

Either new boards can give you problems or they can't. Should be a unanimous answer from all experienced plasterers.

I wouldn't but if they gave me hassle I would so I'm 50/50

I wouldn't but if they gave me hassle I would so I'm 50/50

I've never had problems before. It was a first for me. I suppose I'd continue not to PVA, but would do everything at the first sign of trouble.

I was mostly concerned about a ceiling I was doing 30m^2. Maybe not so big for some on here, but big for me on my own.

No other plasterer I know has ever PVAd new boards.
Like you say if youve been caught out it must have been either a one off or there was something else going on.

Maybe the boards had been rained on in the yard at some point. Maybe the plaster was one of the crap batches. Maybe they were covered in dust. Maybe they had been walked on by t**t labourers when they were stacked flat but incorrectly on the floor with the good side up.

They ain't made to be PVA'd

No other plasterer I know has ever PVAd new boards.
Like you say if youve been caught out it must have been either a one off or there was something else going on.

Maybe the boards had been rained on in the yard at some point. Maybe the plaster was one of the crap batches. Maybe they were covered in dust. Maybe they had been walked on by t**t labourers when they were stacked flat but incorrectly on the floor with the good side up.

They ain't made to be PVA'd

Dunno - they were dotted about the house. I'd chuck it on and by the first flatten, one board had pretty much gone off. None of them looked any different to any other. Especially painful on a ceiling.

Unless I've boarded or got a straight answer as to when it was I tend to grit rarely use pva full stop, I make my own pre grit up from sika latex.
Don't do sitework so never metres of boardwork anyhow just plenty of s**t walls.

Why don't a lot of plasterers know the difference between 'gone off' and suction? Two very different things.

Had it many moons ago in newton abbott the Bg rep came out and blamed everything apart from the board

Had it many moons ago in newton abbott the Bg rep came out and blamed everything apart from the board
Standard rep practice. You must have tied your boots up the wrong method that morning, the plasterboards are never the same if your laces are tied up wrong

Standard rep practice. You must have tied your boots up the wrong method that morning, the plasterboards are never the same if your laces are tied up wrong
Lol I was in a 3-1 gang on a hospital and every plasterer was getting the same flash sets when boards were coming direct from factory 3 in they was still warm don't know for 100% if that played a part in it but plasterers with 30-40 years experience being told it's not the board or plaster but a dirty whisk water is different in this areas hawk dirty trowel got a bit of build up on it to not a spotless bucket didn't exactly go down well even got told to 2 coat with same gear bit hard on a long run but apparently we should just keep dropping back to second coat like that would happen anyway he took a sample and we never heard from him again funny enough