Problems?

Members online

Status
Not open for further replies.

essexandy

The Lake Governor
Ok I've taken the plunge and ordered the Ritmo and now I'm going to ask the questions I should have asked before lol.
I be grateful if some of you machine lads could tell me honestly what problems I'm likely to encounter with the machine and how often do they actually **** up so badly that they ruin the days work?
Having just read Johns thread about problems when trying to spray just forty bags of OCR has spurred me to post this.

Ive had very little experiance of machines Andy but the little i have has been hoses blocking up completey f ucks your day up.

This is very promising, not one single machine plasterer appears to suffer any problems. It seems hand plasterers have more difficulty deciding whether to use a hawk or a hand board.

The only advice I can offer is to THINK things through when setting up and double check everything, when it goes wrong it does your head in but but thinking things through properly will solve this

The labourer who is jealous and stands round you when you are having difficulty telling everyone its quicker by hand whilst you are emptying the hopper again

The Old site dog who strolls up when ur up to ur ankles in mono and simply says " problems ? "

The plasterer who works for you and stands behind watching everything whilst you pay him

The bloke who fills the machine so full the stuff is spilling over the top and blowing all over the cars that are wet

The bloke who fills the machine and walks off to get a fag and leaves the hopper run empty

anyone who doesnt answer your call within 2 rings

And Flinny

Use a water pump......don't be lazy unless you can guarantee your the only one using the supply and you've got a good pressure well above 2 bar. Always start off wet and and with the hoses attached preferably downhill or flat and this slurry mix will prime your pipes better than water alone whilst you gradually turn down to normal water setting(400 - 300 etc). Keep an eye on the pressure gauge whilst getting the gear through. I find once the gears coming through the hose at a nice consistency the biggest potential problems are behind you. Then it's just keeping the hopper topped up and r&s wear etc to think about

It'a a learning curve as I said before, once you have encountered every problem you know how to avoid or solve very quickly, it aint rocket science, I used a ritmo today to spray 9 bags of weber! That was easier to me than knocking up in tub and humping up scaffold.

dont forget to use your lifelines

50/50 :RpS_thumbup: :RpS_thumbdn:

ask your audience :RpS_cursing:

Phone a friend :confused:

It can be tough when things go tits up,but i think that you need to experience these problems so you learn and understand why you had the problem in the first place. It can be a bit embarassing when your new toy is a nice shiny orange and three of you are stood round it scratching your heads. But on the other hand when your set up right and you can bring a big gable end down in an hour its a great bit of kit.

you will only get problems in inital set up like jamming the r+s if you get the days training video whats being done and drum into the guy running the machine about cleaning

Thanks lads that doesn't sound so bad does it, just remember to do as Stuart says and all will be well.
Why does that sound just to easy?

you will be fine andy but you will get the odd day where you want to smash **** out of the machine but get everyone you think is gonna be using it to get the training more heads the better i had about an hours training

you will only get problems in inital set up like jamming the r+s if you get the days training video whats being done and drum into the guy running the machine about cleaning

What training video is this Gary?

I have had problems galore and still learning by them. Simple things like the machine conks out halfway through a wall and you find the labrador didn't turn the water on and the barrel runs dry. Not cleaning the airline hole out on the gun. Over priming. Labrador filling the hopper up and then going for a bobar without telling anyone and the powder runs out. Blockages in the pipe.

We always have a bath and tub with whisk at the ready. Back to slapping it on by hand while someone sorts the pipes out.

The labourer who is jealous and stands round you when you are having difficulty telling everyone its quicker by hand whilst you are emptying the hopper again

The Old site dog who strolls up when ur up to ur ankles in mono and simply says " problems ? "

The plasterer who works for you and stands behind watching everything whilst you pay him

The bloke who fills the machine so full the stuff is spilling over the top and blowing all over the cars that are wet

The bloke who fills the machine and walks off to get a fag and leaves the hopper run empty

anyone who doesnt answer your call within 2 rings

And Flinny

Oh that was low that really hurt :(

What training video is this Gary?

I have had problems galore and still learning by them. Simple things like the machine conks out halfway through a wall and you find the labrador didn't turn the water on and the barrel runs dry. Not cleaning the airline hole out on the gun. Over priming. Labrador filling the hopper up and then going for a bobar without telling anyone and the powder runs out. Blockages in the pipe.

We always have a bath and tub with whisk at the ready. Back to slapping it on by hand while someone sorts the pipes out.

if my lab ****** off and let the hopper run out i think i would knock him out

with the ritmo the things i found that helped were:

having stuart on speed dial. remember to call off different phones and withhold your number sometimes coz he gets angry after the 10th call of the day

get a routine for setting up and just try and follow it always

personally i do all the setting up and cleaning myself. unless someone has paid for the machine they generally dont give a ****

always, always, always check the bloody water on/off switch

always use a water butt, check r+s pressure, check filters, put water higher than u need, prime the r+s and leave some water in the pot, little bit of powder, start up and add a bag, adjust water slowly. primer pipe, attach and go.

dont fill the hopper to the brim, then add the extension hopper, fill that to the brim, (6-7 bags of mono), being cocky thinking u can just put on the pipe and adjust the water as you go. then press go and realise the water switch is off. it jams to buggery and you have to by hand unload 7 bags. not good.

Nick with the Xl we put about a cup full of water in and just load up to the brim with machine off..... No splashing and sort of idiot proof(water switch already sorted cos would've done pump test just before). Can the little ritmo start like this butt?

oh yeah i start pretty much like that, just put about half a bag in first then top up once tested. i used to put one or 2 in from the off but after a few mishaps, ie water switch etc then always let a bit run through first before loading it up. unloading it by hand it a bit demoralising

Im sorry but i have to disagree about running wet gear through your pipe and adjust the machine down. you will end up wasting a load of gear which cost money. get yourself a test pipe, its about a meter long, rund the test pipe into a tub and adjust to the gear to how you want it, check the flow meter and remember what it is set at, adjust the flow back so the gear is wet again and then remove test pipe and connect your wetted hoses. start the gear through your pipes and after about 5 seconds start adjusting down to what the flow meter was set at when you used the test pipe. No waste. All we do is wet the pipes and run the gear through. we do this everyday of the week and never get a problem. I would do my nut if i turned up and saw the lads at the end of the week with a big pile of wasted gear where they had been running the pipe through.

Nice to hear from you Paul I was starting to wonder if Stu had turned into a cannibal. Thanks for a useful post and who do I make the cheque out to for the test pipe lol.

I have a shallow gorilla tub under the r&s. Isn't this the same?

Good point Paul about turning it back wet then through the pipes and then reduce the water. That should lessen the chance of a blockage.

Last edited:
so do I nick but at first it makes things a lot cleaner while someone is getting used to adjusting the machine. Andy, Les will be able to make you one up but not sure how much.

I cant get on here much these days as the guards are always around and they have been told by the doctors not to let me have much contact with the outside world.

The test pipe is good for unfamiliar gear but to be honest i never use it. With the clamped d42 always set at 10-11 bar its performance is always The same so you can always set to say 300 for monorex Quickly down from 400 with no hiccups. I never wet the pipes these days and never have blockages. If you think about it theres no need and water isnt a lubricant anyway. The initial slurry mix primes the pipes far better than water ever can and there's next to no waste and no messed up fittings.
Works for us.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.