Problem with possible moisture intrusion?

Members online

kernhills

Hello. I have a 4000 sq ft home in So CA desert. I had 3 stucco contractors come to give me bids since the siding (a type of fiber board) was warping and coming apart due to the hot dry summers and cold wet winters after 20 years. Since most of it was still in relatively good shape, 2 of the contractors recommended I leave it in place for insulation value, and stucco over it after wrapping the house in two layers of paper. My concern is that I have a lot of staining happening to the stucco now after a few rains (this was completed last summer). It hasn’t rained for weeks, but you can see the staining in the photos. No idea what has caused this, or if it is normal? Some parts of the house the walls have no staining at all, whereas other parts, where water seems to run over the surfaces off the of the roofs/decks, the staining is severe. I have the contractor coming tomorrow to look, but quite honestly, based on the job and how it went, I really don’t trust what he might tell me. Any qualified opinions from those in the industry would be greatly appreciated!! Thank you!!

Attachments

• 0302211752.jpg
    0302211752.jpg
    606.4 KB · Views: 191
  • 0302211752_HDR.jpg
    0302211752_HDR.jpg
    410.6 KB · Views: 198
  • 0302211752a.jpg
    0302211752a.jpg
    739.9 KB · Views: 191
  • 0302211752a_HDR.jpg
    0302211752a_HDR.jpg
    432.2 KB · Views: 198
  • 0302211753.jpg
    0302211753.jpg
    532.8 KB · Views: 181
  • 0302211753_HDR.jpg
    0302211753_HDR.jpg
    690.3 KB · Views: 193
Hello. I have a 4000 sq ft home in So CA desert. I had 3 stucco contractors come to give me bids since the siding (a type of fiber board) was warping and coming apart due to the hot dry summers and cold wet winters after 20 years. Since most of it was still in relatively good shape, 2 of the contractors recommended I leave it in place for insulation value, and stucco over it after wrapping the house in two layers of paper. My concern is that I have a lot of staining happening to the stucco now after a few rains (this was completed last summer). It hasn’t rained for weeks, but you can see the staining in the photos. No idea what has caused this, or if it is normal? Some parts of the house the walls have no staining at all, whereas other parts, where water seems to run over the surfaces off the of the roofs/decks, the staining is severe. I have the contractor coming tomorrow to look, but quite honestly, based on the job and how it went, I really don’t trust what he might tell me. Any qualified opinions from those in the industry would be greatly appreciated!! Thank you!!
Has one of your contractors estimated for removing and renewing out of interest how much is he charging where you live?

Has one of your contractors estimated for removing and renewing out of interest how much is he charging where you live?
The other contractor is coming next week. Thinking I'll just hire him (comes with a reliable reputation at least) to take care of any flashing that can be installed, and maybe fog coating some of the areas to even it out a bit? Don't know if this is a realistic option, but I'll listen to his opinion. I'm thinking a years worth of crap on the roof and decks probably washed down and stained it as well... I had a difficult time finding anyone who wanted to take the project on because of the size and existing siding, was only able to get 2 estimates out of a dozen phone calls in the area. I guess as long as there isn't water getting through to the structure of the house, I can deal with the staining...

Does kirk have a wig for work.and one for home. Why does he have ten people with him and do a house in a day. As you say it looks rough. Ginger nut.