Problem after damp proofing

Members online

No members online now.
Status
Not open for further replies.
This is what I am saying. A product warranty is not worth shite. The firm I work for is big enough that it supplies it's own warranties that cover all the works.

The insuance back warranties are done through a firm call gpi or something.

The OP is IMO stuck and if salt neutralier won't kill the salts may have to pay again.

For how long??

not being funny mate just interested in how others do it.

im always interested as well bud, never had plaster blow to be honest and wouldnt guarantee against cracking on a dpc as the plaster i tie into is normal dry and loose etc..

This is what I am saying. A product warranty is not worth shite. The firm I work for is big enough that it supplies it's own warranties that cover all the works.

The insuance back warranties are done through a firm call gpi or something.

The OP is IMO stuck and if salt neutralier won't kill the salts may have to pay again.

i agree i fear if one of mine fails bad style as i know they will just say it was down to how i have i stalled it.

Lol I will recommend clients to flynnyman when clients ask me to give quote for damp proofing due to insurance / guarantee issue as I wanted to keep my services simple - just straightforward plastering.

I'm using The Plasterers Forum Mobile ApptAp!

whatdoes flynnyman do for you in return .... :)

The salts can take a while to stop, try like all the guys have said and get a neutraliser.

You will find that the guarantee's are a waste of money, I actually issue my own guarantee's now as I don't like paying £200+ for a sheet of A4 lol.

The guarantee only covers the product so its down to you to prove its not worked lol, that will probably cost as much as the repair.

They are designed to keep the bank happy that is why I do my own because I have the confidence to say my work is worthy of a guarantee so I issue one.

How many out there have the balls to do that ?

here s an update.
Contacted sovereign who believe that something is going on below the skirting boards and get the company back.

Phoned the company on the landline nothing looks like its disconnected tried the mobile . just goes thru to the answer machine. tRIED NUMBERS NUMEROUS TIMES OVER THE COURSE OF A WEEK OR MORE. Looks like theyre gone out of business. Mmmmm
Did search on internet company still listed with the same numbers.
Anyhow came a cross another damp proof company operating from the same address. Another Mmmmmm

Phoned this other company a woman answered this was a different woman to the original company who advised me that they had bought the premises from the other company who had gone out of business.
Sound dodgy to me a damp proof company buys premises off another dpc thats gone out of business especially when the address in residential.

Check them on companies house, they may have gone or are now working as... Back to sovereign, tell them you have put this in a blog, check with @Danny on here first before mentioning names, its a shame but lots of damp guarantees are worthless

Last edited by a moderator:
I ve taken the plunge and decided to go about resolving the problem myself. I ve got the walls stripped back to brick. I ve taken photos which I will put online .
My plan now is to go with a membrane. Was hoping to be able to plaster board and skim. Hopefully there will be enough depth to do this. It look tight to me BUT we will see when I get the membrane.
There was a dpc installed - injection cream which was installed into the brick which I believe is incorrect. creams should be into the mortor and injection fluid into the brick.
There was a damp problem around a bricked up chimney breast which had no air vent. I have now discovered that itis full of what I think is going to prove to be soot about 3 feet high. I ll remove this later today

Give them a call out to a different address and see if the same people turn up don't worry about not having any visible damp these guys will find it with their meter :)

I ve taken the plunge and decided to go about resolving the problem myself. I ve got the walls stripped back to brick. I ve taken photos which I will put online .
My plan now is to go with a membrane. Was hoping to be able to plaster board and skim. Hopefully there will be enough depth to do this. It look tight to me BUT we will see when I get the membrane.
There was a dpc installed - injection cream which was installed into the brick which I believe is incorrect. creams should be into the mortor and injection fluid into the brick.
There was a damp problem around a bricked up chimney breast which had no air vent. I have now discovered that itis full of what I think is going to prove to be soot about 3 feet high. I ll remove this later today
Make sure chimney has correct cap on it, allowing breathing but preventing rain ingress

The Moral of this Tale

You have a damp problem so you get a damp proof company out to solve your problem.
They take the plaster back to brick inject a damp course replaster. Jobs a gooden BUT they dont do anything to solve the sauce of the problem.
MMmmmmm I think there s money in this

Well thats the fire opened up not as bad as i thought it was going to be. The old back boiler is still in there got as much of the soot out as possible need to vacuum cleaner now to remove the rest of it

Stockton-on-Tees-20140130-00026.jpg Stockton-on-Tees-20140130-00028.jpg Stockton-on-Tees-20140130-00030.jpg Stockton-on-Tees-20140201-00040.jpg

Attachments

• Stockton-on-Tees-20140130-00025.jpg
    Stockton-on-Tees-20140130-00025.jpg
    99.1 KB · Views: 347
Looks like it's bridging from the floor rather than rising damp. Is it plastered to the floor all the way round

Status
Not open for further replies.