Problem after damp proofing

Members online

Status
Not open for further replies.

tinlip

I had some damp proofing done on a 1930s terrace house that I let. The firm used are Sovereign approved and used there system. I was warned that it could take upto 18 months for the work to dry out sometimes longer and not to be concerned about salt deposits on the walls this was nothing unusual. that was 23 months ago and I ve still got salt deposits forming.
My question is should I be concerned about this or is it just taking longer to dry out. This is a rental property and I need to get it relet but with the salts and the shocking Plaster work that they did it ll be an uphill battle as it stands

Any advice will be appreciated

Sovereign is not a con they are the same as all the others it's the person doing the job who is the problem and adding blue bricks won't do duckall lol. Which guarantee did you get off them tinlips? Speak to sovereign that is who approved them they should make them put it right or another of the people they approved the guarantee has to be worth something.

Is it normal to get deposits of salt during the drying out period . For me I wouldnt of thought so as This is what you are trying to solve in the first place after going to all the trouble of striping the wall bak to brick using salt inhibitors tanking backing coat .

Did they use sovs backing plaster was the housing really salted up did they treat the walls for salt.

Is it normal to get deposits of salt during the drying out period . For me I wouldnt of thought so as This is what you are trying to solve in the first place after going to all the trouble of striping the wall bak to brick using salt inhibitors tanking backing coat .

Some to a degree, depends how they specced it..

I've seen salt penetrating for upto a couple of months after in a basement but soon after they dissipated..

I'm using The Plasterers Forum Mobile App

it is defo down to the installer, the walls should have been soaked in an anti salt solution and also a salt inhibatour in the render

I passed on taking the sovereign 30 year guarantee as i had to pay for it ( thats not a guarantee, to me) . I did call them back to take a look after about 7 months as I thought there was a lot a salt build up

the salt treatment does say on the container that it can be used on finished walls tinlip so I would defo give it a try and if the house is empty now is a good time as it fecking stinks... lol

Did they use sovs backing plaster was the housing really salted up did they treat the walls for salt.
Yes they did use all Sovereign branded products. Thats what was on the material packageing. There has been more salt on the walls since Damp proofing than before

Has the property been empty since the work was completed ,no heating ,doors and windows shut ,and is the salt where the new render joins the old or all over ?

Has the property been empty since the work was completed ,no heating ,doors and windows shut ,and is the salt where the new render joins the old or all over ?
There is salt where the new work meets the old but in the main it is at a lower levell above the shirting board

You may have a damp,sandwich where the moisture has only one way out and its through the plaster, what's the opposite side like

I had some damp proofing done on a 1930s terrace house that I let. The firm used are Sovereign approved and used there system. I was warned that it could take upto 18 months for the work to dry out sometimes longer and not to be concerned about salt deposits on the walls this was nothing unusual. that was 23 months ago and I ve still got salt deposits forming.
My question is should I be concerned about this or is it just taking longer to dry out. This is a rental property and I need to get it relet but with the salts and the shocking Plaster work that they did it ll be an uphill battle as it stands

Yes be very concerned it seems to me the firm have given you all the likely scenarios of a fail to cover themselves!? Am suprised they also didn't say that cracking is normal and bits may fall off too!!??
I'm not having a go at you but this sounds all wrong and you need to get them back as what your describing? Something has failed??

You may have a damp,sandwich where the moisture has only one way out and its through the plaster, what's the opposite side like
My neighbour is ok he had his corrsponding wall damp proofed a couple of years prior and the neighbour on the other side are ok the last time i asked them but I know that they have a problem at th back of the house in their kitchen your kitchens back each other and mine is ok

My neighbour is ok he had his corrsponding wall damp proofed a couple of years prior and the neighbour on the other side are ok the last time i asked them but I know that they have a problem at th back of the house in their kitchen your kitchens back each other and mine is ok
Try the salt neutraliser

If you have no warranty the contractor will just keep bumming you off.

Try the salt neutralizer then a couple of coats to stain block.

how i do it is give the customer a 30yr product guarantee (supplied by my supplier) and offer an insurance backed guarantee which costs about 10% of the job.

So who warrants your work man ship if the plaster cracks and blows??? Not your supplier I bet.

Last edited:
A firm I used to work for got involved in a claim like this. My old gaffer said it was still damp. The contractor had changed name/gone bust.

The he client had a product warranty. When the product supplier was challenged about it they simply said the workman ship was at fault. There warranty only covered the chemicals NOT how they were installed. Which made the warranty not worth the paper it was printed on.

In the en the client paid and we did it again.

As a rule of thumb it takes 1 month per inch of wall thickness to dry out so 23 months is more than ample drying out time. If the company wont come back to look at it get onto Trading Standards and start the complaint process that way. As stated in other post they havent sourced the problem of the damp and any remedial action to the decorated surfaces is only gonna do so much. Im assuming they injected a new DPC as part of there work??

A firm I used to work for got involved in a claim like this. My old gaffer said it was still damp. The contractor had changed name/gone bust.

The he client had a product warranty. When the product supplier was challenged about it they simply said the workman ship was at fault. There warranty only covered the chemicals NOT how they were installed. Which made the warranty not worth the paper it was printed on.

In the en the client paid and we did it again.[/QUOTE

thats how all damp suppliers work, before i got in the trade i tryed to claim against kingfisher and the said i had to pay £300 +vat for the guy to look at it.....

Status
Not open for further replies.