Prices for dot & dab & skim

Status
Not open for further replies.
its cheaper to pay a decent rate in the first place so there is no need for a patcher,no need for extra prep by the decorator,no need for the chippy to be wasting time getting over crap,sparky looking for sockets and some other poor fcuker cleaning up
Don't forget the tiler with his rubber tiles

It's cheaper to send gangs of spreads throwing it all over chasin money and send a patcher behind them on £ 60 per day

This is exactly what most of the big firms do, they know they'll get snagged on a certain amount of the work but it still pays.

its cheaper to pay a decent rate in the first place so there is no need for a patcher,no need for extra prep by the decorator,no need for the chippy to be wasting time getting over crap,sparky looking for sockets and some other poor fcuker cleaning up

You'd only be right on jobs that are after high quality work where every bit of dodgey work would be snagged but on most developments high quality isn't the overriding factor, price is.

This is exactly what most of the big firms do, they know they'll get snagged on a certain amount of the work but it still pays.

Course it does, I did my time On sites for 4/5 years day in, day out driving 60 Miles to hull and back, 40 miles to Wakefield and back, Scunthorpe, Grimsby and even Exeter for £2 m2 without digs

2 of us, telling ourselves the rates would improve, they didn't, they haven't and they won't.

The only decent money we made on site was float and skim £6 m2, they saw we made £150 a day and dropped it to £5.

On site you make what they want you to make.

Course it does, I did my time On sites for 4/5 years day in, day out driving 60 Miles to hull and back, 40 miles to Wakefield and back, Scunthorpe, Grimsby and even Exeter for £2 m2 without digs

2 of us, telling ourselves the rates would improve, they didn't, they haven't and they won't.

The only decent money we made on site was float and skim £6 m2, they saw we made £150 a day and dropped it to £5.

and you carried on working there after they did that?

pretty much sums the job up,
its the same why we give up on plastering circa 2009, when rates nose dived.
with rendering you can make good money but you need to know your stuff across the board about different manufactorers gear,and be set up to be flat out during the better weather. ie machines, teams of lads etc, that's how we make a do, and plenty of cash flow behind you to tick it all over.

I think the main problem with internal work is that its now all under a drylining companies control.

They take all the profit and just want to get gangs in which is fine on smaller jobs but on a 25k m2 job ect then the "gang master" needs enough in the pot to more or less be off the tools run the gangs and deal with "snagging" issues.

There simple is not enough in the rates to pay the guys a wage which will let them live a good standard of living and also run the job.

Things are picking up and the tables are starting to turn. Ive had a few jobs come in that they have been desperate for labour as they have been let down but they still seem to think we will step in at the same rates. That ant going to happen!

It's cheaper to send gangs of spreads throwing it all over chasin money and send a patcher behind them on £ 60 per day

see this is a drylining contractor menatlity not a plastering contractor mentality but these guys seem to pick up all the work and are making all the money

**** it ive had a beer and think i might break with family tradition and start a dryling company. Its MF, insulation and board. Skim is the only bit thats hard work . The lm rates for a full system are good so why only take on the plastering?

I think that plasterers missed a trick when drylining started to come through in this country. All upset that soild walls were better and mf was shite and now the industry is run by blokes that have never been on the tools!

I had to jessop, we complained like fook but they said they got their rates wrong,

They were also winning alot of projects around Yorkshire so if we had jacked, which we have done in the past, we would have only ended up back within months cap in hand, tail between legs.

I had to jessop, we complained like fook but they said they got their rates wrong,

They were also winning alot of projects around Yorkshire so if we had jacked, which we have done in the past, we would have only ended up back within months cap in hand, tail between legs.
your a better man than me. I would have took my hammer to meet the fookers :RpS_mad: thats a real shat way to treat you

ive never heard owt like it, dropping there rates because lads were making 150 a day.
if id have done that when I was contracting id have been shot.

It is a poor rate, but you would be very, very lucky to find anything over £2.50 each for d&d and skim.

If you won't do it, someone else will, sad but true

I agree anymore than £2.50 to a contractor
But self builds £3.50/3,75 got to be lads

Remember straight internals, clean beads and wibbly wobbly inbetween !.
Good luck out there

see this is a drylining contractor menatlity not a plastering contractor mentality but these guys seem to pick up all the work and are making all the money

Thought most plastering contractors offered drylining amongst their services. Why would you need a separate company to offer this..

They dont do all the metal fabrication and insulation. All the fire and sound regs seem to scare them off.

We put **** on a wall and make it look pretty

Remember Mcquire and Batty Mac? them, lloyd Clough And J D Jones all tight arsed gits. Mcquire and batty had Range Rovers, Farm houses and race horses but went bust!

Things are picking up and the tables are starting to turn. Ive had a few jobs come in that they have been desperate for labour as they have been let down but they still seem to think we will step in at the same rates. That ant going to happen!

Don't you think they're desperate and have been let down because things are getting better and rates are rising?

I disagree as I know of at least two very big plastering companies who worked like that.

I think that plasterers missed a trick when drylining started to come through in this country. All upset that soild walls were better and mf was shite and now the industry is run by blokes that have never been on the tools!

Not really Steve as originally most dryliners were ex-plasterers, often those that weren't that hot at plastering so saw the perfect opening to make some money. Perhaps your family like mine stuck it out spreading shite up walls when they could have diversified and made their lives easier. Two of my uncles even went and got trained up by BG to dryline probably forty years ago and still carried on spreading right up to retirement, 'because it's better'.

Don't you think they're desperate and have been let down because things are getting better and rates are rising?

I disagree as I know of at least two very big plastering companies who worked like that.

Not really Steve as originally most dryliners were ex-plasterers, often those that weren't that hot at plastering so saw the perfect opening to make some money. Perhaps your family like mine stuck it out spreading shite up walls when they could have diversified and made their lives easier. Two of my uncles even went and got trained up by BG to dryline probably forty years ago and still carried on spreading right up to retirement, 'because it's better'.

Yer thats my point things are picking up and rates will rise

They shouldn't work like that as they tarnish all the good spreads with shite spreads rates and then get a bouns when there is little snagging needed.

Yer thats what my old man and his dad did . Soild walls are still better :RpS_thumbsup: But dont make you as much :RpS_angry:

I went on the BG dry lining course in 1984. As far as I know I was the only one up here that could use an Ames taping machine. I much prefered dry lining. Cleaner and quicker but the spreads just could not adopt to it. So it became dot, dab and skim. But skimming cracked!

Plasterers are so set in their ways and don't take to change that easy. Bugger skimming it knackers your joints up and you are working in damp conditions.

Remember Mcquire and Batty Mac? them, lloyd Clough And J D Jones all tight arsed gits. Mcquire and batty had Range Rovers, Farm houses and race horses but went bust!

I remember JD Jones, Jackson's, llyold cloughs

Lloyd clough offered me 5 bed detached houses £1500 d&d external walls and skim and told me not to ever call back when I said I couldn't work for those rates

I think Jackson's has around 10 lads working for them from over 100 back in day

I had a 2 year period of earning good money from 2006 - 2008 then when I had good speed a bit of experience and the confidence in my work everything went bump

I think, seeing as I missed out On good times every member On here should chuck a fiver in a tin for the poor northern boy

the trouble with site plastering is that it has been split into four trades. dry liners, skimmers, screeders and renderers. this gives the developer the chance to accept the cheapest price for all four jobs. where as in the past he could only get one price for the complete works.
quantity surveyors are always trying to work out the trades wages ,to find out how much work can be covered by a man in a day. they want you to work like a pieceworker on day work rates.

I went on the BG dry lining course in 1984. As far as I know I was the only one up here that could use an Ames taping machine. I much prefered dry lining. Cleaner and quicker but the spreads just could not adopt to it. So it became dot, dab and skim. But skimming cracked!

Plasterers are so set in their ways and don't take to change that easy. Bugger skimming it knackers your joints up and you are working in damp conditions.
Cant be any damper then rendering In the rain.

Thats just it, when it rains you are not working.

Like I have said on previous posts, if a young spread can turn out many m2 a day then that shows what can be achieved by a spread. Divide the many m2 by a basic wage and there you have it, your m2 rate! Like mac said piece work output on a basic wage! We are fools to ourselves.

But I have seen this so many times before. Young spreads tearing their joints apart and they don't even know it. Come their 30's and they find they have to pack it all in, but some 20 year old will be there willing to jump in their boots.

Got a dry liner across the road from me, had to work all over the country and for rates not including digs. He has had enough and now delivers for Asda. Happier and no worse off!

Status
Not open for further replies.