price for coving

Status
Not open for further replies.

drakie

Anybody got any ideas what going rate is for 127 bg coving fix only.its a long time since i did any dont want to rob myself .

gyproc is around £22 a box for 3m. you know how much you earn an hour (or day. whatever) add that, plus a bag of board addy. done.

Too vague mate. Is it a new build? One room full up with furniture? A whole site of massive houses? Are the walls already painted so require scoring to make a key? Does my bum look big in this? Is the world flat?

Too vague mate. Is it a new build? One room full up with furniture? A whole site of massive houses? Are the walls already painted so require scoring to make a key? Does my bum look big in this? Is the world flat?

No, yes, no, yes, maybe and I don't think sooooooooooooooooaahhhhhhhhhhhhhh!

i love coving when its so big it nearly snaps when u pick it up. was nice only doing 2 lengths a wall tho. was a 30-40m lid aswell. never had the pleasure of 4.2. bet its orgasmic

Don't think its possible to lift a 4.2 on your Sweeney todd. Specially once you've got the addy on. I only ise 3m now anyway.

i love coving when its so big it nearly snaps when u pick it up. was nice only doing 2 lengths a wall tho. was a 30-40m lid aswell. never had the pleasure of 4.2. bet its orgasmic

Don't think its possible to lift a 4.2 on your Sweeney todd. Specially once you've got the addy on. I only ise 3m now anyway.

You're wrong Steve I used to put the 4.2 up myself, and Nick the feeling you got when you slapped those bad boys into place really was special.

I love coving because it is clean and easy money. 100-140 mtrs a day @ £2 a metre labour only. Almost as much fun as sticking my fingers up my bum.

140m is going some. that on your own? what sort of work is that? me and my old boss used to do about 8-10 boxes a day on site. and i found that a chore. he used to cut whislt i marked and measured, then i buttered, he stuck, i cleaned and filled. oh and i mixed. and cleaned up.

do u use a box or little triangle thing? think its a magic mitre or something.

140m is going some. that on your own? what sort of work is that? me and my old boss used to do about 8-10 boxes a day on site. and i found that a chore. he used to cut whislt i marked and measured, then i buttered, he stuck, i cleaned and filled. oh and i mixed. and cleaned up.

do u use a box or little triangle thing? think its a magic mitre or something.

On my own yes. 100m is an early day. I use an Artex mitre box for 4&5 inch (100&127mm) and one I made for Sculptured coving. That is on empty new houses though. Most I ever put up was 169 mtrs but that was a 10 hr day and an empty large house.

On my own yes. 100m is an early day. I use an Artex mitre box for 4&5 inch (100&127mm) and one I made for Sculptured coving. That is on empty new houses though. Most I ever put up was 169 mtrs but that was a 10 hr day and an empty large house.

fair play on that mate

169mtr bloody hell that's impressive Tony

thanks for all sensible and not so sensible suggestions.its a bungalow total reskim fully coved approx 15 boxes 3 metre long.cheers d*m**o its in flamboro by the sea.

Andy and tony, why do you use a mitre box?

Because in my honest opinion, those template things that sit on the cove and you slant your saw to make the cut are utter s**t. I bought one to try and it was in the skip in less than 10 minutes. How would you cut an angle that was a bit off, with that tool? Would you just cut a 45 and move the two pieces of coving either up and down the wall until the mitres met? With a mitre box, at least you can sit the coving in the correct position, albeit inverted, and cut 'off angles' outside of the box. The cove is then still the correct distance down the wall. Hope this answers your question.

thanks for all sensible and not so sensible suggestions.its a bungalow total reskim fully coved approx 15 boxes 3 metre long.cheers d*m**o its in flamboro by the sea.

Nice meterage. Charge what you can mate, but i'd be looking for £2 and a clear run.

I see what you mean tony. What do you use to fill your joints etc? Would be interesting to see how someone does it day in day out. Do you put pins up or just stick it up freehand? I've often thought of getting a flat square piece of metal for using to fill any internals, but always end up using my small tool.

I see what you mean tony. What do you use to fill your joints etc? Would be interesting to see how someone does it day in day out. Do you put pins up or just stick it up freehand? I've often thought of getting a flat square piece of metal for using to fill any internals, but always end up using my small tool.
I use a 10" Artex caulker and a 4" taping knife to butter up the cove and clean off with. Then I use a Harris tiling sponge, as it has 2 different grades of abrasion on it, and a small paint brush to wash off with. The adhesive should hold the cove in place on its own, but I do put a couple of 30mm sheradised pins through the full lengths to be safe. When i'm using the 4.2s I put a nail in the corner to rest it on while I push the rest of it into place.

Because in my honest opinion, those template things that sit on the cove and you slant your saw to make the cut are utter s**t. I bought one to try and it was in the skip in less than 10 minutes. How would you cut an angle that was a bit off, with that tool? Would you just cut a 45 and move the two pieces of coving either up and down the wall until the mitres met? With a mitre box, at least you can sit the coving in the correct position, albeit inverted, and cut 'off angles' outside of the box. The cove is then still the correct distance down the wall. Hope this answers your question.

Same as this exept I'm to tight to throw that mitre tool away and it's still a drawer in the unit.
Tony have you noticed that the quality of the paper on BG cove is poor now and if you rub just a little to hard with the sponge it peels?

Same as this exept I'm to tight to throw that mitre tool away and it's still a drawer in the unit.
Tony have you noticed that the quality of the paper on BG cove is poor now and if you rub just a little to hard with the sponge it peels?

Not really. The Sculptured cove paper has never been that hardy though.

Status
Not open for further replies.