Preparation for finish

solway

We scratched the external of a house last Feb at 40 sand to 2 bags of cement for each bin with 200ml evoplast waterproofer. 5 months later and it's now ready to finish. Mix at 27 sand,1 bag cement,2 shovels of lime and 80ml evostik plasticiser. The same load of sand is there since Feb and I'm wondering if it would still be ok to use as it wasn't covered at all. Also what would be the best way of preparing the walls for finish. Was just going to hose down each wall for 3 evenings in advance. After 5 months they are bone dry and the sand might be an issue due to it being exposed to all kinds of what not...

Hi mate I personally don't have the answer but all the best with the project hope you get it sorted..respect

:popcorn:

Bin it and get new sand.
It'll be filthy and full of contaminants. There'll be efflorescence and all sorts when you've done!
You need to be using washed sand

Cheers,there's about 10 tonne left over. I can see the clients jaw drop now when I tell him it's no more good,can u order another 10

Cheers,there's about 10 tonne left over. I can see the clients jaw drop now when I tell him it's no more good,can u order another 10
How many ton did you use in the scratch? it sounds like you mixed a ton and are your mixing at 20-1 for your scratch? And 27-1 for the top coat or are you on about shovels full?

Ha Ha,Jesus man no. 40 shovels to 2 bags of cement(10 shovels cement) and 27 to 2 bags for finish. Between scudding coat and scratching we used over half of a 20ton truck load.

As said in the 1st post it wasn't covered at all. Blocklayers were in using it after us aswell bedding caps around parapet walls.

the sand is to soft for rendering, if it can be used for bricklaying.
i would not count a bag of cement as 10 shovel full.

5 shovels of cement in a 25kg bag not 10. Client ordered the load of plastering sand. Bricky had no qualms using plastering sand to set the caps. Nice sand to scratch with.

Please check the sand for hedge hogs as they like make there nests in sand this time of year.

Ya she's a big 1,mortar bins and teleporter aswell. The hedgehog will give a good key to the render Ha Ha

That's a long time to leave between topping.

I would absolutely soak the hell out of everything for a good few days, we bought a cheap hosepipe before tied it to the scaffold and put pin holes in it and left it sprinkling for a couple of days.

With the sand if your adiment on using it take a barrow full off the top of it and see what its like, can you try laying on a couple of small pannels and see what its like?

Ya sure is a long time. Window suppliers left him down. Had a deposit given and all and they went bust. Good idea with the hose pipe. Waterproofer in the scratch aswell so it's going to take some soaking. The house has huge elevations so when we're going at it everything has to be spot on. Safer to get new sand I think. The old stuff can be used for ground works.

Is this sand usable. It's from February's load

Attachments

• 1468870926740.jpg
    1468870926740.jpg
    45 KB · Views: 186
  • 1468870946711.jpg
    1468870946711.jpg
    62.6 KB · Views: 200
Is this sand usable. It's from February's load
Doubt there will be enough, probably better buying some more and throw them two jars in, doubt it will make any odds ;) show us the scratch coat and we may be able to help you out on the finish.

Like you said if there's ground work going on after get some fresh gear it's not worth the hassle, if there is a problem the sand is gonna get the blame and so are you.