Pp or fibre glass fibres

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ajax123

hi all. I have mountains of jute scrims and hessian for plaster casting but want to try using polypropylene fibres as seen on some of the foreig u tube vids..... Have searched the Internet but can't find a supplier. Any ideas. I'm really just learning fibrous with my son so not in business yet so don't want bulk buys just enough to make maybe a couple of fire surrounds and ceiling roses....

We use them for GRC for external work,
Have tried them with casting plaster but not too impressed, much better results using the traditional hessian scrim .

Plasterwork.ie

I have never used them to cast with cos it's a long time since i cast anything lol but, I have had to try and fit some that have been cast using he fibers. I think they are a nightmare to transport and you have to treat the castings with kid gloves cos they are no where near as robust as a casting with jute scrim in.

Search eBay for 6mm polypropylene fibres. They're the right size for what you want. They won't fray or stick out but will still do what you need.

I was thinking more along the lines of the 100mm fibres they use in Spain. Like these ones in this vidthese guys are from Cheshire??

the plaster wont soak into fibreglass strands, so technically no where near as strong as you could pull the fibres out, where as hessian scrim absorbs the plaster.

Fibreglass works, but its a nightmare to handle and hessian is far more tried and tested.

Im experimenting with various ideas, including different materials, but I seem to keep coming back to the fact that hessian and timber lath with fine casting plaster is the best way to do it....

hi i agree with most of the guys who prefer traditional hessian and laths, for strength and fixing points however in the past we used to cast smaller products (ceiling roses /plaques with fibres in -(sissal ) firsting was just water and casting plaster, seconds the fibres were added this prevented the fibres surfacing

Status
Not open for further replies.