Possible 600m2 Plastering Job in South of France?

Members online

Status
Not open for further replies.

RHFINT

I am about to get quotes from local French builders for plastering out a new villa in South France shortly and I came across this site (hi all!)...

I read a few posts about plasterers seemingly very interested in travelling to France to do some work and so I am interested to know if there is actually a genuine interest?

I'd rather give the job to an English bloke/team so maybe you'd like to tell me if it would be cost effective for me?

I'd want the person/team to probably bring their own kit as french plaster does not work like English browning and fininsh so that means a 12 hour van drive in each direction, a ferry or chunnel crossing plus some hotel costs to add in (~£50 a night) so I guess that will add £500 to £700 on to any price...

Anyway if you are genuinely interested (I'd want to see some refs too naturally) then maybe you'd like to give me a good idea of a genuine price you could do the 600m2 job for (finished well and nice 'n smooth) including materials, labour, hotel and transport :)

Job to actually start immediately if the price is right! :RpS_thumbup:

Let me know?

Cheers

Hi, welcome to the forum. You should post some contact details as you can't be PM'd yet as your a new member.

Can you source knauf mp75 in France. It's bringing the materials all the way over. It's over 5 pallets of backing coat and a more then a pallet of top finish coat.

However if you used mp75 sourced locally it would make it more viable.

What sort of temperature is the weather there now? Where is it exactly, and what sort of block work has been used?

Last edited:
OK no problem I can be contacted at housebuild06 @ gmail.com (see it has spaces so needs joining back up by removing them).

Not sure why you need a photo as plaster > wall seems simple enough :)

Here is a photo though:

bedroomtoplaster.jpg

400m2 is onto brick (Monomur) and 200m2 onto block.

Attachments

• bedroomtoplaster.jpg
    bedroomtoplaster.jpg
    54.3 KB · Views: 440
Can you source knauf mp75 in France. It's bringing the materials all the way over. It's over 5 pallets of backing coat and a more then a pallet of top finish coat.

However if you used mp75 sourced locally it would make it more viable.

What sort of temperature is the weather there now? Where is it exactly, and what sort of block work has been used?

Knauf do not have a supplier here by the look of it - only in Belgium...

Temperature is 16 degrees Centigrade - sunny and warm :)

It's "brique" (terracotta) called Monomur for 2/3 and concrete block (basement) for 1/3.

OK no problem I can be contacted at housebuild06 @ gmail.com (see it has spaces so needs joining back up by removing them).

Not sure why you need a photo as plaster > wall seems simple enough :)

Here is a photo though:

View attachment 808

400m2 is onto brick (Monomur) and 200m2 onto block.

There are some quality one coat plasters and renders on the continent and this may make it more viable as Curry said, and there are lads that have travelled over to France in the past to complete works on a similar basis, i'm sure you will find some one from here shortly, just ignore the usual banter that you might find cropping up (and the pictures sometimes help provide a bit off peice of mind when someone's committing to travelling hundreds of miles to do a job they have never physically seen)

Banter? Plasterers? Can't believe it :)

There are some sites here which state the normal french rates per m2 and it seems that it is ~€10/m2 without materials and €16/m2 with materials so that would mean €9,600 or call it €10k...

Example: Prix moyen par m² pour du plâtre projeté - L'Univers des Experts

If CurrierPlastering is correct and it needs 5 pallets of mp75 in 25kg sacks (or equivalent) then on the Belgian Knauf site they quote the public price of €7.66 a sack.

€1 is around 84p at the moment so one sack is £6.43 retail with no discount at thios supplier: Materiaux Online - vos matériaux chez vous en quelques clics ! - Plâtre MP 75

There are 45 per pallet so being generous at x 250 sacks = €1,914.83 delivered or £ 1,600.

As the French labour only price is €10 or £8.40 per m2 then x 600m2 equates to £5,040 plus the plaster at £1,600 equals £6,640.

To get a proper English job done I would be prepared to pay a bit more than that to cover expenses like travel and hotel etc...

It needs doing very soon though so if it's of interest and I can be made confident then it's a real job for someone!

600m2is it on block work hardwall & set supply & fix approx £11 m2. Call mark on 07502141025 or 01707693126 to arrange

I went to Western France (just outside Geneva) last August to do a job for someone who found this site. It was 140m2 of re-skimming. I charged £12.50 a metre plus ALL expenses including European breakdown assistance, all meals, hotel (i insisted on a 3 star) diesel both ways, ferry ticket, motorway tolls etc etc. Left Friday morning, back Monday breakfast time but a lot of driving and a lot of hard work to get it on whilst there as it was 34 degrees. Said I would never do it again but I probably would as I went with a mate who shared the driving and went playing golf whilst I skimmed all day long and we had a right laugh on the road trip. I took 25 bags (he wanted some extra to sell or something)of skim in my van and I honestly thought my fuel pipe had split as it really sucked the diesel out all the way across France carrying that sort of load! So in short, to go all that way, it needs to be a good price as you lose 3 days travelling and recovering so that needs taking into account. £11 a metre supply and fix for float and set is way too low. What about the ceilings

Wonder if you could give it a really weak sbr mix and the old flickeroony with a tyro lean gun then sand cement you'd only have to supply the finish

Lol nick will love this thread, can you get 11mm by hand in one pass on those bricks or is it worth giving it a tight coat first

They don't suck the life out of it then lucious? Do they just give it a good drink, what's the key like on them too mate orbdo they rely on suction

Temperature is the key thats why the Spanish work mornings and evenings they need damping down i dont know about primers but the Spanish dont use them, my mate had the inside of his place done in SC as it was being spray textured painted and the builder said MP finish was to soft and easily dented whatever i didnt see it being done but the lads who done it not sure if they were Spanish or Russian done a spot on job so sand and cement is ok.

Used gips in Germany knauf product on what we call claypots same as mp75 £11 + expenses isareasonable price in this climate

surely them blokes can be dabbed... if they cant you might wanna call st modwen as they are building houses over the road from me and they are using the same/similar bricks to these and they are all dabbed........ just something you may wanna think about

Used gips in Germany knauf product on what we call claypots same as mp75 £11 + expenses isareasonable price in this climate

I'm sure you thought the same on another recent job mate, just don't go jumping in with both feet, like our friend Mr Stilton said earlier you have to take into account the few days that your travelling

I appreciate all the effort guys but from reading through this is strikes me that the lack of experience with the surface product together with the guessing game for how to cover it is not going to get me to a high enough confidence point :(

I'm an old fashioned browning and finish guy myself and from what's being said that aint gonna fly?

What on earth is "hardwall" and "dab" btw?

I appreciate all the effort guys but from reading through this is strikes me that the lack of experience with the surface product together with the guessing game for how to cover it is not going to get me to a high enough confidence point :(

I'm an old fashioned browning and finish guy myself and from what's being said that aint gonna fly?

What on earth is "hardwall" and "dab" btw?

As a few have said the MP75 is good on them "brique." If it's used in Spain then that's what you want over browning/hardwall. Don't lose confidence there's some good lads on this site!

Hardwall is a backing coat like browning and dab or dot and dab is sticking plasterboard to your walls with board adhesive.

Well, for my money. My opinion is that, firstly the price you think is reasonable, is too low. Especially for all the travelling and admin sorting getting gear to the job site. Second, I'd recommend you get someone with a machine to do it as that may give you some margin on price as meterage achievable is gonna be mire per day than by hand. As to the background, I'm sure the lads on here realise they're gonna be suction control issues, and over big hits that's an issue. Hence my machine recommendation. Provided of course you want plaster and not sand and cement with a skim over that.
As to your confidence levels, there are some of the best plasterers in the country on this site. Most of them come with websites and recommendations. People such as Warrior, currier, Richard, Henry, flynny etc ( apologies to any who feel they should be included here but Im just making a point). My point is these guys have been in business for years and make their living on recommendation. So you either want a quality job, by pro plasterers, or you may as well employ a 'spread'.
You shouldn't let a debate over products to use phase you.
Just my opinion of course.

Hi RHFINT i have a villa in spain and mp75 is very popular and when im over there do quite a few jobs with it. why dont you just sand cement the walls and skim? as easier bringing over 60 bags of carlite finish or Sand and Cement and skim with mp75 which you can get all materials delivered then just get a labour only quote? im off to spain on thursday for a week but will come and do it for you when i get back if you want... send me email steve@render-systems.com ps any rendering needed and what about ceilings?

Status
Not open for further replies.