ply wood

Members online

Status
Not open for further replies.
good question i'd use building paper then cover it in eml or rib lath if you want to keep it independant, then poss up to two coats of bonding and then skim

Actually i just done a extension that was built out of ply and it was all plasterboarded internally and on the external it was meshed and rendered, no paper just expamet! I didnt think it would work but i have been guaranteed by the architect it works :eek:

Agree with Regi Boy wood and paper a big no no , cowboy territory. Have lathed out joists etc on attic conversions and bonded, works fine.

Hello Mate
I have plastered over plywood many times when people have used it to box things in etc, I use Wicks plaster bonding agent on the wood, let it dry over night then skim the next day, never had a problem but thats down to the plaster bonding agent as it seals the wood 100% and provides a fantastic key.
Johnathon

surely wood expands and contracts in different weather hot/cold/damp/dry etc, over time wouldn't this cause problems?

Hello Mate
You may be right but I have yet to have a problem, I only have done it on boxed in stuff like pipes in a bathroom so generally quite small and compact, I guarantee all my work and no one has ever phoned ref a problem and i have been back to afew doing other jobs and its fine, once the wicks stuff has dried it completely seals the wood so this must stop any expansion.
Johnathon

wood will absorb moisture from the back as well as the front..
its common knowledge you just dont stick plaster straight onto wood end of, even if it aint caused problems in a week or two it will eventually and the question will be asked 'who plastered this? onto wood? surely not a plasterer?
nothing to stop people using 15mm or even 1/2" board as a SUBSTITUTE for timber, specially in boxing in situations...easier to cut/work with and when stiffened up down the external corners just as strong (if not stronger) than some of the pathetic bits of hardboard ive seen people use...(they even use plasterboard to make WALLS out of  :eek:)
if its already there in place, board over it...
the only exceptions i can think of are timber wall plates..(exmet prior to backing) and timber lintels (old buildings, again exmet prior to backing...preferably bridging the timber)
good example might be scraping plaster off door liners...comes off easy with no damage to the door liner....try getting it off board...or render....or hardwall...
btw if you ever DO plaster over wood...dont, ffs, tell anyone.. ::)

You are not suppose to do it but when i was learning the trade i done my bedroom and the chimney breast was boxed off with wood not knowing plastered on and its still there today bout 4 years ago now, :DSo i wouldnt do it any clients house but it does take sometimes!

You will come across situations where your not supposed to plaster but you do any way either due to lack of money on the job or time, like some one boarded a doorway and left the lining in as long as the customer knows what can occure then you shouldnt have any probs but i always let them know to cover your back if they want it done properly then it will cost extra.

Status
Not open for further replies.