Plastering over steel

Status
Not open for further replies.

user_removed

Has anybody used this method over steel.

Thistle bond it / blue grit

Bonding

Skim

Just priced a job and the steel is near flush with existing ceiling about 5/7 mm to work with, not enough to get a board in.

Ceiling is about 40 metres so she only wants it patching up, can't re board as she has coving.

Was wondering if the above method would be worth a shot.

Thanks in advance

Mac

why cant you blue grit it, then fix eml with pink grip etc, then tight coat of bonding.

Wey aye can u over board and keep the cove , board all the way round leaving a inch gap or what ever u like between cove and boards and apply beads which lip around edge of board and ur sorted ! Looks smart aswell

why cant you blue grit it, then fix eml with pink grip etc, then tight coat of bonding.

Could do, the steel runs parallel to the joists about an inch or 2 at either side, I could fix eml to joists after blue grit bond out and skim, I have a load of render mesh in garage, would that work just aswell?

Used some left over mesh on a curved staircase a few weeks ago, bonded over it and skimmed.

They haven't rung me back yet

Could do, the steel runs parallel to the joists about an inch or 2 at either side, I could fix eml to joists after blue grit bond out and skim, I have a load of render mesh in garage, would that work just aswell?

thats what we used to do, with eml. just make sure the girders had some oxide on it, so you've no bleeding issues down the line.

Bleeding? Rust spots coming through.

The steel is bare, nothing on it, does it need priming with something before blue grit/thistle B I

i think you should worry about the double crack your gonna get along it.
It really needs over boarding.
But if she insists on patching it i would fill the difference in board adhesive then embed some mesh well over the steel and throw some fibers in the first coat.

what about just painting the steel skim colour......................:RpS_unsure:

Double slab with half inch board ,give you a better rating than one fire board ,I'd never just bond and skim over ply !

I'm using The Plasterers Forum Mobile App

The steel should have been fireproofed but it hasn't.

It's sat in the ceiling now, so there's nothing much I can do and it's not my responsibility anyhow, I really doubt she will go for the whole 40m ceiling double fibreboarding.

That's between the builder, the customer and whoever signed it off.

I did tell her I could not guarantee it if it was patched, ideally I would take cove down and re board the whole ceiling but it's not my decision to make.

I did tell her I could not guarantee it if it was patched, ideally I would take cove down and re board the whole ceiling but it's not my decision to make.

That's all you can do so Mac ,,cheap and cheerful ,and at least if it cracks ,she has been told

Double slab with half inch board ,give you a better rating than one fire board ,I'd never just bond and skim over ply !

Far from recommending it, surely it's got to be better than bond and skim..

Far from recommending it, surely it's got to be better than bond and skim..

Well ,yea,it's should be recommended for fire rating alone ,I'm sure somebody would be accountable if the house goes on fire,and the steel has no rating,or is the cost of a bit of coving / cornice more important than people's lives ,things that make you go hmmmmmm

i would price to remove to cove, overboard the ceiling skim and replace the cove. anything else is to risky and it is you who will get the call back. the cost is the customers problem, any cracking will be your problem.

i would price to remove to cove, overboard the ceiling skim and replace the cove. anything else is to risky and it is you who will get the call back. the cost is the customers problem, any cracking will be your problem.

He already told her he wouldn't guarantee it ,and would possibly crack ,Malc,which it will ,I'm just curious ,is there no engineer or architect involved ,all these cost should have been seen before work commenced

He already told her he wouldn't guarantee it ,and would possibly crack ,Malc,which it will ,I'm just curious ,is there no engineer or architect involved ,all these cost should have been seen before work commenced

most likely the builder trying to cut corners so that he can earn extra money.

Wey aye can u over board and keep the cove , board all the way round leaving a inch gap or what ever u like between cove and boards and apply beads which lip around edge of board and ur sorted ! Looks smart aswell

Horrific look

Board up to cove and get a panel mould and bed on to edge of cornice /over new boarding. Makes it look like it's all one once painting and coving below ceiling.

If that makes sense?

www.michaeljadams.co.uk
Fibrous plaster mouldings.

I agree, do it right or don't do it.

Status
Not open for further replies.