Plastering over old tile adhesive in bathroom

Members online

siyoung72

Hi all,
I've posted this in a tiling forum too, so the first bit is probably only relevent to them, but would welcome input from pro plasterers, especially for the last bit part of the post.

I'm part re-tiling/plastering a bathroom, which as the pictures show, has masonary to one wall above the old bath (pic 3), waterproof-board on the back wall where the loo and shower were (pic 1 & 2), and plasterboard on the remianing wall (pic 4). I plan to re-tile where the original tiles were above the new bath, which will be in the same spot, with a shower and same full height tiling for the shower area, but plaster the rest, around where the loo was and on the remaining wall to the left of the loo.

There is a lot of old adhesive left on all the walls, as well as damage to the plasterboard above the water/power outlet for the shower was, which I will obviously replace (I have some spare off-cut board). I'd prefer not to have to reboard elsewhere. Is the best option to go over all the walls with bonding plaster to provide a flat substrate, or would it be better to re-board the loo/shower wall? On the masonary wall, do I need to scrape off the old adhesive, or just straight over with bonding plaster? Or can I even just use thick beds of adhesive over it?

If any plasterers here can advise, on the wall to the left of the loo, where pulled off tiles have ripped the plasterboard paper and left a lot of adhesive, again wondering if best to put a layer of bonding before skimming the entire wall, or if getting the worst off, then PVA and enough multi-finish to smooth out any remaining adhesive before final skim.... or reboard (worst option, but doable I suppose... haven't got a van, so would need to delay a day for delivery, so would prefer to get on with it!)

Any advice gratefully received!

Thanks

Si

Attachments

• IMG_3863.JPG
    IMG_3863.JPG
    498 KB · Views: 185
  • IMG_3862.JPG
    IMG_3862.JPG
    512.9 KB · Views: 181
  • IMG_3860.JPG
    IMG_3860.JPG
    759.7 KB · Views: 185
  • IMG_3861.JPG
    IMG_3861.JPG
    828.5 KB · Views: 176
Hi all,
I've posted this in a tiling forum too, so the first bit is probably only relevent to them, but would welcome input from pro plasterers, especially for the last bit part of the post.

I'm part re-tiling/plastering a bathroom, which as the pictures show, has masonary to one wall above the old bath (pic 3), waterproof-board on the back wall where the loo and shower were (pic 1 & 2), and plasterboard on the remianing wall (pic 4). I plan to re-tile where the original tiles were above the new bath, which will be in the same spot, with a shower and same full height tiling for the shower area, but plaster the rest, around where the loo was and on the remaining wall to the left of the loo.

There is a lot of old adhesive left on all the walls, as well as damage to the plasterboard above the water/power outlet for the shower was, which I will obviously replace (I have some spare off-cut board). I'd prefer not to have to reboard elsewhere. Is the best option to go over all the walls with bonding plaster to provide a flat substrate, or would it be better to re-board the loo/shower wall? On the masonary wall, do I need to scrape off the old adhesive, or just straight over with bonding plaster? Or can I even just use thick beds of adhesive over it?

If any plasterers here can advise, on the wall to the left of the loo, where pulled off tiles have ripped the plasterboard paper and left a lot of adhesive, again wondering if best to put a layer of bonding before skimming the entire wall, or if getting the worst off, then PVA and enough multi-finish to smooth out any remaining adhesive before final skim.... or reboard (worst option, but doable I suppose... haven't got a van, so would need to delay a day for delivery, so would prefer to get on with it!)

Any advice gratefully received!

Thanks

Si
Do it right and reboard it. Will take a couple of hours and much easier to skim