Plastering over old plasterboard

OldPlasterGuy

Hi all

Im currently renovating and old bungalow. The ceilings were covered in wallpaper and as I removed it the plaster came off too, so I've scraped all the old plaster off.

Just wondered if it is ok to plaster over the old plasterboard? Does it need some bonding coat first like PVA?

Thanks for reading

Hi all

Im currently renovating and old bungalow. The ceilings were covered in wallpaper and as I removed it the plaster came off too, so I've scraped all the old plaster off.

Just wondered if it is ok to plaster over the old plasterboard? Does it need some bonding coat first like PVA?

Thanks for reading

PVA but board is cheap....I'd probably re-board it.

re-board!
re-board!
re-board!

images

Hi all

Thanks for reading
just asking not having a go oldplasterguy how long exactly are u plastering because honestly asking a question like that to me just screams of inexperience even pealing off the wallpaper was a pure waste of time its plain and simple re board and skim

E
If board OK y re board lol pva half a day re board house days and material are they talking how many boards?
Did not see wall paper if it wood chip 100%re board but sometimes wallpaper comes off in 5minute if it s**t then I'd pva board

just asking not having a go oldplasterguy how long exactly are u plastering because honestly asking a question like that to me just screams of inexperience even pealing off the wallpaper was a pure waste of time its plain and simple re board and skim

Well I did a 3 week plastering course and I've done quite a few jobs since, for family, friends and for my grandmother's house that Im currently renovating but I don't do it professionally, I know my limits.

I know reboard is the best solution but Im not looking for perfection as it's a spare bedroom that will rarely be used. And the insulation above is this loose vermiculite, so it would be incredibly messy to take it down.

I guess the other option is to board over the old board. But If I can get away with plastering over the old board then I'd prefer to do that.

fair enough .what i would do is re board over the existing board only 4 and a half boards it would be alot easier for you and alot cleaner ,plastering over the old board could be a nighmare ,even when you polly bond or blue grit the suction can change also if the old ceiling is cracking you need to tape them .but your decision best of look with it let us know how it comes out

Well I did a 3 week plastering course and I've done quite a few jobs since, for family, friends and for my grandmother's house that Im currently renovating but I don't do it professionally, I know my limits.

I know reboard is the best solution but Im not looking for perfection as it's a spare bedroom that will rarely be used. And the insulation above is this loose vermiculite, so it would be incredibly messy to take it down.

I guess the other option is to board over the old board. But If I can get away with plastering over the old board then I'd prefer to do that.

When people said reboard, they meant overboard....tbh, most people will want to overboard if they can. You're going on to what multi was made for then, aren't you? No nasty surprises.

Probably be all right to pva and skim, but that's only probably.