plastering over glassfiberwallpaper

Status
Not open for further replies.

BG123

Hi all,

new here, so i might ask something already posted.

I want to hide a wall with glassfiber wallpaper by covering it with plaster.

I plan to use cement filled plaster, so the curing time is very short.

Reason is that i can add a thin layer vs normal plaster.

I want to add like 2-3 mm max on that wall.

Need some advice how to apply this cement plaster, i have been experimenting a bit with this kind of plaster, the 2-3 mm is very easily possible with it, even thinner, but the standard proces does not seem to apply here, as the cure time is soo short.

I tried wetting it with a sponge and flatten it, but lots of airbubbles was the result.

Who used this thing before, or who did already use cement in house and what is the process to get it nice and even.

Thanks Bart

Hi all,

thanks for the replies,

i live in Blegium, so my English sucks...:RpS_bored:

No joke here,

this glas fiber wallpaper is very commonly used here.

The type we have is not a falt version, but one that forms small squares about 1/4 inch.
Stripping the paperdown is impossible,as the glue used does not dissolve by chemicals, nor do chemicals protrude the paper and paint layers on the glassfiber.

I have tried it, the result is a lot of labour, the paper does not come of in big chunks, you rip it off, loeaving partially fibers on the wall, the glue remainders are so hard that you get an uneven wall with bits of glue, if you try to scape these bits of, the plaster comes off with the glue on it, making the whole thing even worse.

Spoke to a few guys who do plastering for a living, told me the only way to do it , is plaster over it.

Asked a few guys to make a quote, told me it will be too expensive to quote as the wall is in my living room, they would need to cover up everything, move furiture, al lot of reasons, came down to the fact that the wall is not big enough to make money out of it, they rather do a complete house in stead of twirking in front of my wall.

So again; standard plaster cannot be used; the layer of approx 1 cm is too thick,so i want to use cement plaster, here is a link to the product i want to use; Produkt is ARDEX R1

Wandegalisaties*-*ARDEX GmbH

It is plaster but has cement added to it, hence it hardens much faster (30 minutes), would be similar to palstering cement on a wall i guess.

Bart:RpS_laugh:

Hi Jessop,

not sure if Ardex 828 can be applied in a few mms, the max the wall can have is 3.5 mm.

Need to check the tech docs i think.

Paint it? The house is build in a rural style, chalkpaint is mandatory, chalkpaint on glasfiber results in small squares, like a mini chessboard, but than a 12 ft high chessboard, dizzy guaranteed.

We painted it with normal paint, but that ruins the effect, imagine you buy a Ford Mustang and want to have racing stripes on it, so you get the car to a local painter to add those racing stripes, next day you pick up your car, with the strips running from door to door, in stead front to back. You do have your racing stripes right? But the effect you had in mind was a bit different.

Same with using Chalkpaint on fiberglass, no fiberglass has to go.

the page didnt translate very well. what about the redymixed stuff? put it on best you can and sand it smooth it might be the easiest option for you.

is the glassfibre fitted direct on to wallpaper blocks? on has the blocks been skimmed then glassfibre?
you should be able to hire a hand held scrabbler machine to cut the the glasfibre off.

Malc,

thanks,

the glasfiber is the wallpaper and its glued directly on the plaster.

Maybe the size i need to mention;

130 m2, roughly 1300 sqrft.

If i had to cover up only a few m2s, i had no problem, but its a lot to do, height of wall is 285 cmis 285 cm (112 inch).

So i'm really trying to find someone who used cement as plaster to share experiences.

Bart

Malc,

thanks,

the glasfiber is the wallpaper and its glued directly on the plaster.

Maybe the size i need to mention;

130 m2, roughly 1300 sqrft.

If i had to cover up only a few m2s, i had no problem, but its a lot to do, height of wall is 285 cmis 285 cm (112 inch).

So i'm really trying to find someone who used cement as plaster to share experiences.

Bart

when we where working in the low courtries we did use a cement/ tile adhesive type of material on bathrooms and wet rooms to receive tiles. we applied it straight on to wallpaper blocks, just lay the material on, not ruled and rubbed up with a sponge. the areas that we where working on where only small ,metre square.
it was in powder form we just added water.
why dont you approch a local plasterer/ stuctador as you do have some very good materials at home. that would sort your problem out.

Last edited:
Thanks all for the many replies i get here.

Seems this Tasso glasfiber paper is widely used in Belgium,

you only have to apply it once, and it will stick to a wall a lifetime,

So for those who are sick of it, removal is a nightmare and costly operation.

To take it of myself, i need to buy a special removal gel at 570 euro for my needs, the proces of remaoval includes applying htis gel for 24 hours, cover the walls by a sealing plastic foil for those 24 hours, to prevent the gel to dry out too soon.

Than scape off, re-aply locally for the really sticky surfaces.

Than palster those sticky surfaces, as plaster will come off.

So the removal proces for the large m2 i need to cover is a nogo.

The cement plaster is recommended by Ardex to me, as it has 2 major benefits for my use;

1 it sticks much better than a standard plaster
2 it can be applied in only 2 mm thick.

and another one, i do not need to place metal corners on every window and door anymore, just skim off on the existing ones.

I guess i just have to jump in the deep and go for it.

I tried a small surface and it applies very easily, but when i sponged to smooten out, i got airbubbles, so i just think i need to wait a little longer for sponging, or no sponging at all.

my real problem is optimism, nothing else but cheer childish optimism,

i can do it, sure i can,

made a walk in dressing room, costed me 9 months, made a build in wall cabinet, 12 ft * 10 ft, costed me 6 months,

me and my big mouth, now my TOWGO is expecting me to do it...:RpS_wink:

(TOWGO;TheOneWhoGivesOrders)

Status
Not open for further replies.