Plastering or rendering

B_bo

Hi all,

I have recently removed plaster from the bedroom wall on the upper storey of my house, following a report from a surveyor that diagnosed hydroscopic salts in the plaster. I have removed the old plaster back to brick on this wall, and installed a membrane (Permaseal 3 if anyone's interested).

In the instructions (link) it advises that the wall finish can be plaster, render, hydraulic lime or plasterboard. I don't want to use plasterboard as I'm not installing mesh over the entirety of the wall, only the section affected by the chimney damp.

My intention for the room was, after I have covered the mesh, to get a professional in to give the entire room a skim just to smooth over and tidy up the room.

Could anyone advise me, which out of Plastering (the manufacturer recommends Tarmac whitewall one coat), or rendering, is the most suitable for my purpose, bearing in mind that I wanted to get someone in after Christmas to skim, or at least tidy up the imperfections in the rest of the room?

thanks

Hi all,

I have recently removed plaster from the bedroom wall on the upper storey of my house, following a report from a surveyor that diagnosed hydroscopic salts in the plaster. I have removed the old plaster back to brick on this wall, and installed a membrane (Permaseal 3 if anyone's interested).

In the instructions (link) it advises that the wall finish can be plaster, render, hydraulic lime or plasterboard. I don't want to use plasterboard as I'm not installing mesh over the entirety of the wall, only the section affected by the chimney damp.

My intention for the room was, after I have covered the mesh, to get a professional in to give the entire room a skim just to smooth over and tidy up the room.

Could anyone advise me, which out of Plastering (the manufacturer recommends Tarmac whitewall one coat), or rendering, is the most suitable for my purpose, bearing in mind that I wanted to get someone in after Christmas to skim, or at least tidy up the imperfections in the rest of the room?

thanks
Get a plasterer in then let him do the research