Plastering in Australia

Members online

LouisT94

Hello All,

New to this forum stuff but wanted to share my idea of heading to australia and working out there for a while in hope of receiving some advice and information on what its like to work as a spread out there - if anyone has any advice they could give me as to what i should expect and/or prepare for i would really appreciate it, thanks!!

They wouldn't let me in because we had a disabled child ,20years ago. A guy at work told me about his mate who joined him in Perth. He had lots of Plastering work. Good lifestyle, big house. Boat ect. Been there several years. His wife insisted they return . with 2kids. She missed her mum and sisters. They sold up come back . 3months later she fell out with all of them . It's a big step. I think it's easier for men.

Hello All,

New to this forum stuff but wanted to share my idea of heading to australia and working out there for a while in hope of receiving some advice and information on what its like to work as a spread out there - if anyone has any advice they could give me as to what i should expect and/or prepare for i would really appreciate it, thanks!!
@BigBruvOfEnglandUK

Hello All,

I worked in Melbourne for 12 months mate are you going out there as solid plasterer i was rendering internal an using a white set finish it was a white lime finish oh and the pasterboards are 18ft long

Hello All,

@Daniel Turk

Hello All,

Not letting people in till next Christmas whith covid!

Hello All,

You'll be lucky to get into Oz in the next 12 months. There's Australians living abroad who can't even get back into the country at the minute and there's an 18 month waiting list. Bypass Oz and head to NZ southern island, plenty of work in Christchurch still after the earthquake flattened everything.

Hello All,

I live just outside Melbourne. Plastering here is mostly dry lining and mostly by young Chinese lads. Hardly any whites doing it now. Rendering is mostly done by Afghans.
I've been here just over 4 years and never done any plastering or rendering. Just brickwork now.
It's a police state here (Victoria) now because of covid-19 so it's not that great living here at the moment. Lifestyle might be better in other states. The weather in Victoria is better than the UK but still a bit s**t in winter. Lots of people here move to Queensland if they can but there's not so much work up there.

I live just outside Melbourne. Plastering here is mostly dry lining and mostly by young Chinese lads. Hardly any whites doing it now. Rendering is mostly done by Afghans.
I've been here just over 4 years and never done any plastering or rendering. Just brickwork now.
It's a police state here (Victoria) now because of covid-19 so it's not that great living here at the moment. Lifestyle might be better in other states. The weather in Victoria is better than the UK but still a bit s**t in winter. Lots of people here move to Queensland if they can but there's not so much work up there.
Looks like it’s not the country it once was.Chinese and Afghans ffs.Don’t even have them here on building sites.Sounds like another race to the bottom.

Fuk me ots vhanged when i was there where abouts are you mate i was in south wantirna near the dandenong mountains worked in toorak an places like that in the city

Reactions: Djr
Fuk me ots vhanged when i was there where abouts are you mate i was in south wantirna near the dandenong mountains worked in toorak an places like that in the city
Just outside Frankston. Most of our work is around Cranbourne area. Loads of houses going up, m8.

Looks like it’s not the country it once was.Chinese and Afghans ffs.Don’t even have them here on building sites.Sounds like another race to the bottom.
The Chinese dry lining gangs seem to be mostly young guys on foreign workers visas. Most of them don't speak any English but they often have a foreman that does.

I was planning to go to Perth . Buy a screed pump and crack on. A mate said it was all block work , rendering.ect . Back then.

I worked in Melbourne for 12 months mate are you going out there as solid plasterer i was rendering internal an using a white set finish it was a white lime finish oh and the pasterboards are 18ft long
its just an idea at the moment mate but i dont think i would be too fussy as to what kind of plastering it would be, the white lime finish sounds pretty cool - anything to get me away from multi-finish for a while ahaa, me and my friend want to move to sydney for a while so any kind of plastering work i could get i would probably take! heard the money is pretty good out there aswell

Was thinking of going to sydney mate, know what its like up there at all?

You'll be lucky to get into Oz in the next 12 months. There's Australians living abroad who can't even get back into the country at the minute and there's an 18 month waiting list. Bypass Oz and head to NZ southern island, plenty of work in Christchurch still after the earthquake flattened everything.
yeah i did hear this absolute nightmare! haven’t thought of going to NZ although i know a few people that went over there and loved it, might have to put that on the cards then

Depending on your age my advise would be, get trained up in roped access work, get on for a firm here that dose structural and civil work. Get tickets for dumpers and 360's while you're on. Then head out there. My eldest and his mate did it. They made well into six figures a year.
What also helps, a lot, where ever you are in the world is who you know, just as much as what you know and, probably more so out there.

I was planning to go to Perth . Buy a screed pump and crack on. A mate said it was all block work , rendering.ect . Back then.
Yeah, I have heard Perth is all blockwork. Around here it's all timber framed.
A lot of people from elsewhere in Australia moved to Perth for work but the work died down a lot a couple of years ago and loads went back to where they came from. I don't know what the current situaion is though, m8.

You sound like the down under Hector mate.

You sound like the down under Hector mate.
When we came to Australia our plan was to stay with the mother-in-law in Melbourne for a little while and then probably move up to Queensland but the m-i-l's health had deteriorated a lot since we had last seen her and she needs us nearby so Mrs BigBruvOfEnglandUK can help her. I would like all 3 of us to move to Queensland but the m-i-l doesn't want to move and Mrs BigBruvOfEnglandUK can only put up with her mum in small doses and doesn't want her living with us. There's always been a bit of friction between the two of them so I'm having to put up with things that were really not a part of my original plans and now we've got Dictator Dan Andrews and his f**k**g "Covid normal" bullshit to really put the icing on the cake, Tapit m8.

In Australia there is very minimal uk plastering, 95 percent is dryline tape and joint , the race to the bottom has been well underway for 15 years thanks to Chinese guys on student visas, we had a great 30 year run of aussies, English, Italian and Yugoslav guys making great money with great benefits but it’s all just a memory now. Industrial relations laws and corrupt union leadership mean that you really have to know someone to get a decent gig in the bigger cities . Don’t get me wrong you can do ok with abit of luck , not the country it once was though

In Australia there is very minimal uk plastering, 95 percent is dryline tape and joint , the race to the bottom has been well underway for 15 years thanks to Chinese guys on student visas, we had a great 30 year run of aussies, English, Italian and Yugoslav guys making great money with great benefits but it’s all just a memory now. Industrial relations laws and corrupt union leadership mean that you really have to know someone to get a decent gig in the bigger cities . Don’t get me wrong you can do ok with abit of luck , not the country it once was though

Thats a real shame. Look like the only way out of this one is to learn Chinese and subbie work out to them.

Thats a real shame. Look like the only way out of this one is to learn Chinese and subbie work out to them.
The cfmeu (construction trades union) did stop them all from working for 2 weeks in June and promised that by end of this year there will be no foreign nationals on student visas taking all the jobs but I work in the city everyday and there is still thousands of them troweling apartments, Corina virus restrictions on international students could possibly help

I grew up with my father constantly talking about Australia as he had worked there in the 50’s. He said anyone living in the U.K. would be mad to stay and would be much better off in Australia. It seems things have changed for the worse! The Chinese are taking over. What a shame!!

I grew up with my father constantly talking about Australia as he had worked there in the 50’s. He said anyone living in the U.K. would be mad to stay and would be much better off in Australia. It seems things have changed for the worse! The Chinese are taking over. What a shame!!
It’s a nightmare mate, blokes who fought for conditions and pay rises in the 80s/90s/00s are sitting at home while the jobs are full of illegal punk 21 year old chinamen working for peanuts all day and night

Racist!

Hello All,

Has leaving Europe stopped people living in Australia or is that just the EU countries. I'm telling you bet half the people are wishing the voted to stay in whith new rules coming lol