Plastering "Hits"

Status
Not open for further replies.

NickyBlake

ok so im a fairly new plasterer ive done a bit in the past, just did a C+G and im doing some bits and peices on my own and im after a bit of advise for doing areas that require more than 1 bag\mix,

ok so you prepped a wall etc and lets just say the walls 30m you put the first 15m on knock up another halfway through putting that one on you need to trowel up the first one cos its starting to go? do you go back flatten that off then carry on putting the second mix on which is probably starting to turn by then also? any help would be appriciated!

You keep falling back on yourself, you don't have a second spare, 30m2 isn't to much to control to start with, I have some big sets coming up shortly I will get a vid and post it, might give you a good idea how it's done

Nicky you're not very good which is why you can't do much .....there's no magic secrets

mix a bigga bucket lol
scots right though 30m2 isint that much to control unless its a bad batch or it going of on u do a smaller aera if u dont feel confident enough to do it in 1 hit do it in 2 and joint it in middle if u can where did u do ya C+G?
if you start to panic your in trouble and it will just go down hill belive me i know lol
ull get quicker and more confident over time

good advice spunky.dont worry nick,you will get it with practise.first lot on then,mix up second then take 2 mins to sweep over the starting point.just knock the top off it then it will stay good until the 2nd half is on.dont panic,if you need too brush the edges in before knockin flat.

ok so im a fairly new plasterer ive done a bit in the past, just did a C+G and im doing some bits and peices on my own and im after a bit of advise for doing areas that require more than 1 bag\mix,

ok so you prepped a wall etc and lets just say the walls 30m you put the first 15m on knock up another halfway through putting that one on you need to trowel up the first one cos its starting to go? do you go back flatten that off then carry on putting the second mix on which is probably starting to turn by then also? any help would be appriciated!

Get a couple of scoops of cream of tartar in the mix and you'll defo get it in one hit till u get ya speed up marra.......:RpS_thumbup:

get a big gorrilla tub from wickes that can hold 3 bags and a 4 pack of red bull and swing ya trowel about like a muther hopeing it all works out in the end:RpS_thumbup:.
what is the hit onto??

im not "very" good no, i havnt been doing it that long tho on a serious level, i dont think im doing to bad,this is the job i was referring to..i had to stop and go back to trowel up the first mix, it was more awkward....along that hallway up the stairs then along and up another set of stairs, 1 big wall on 3 floors basically, the guy did say he was "well chuffed tho so thats all that matters i suppose!

Plastering "Hits"

You keep falling back on yourself, you don't have a second spare, 30m2 isn't to much to control to start with, I have some big sets coming up shortly I will get a vid and post it, might give you a good idea how it's done
nice 1 mate that would help loads! i went back but only after i knocked another up! i think thats where i went wrong i should have flattened off then knocked up again!

i personally would get it all on 1st , then fall back and flatten it all in .
i dont think im quick enough to get that all on in 1 hit mate,

mix a bigga bucket lol
scots right though 30m2 isint that much to control unless its a bad batch or it going of on u do a smaller aera if u dont feel confident enough to do it in 1 hit do it in 2 and joint it in middle if u can where did u do ya C+G?
if you start to panic your in trouble and it will just go down hill belive me i know lol
ull get quicker and more confident over time

i went to able skills, im going to do the NVQ aswell but im going to goldtrowel it for that!

good advice spunky.dont worry nick,you will get it with practise.first lot on then,mix up second then take 2 mins to sweep over the starting point.just knock the top off it then it will stay good until the 2nd half is on.dont panic,if you need too brush the edges in before knockin flat.

this definatly makes sense and i think this would work for me, i went wrong making a new one then while i was putting it on i stopped and went back! the whole time the second one was going aswell

Get a couple of scoops of cream of tartar in the mix and you'll defo get it in one hit till u get ya speed up marra.......:RpS_thumbup:

i heard this before , on here i think! how much more times does it give you?

get a big gorrilla tub from wickes that can hold 3 bags and a 4 pack of red bull and swing ya trowel about like a muther hopeing it all works out in the end:RpS_thumbup:.
what is the hit onto??

hhaha i hit some proplus! i was sweating something chronic... i didnt have time to set up a ladder for the high bit at the top of the stairs i was standing on the handrail, hawk and trowel in hand and my head pushed into the artex ceiling to keep me wedged in, in a sitting position the guy must have thought i was a nutter...

Speed comes from experience and confidence it's got nothing to do with running around like a looney

Speed comes from experience and confidence it's got nothing to do with running around like a looney
i appreciate that, thats why im trying to find out where i went wrong, im a time served bricklayer so i understand its about experience and technique and not smashing it on the wall as fast as i can, i`m just looking for advice on working practise`s, i put so much pressure on myself by trying to finish it in one go and not going back to flattening it untill i was "running around like a loony" all`s well that ends well????

If you have got a big area to do just get another spread in to help you, especially if its a ceiling. Walls are not so bad easier to roll the set with a labourer.

Last edited:
you did it though so what's the matter?, plasterings all about doing it there aren't any shortcuts

If you haven't been plastering that long 30m2 is alot to be spreading on your own. One way of speeding up is by getting you first coat on quickly and flat. That saves time flattening in. Also kill the suction on the background with bonding agent.

Status
Not open for further replies.