Plastering a 3.5m high ceiling

Members online

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi I am new to the forums but have been running my own plastering business since February.

I have just looked at a job and the ceiling is 3.5m high and with a hop up I won't reach it, I don't have any stilts does anyone have an alternative?

Cheers
Stuart

unless you're over 6'6 you wouldn't reach off stilts anyway.
personally i'd use an ali tower.

You could put one set of stilts on top of each other and strap them together , takes a while to get used to but can be done.

bloody hard work on a big ceiling though, little one maybe but i tried a big'un once using the 'platform' mode of the supersteps and by the time i'd got halfway round i was sick of it...
planks if its any size...

Have any of you guys seen how they make the soak aways on site with those green long crates...?

Well I robbed 2 off site and when they are stacked on top of each other I can reach 3m ciels lovely they about 3x longer than a normal crate... but still hard work but its does the job

Danny

you want to hire a double ali tower for sure and have a labourer with you to push you round. I would not recomend any other.

Decking out as bodplasterer says. Only downside is not everyone has access (pardon the pun) to all that gear. And hiring it would be a no go, given that people want jobs done for next to nothing nowadays!!

Having said all that, i've done loads of ceilings that height from large, lightweight stepladders! Just be prepared to bust a gut for a couple of hours while you get the plaster under control!!

Last edited:
Hire the trestles and planks from ur local hire firm.
Around my way the charge £ 4 per trestle and £1 per plank for 2 days hire and £10 delivery.
i usually have 3 trestles with 4 planks on top of them .On a standard size room i have 6 trestle with 4 planks on each then i create a bridge between the 2 scffolds with smaller planks across it. So i crreate a H frame.

The only trouble guys is its a 3.5m high ceiling so trestles are not really an option for safety reasons plus also you are creating loads more work by using them. A double ali tower is perfect for the job simple.

Lightweight stepps. up and down like whore's drawers but it's quick and simple! I've got a kitchen ceiling on tomorrow over artex that's about 3 metres high and i'm using stepps. Can't be arsed carrying all the scaffold up 4 floors.

The lighter the steps, the easier to move around on. BUT.............I fell off mine last year n broke me f*kin wrist, so tek it easy Casper!

Aye you need to keep your wits about you. I nearly broke my neck running down 4 floors this morning to get another bag of dust. Somebody had just washed the stairs!!! Could have been very nasty!!!

im gona have a go at building some trestles at the weekend - i only weigh 9st if im lucky so dont need to worry much about load capacity!

Status
Not open for further replies.