Plasterboard onto the underside of RSJ?

Members online

Harry01

IMG_1155.JPG
Hi,

I've recently had new sliding doors installed as part of a renovation project and to accommodate these a large steel joist sits over them to bear the weight of the wall etc. The joist is 4m long and whilst I am happy to use noggins for plasterboarding the front face I cannot work out how to secure board to the underside because the doors sit in the midpoint. I wondered if it was possible to use an adhesive for this purpose or is there a more effective way? I am conscious that I need to use a fire retardant board or double up with standard board.
The picture attached shows the narrow (50mm) gap I'm referring to.

Any advice would be welcomed.

There's a foam you can use to fix them mate but you will have to prop the boards till it sets. (y) dry fix or something it's called??

ive never used foam, i should try it but i worry about using new stuff sometimes that im not sure i like the sound of. thats why ive never used uni. i may give foam a go on something like this. normally if space is tighter i say small dabs, lots of

ive never used foam, i should try it but i worry about using new stuff sometimes that im not sure i like the sound of. thats why ive never used uni. i may give foam a go on something like this. normally if space is tighter i say small dabs, lots of
It's not just the typical canned foam joiners come armed with its only for fixing boards. When not much tolerance to play with its handy stuff chuck

i'll have a look into it. have you dry lined whole walls with it?
No as you need to prop the boards as we know foam (no matter what grade) expands. Defo leave dabbing to adhesive but I prefer floating in my rubber ring with hardwall or my favourite sand/cement (y)

No as you need to prop the boards as we know foam (no matter what grade) expands. Defo leave dabbing to adhesive but I prefer floating in my rubber ring with hardwall or my favourite sand/cement (y)
that makes sense, i met someone who dry lined his walls with it and thats what put me off!

that makes sense, i met someone who dry lined his walls with it and thats what put me off!
It's like anything chuck. Personal preference but for the record I was very doubtful over this fixing foam till I helped a mate on his job and I was sold once I saw it for myself. You know where I am chuck if you need a lift (y)

It's like anything chuck. Personal preference but for the record I was very doubtful over this fixing foam till I helped a mate on his job and I was sold once I saw it for myself. You know where I am chuck if you need a lift (y)
Round our way they still don't give a f**k if you use dab adhesive.
They don't even check double board.
It could be falling down and still get a pass round here.
Some right dodgy control officers

Round our way they still don't give a f**k if you use dab adhesive.
They don't even check double board.
It could be falling down and still get a pass round here.
Some right dodgy control officers
I couldn't work for people like that mate. I'd walk

I couldn't work for people like that mate. I'd walk
It's the building inspectors that are the problem around here.
I went to look at a job last month
A cockney fella got a house down here tenants done one so wanted to sell. Decided he was going to convert the loft.
With no building knowledge at all and armed with a book.
He turned the stairs around! Started converting loft doing this and that.
Made stairs to loft out of scrap timber (these were stairs not a ladder?).
Anyway was a total joke.
I said how the f**k has this passed inspection.
He goes straight away only thing I got pulled on was there needs to be a corridor from stairs it can't go straight into kitchen.
I kid you not there was electrics go until around corners some exposed some just chipped into plasterboard.
It was a total joke.
Needless to say I did one.
But that's what we're up against and they wonder why there's so many cowboys.
It's because they get away with it

View attachment 16357 Hi,

I've recently had new sliding doors installed as part of a renovation project and to accommodate these a large steel joist sits over them to bear the weight of the wall etc. The joist is 4m long and whilst I am happy to use noggins for plasterboarding the front face I cannot work out how to secure board to the underside because the doors sit in the midpoint. I wondered if it was possible to use an adhesive for this purpose or is there a more effective way? I am conscious that I need to use a fire retardant board or double up with standard board.
The picture attached shows the narrow (50mm) gap I'm referring to.

Any advice would be welcomed.
Nice tidy site. That padstone looks a bit pissed? Overhang the noggins at the front and screw some 19mm batten into the top of the doorframe with grab adhesive on back against beam and side against frame.

cut 3x2 wood really tight fit into face it leaves a bit of wood protruding pink grip roofers lathe(25mm) at the side on flat steel then screw front part into 3x2 double board then your 50mm gap is filled . make sure pink grip set before you double board it

It's not just the typical canned foam joiners come armed with its only for fixing boards. When not much tolerance to play with its handy stuff chuck
Toolstation stock it. Low expansion foam. Intended for using solely with plasterboard. made by dow and called insta stik ☺ also fire rated.

I would just use self tappers to drill a hole then swap it for a SS screw jobs done mechanically fixed, or just use foam/gripfill