plaster stands and boards

Status
Not open for further replies.

chrisjack231

Private Member
hi this is my first post,looks a great forum btw,
i have been plastering now for about 10 years on and off and last year decided to go it alone and work for myself
anyways recently decided to buy some new tools
i wanted to buy a new plaster stand and board but didnt like the look of anything
what i decided to do is buy 2 steel adjustable trestles and a 15mm ,1000x1000mm pvc board
i own stilts and couldnt see the point of buying 2 stands one for normal work and the other for when using my stilts,
the trestles i bought from screfix for around £14 each and they will adjust up to 51inches
most of the members on here may think im mad buying a solid piece of pvc for a board,but the reason i did was i was so fed up of replacing them after a short peierod of time and felt plastic would not absorb the moisture from plaster
also thought that plastic would clean really well so not to have old cement and plaster build up which ends up coming off when taking plaster from it
you all may think im mad ,but i thought doing it this way it would cover all the situations i needed and would last for ages

doesnt sound mad to me infact you might be on to something there your right plastic prob wont absorb the moisture from the plaster like wood does might give it a try myself ;)

hello mate and welcome ;)
i dont use a stand meself, or stilts for that matter...i always take it straight out the bucket with a bucket trowel and have recently bought one of those fold up ladders that triples up as 2) large very table steps and 3) a 3ft working platform/hop up that does me a 3m ceiling....still gotta drag it around but it works for me... :D
like the pvc idea, if your gonna use a board all the time you might as well have one that aint gonna put splinters in your mix eh? just wondering were you managed to get your hands on a lump of pvc 15mm thick and a metre square??must have cost you a fortune!!! not exactly a stock item is it!! unless its a laminated section?? in which case id have reservations about it 'de-laminating' when the water gets under it (which it will)...

one of the best tips i ever seen on here to adjust a standard plastering trestle (the fold up ones like 2 double H sections...) its in tips and tricks...stick 4 bits of 22mm copper on the top tubes...so simple its genius!! plus you can still get the fold up trestle up the stairs/in the car/van/shed without dislocating your ankles or somebodies furniture...

still, the trestles u got will come in bloody handy with 4 scaffy planks and theres times when once thats set up it makes life a lot easier...rendering a bungalow etc...

good luck with the new business btw... :cool:

i got th sheet from a website i can put a link up if anyone is interested,
yes it was not cheap i must admit it was £60 delivered,which is one hell of a shell out for what it is,but i have got it and its proper strong,smooth as anything and i think its gonna work really well
it will last a lifetime imo.and im really pleased with it
yeah i used to take it st8 out of the bucket with a bucket trowel,and i still do depending on the size of the room,when your covering a large area i find it easier to get it slopped on a board and it does not go off as quick,i find being left in a bucket if you slighty mix it up a wee bit thick,it heats up and starts to turn a lot quicker,
i would recommend the metal trestles from screfix for how cheap they are,i put mine together last night and so far im impressed
i also still use the 3 ft-ft platforms,i have 4 different heights for different jobs,
again i use them depending on the size of the room/ceiling,
i cant fault the platform/hopups apart from shinning my self several times on the bottom step lol

id be interested in one of those big pvc boards if you could send me the link, £60 seems alot for a big slab but i guess the benefits are worth it, i dont usually have problems with splinters or old plaster piling up as i allways clean the board down after each mix and even wet it down with a brush before putting the mix onto it, still, a pvc board would be great, immagine the ammount of meat you could chop up and prepare on it in the summertime while having a big BBQ  ;)

i just looked mines 12mm thick but thats plenty strong enough,they guy i spoke to said you could use 10 mm in pvc as its very strong
i set mine up as a dry run last night to see how strong it was,so i put the board on the trestles and sat on top ,its proper strong lol

heres a link,you can choose all different thicknesses
http://www.directplasticsonline.co.uk/home.php

i will take a picture of mine and post it up later

lol nice 1, think ill go for 15mm or something, sure when thats fully loaded up with plaster its bound to start to bend after a while, hope not tho :(

used the 12 mm board today with my 2 trestles underneath,i loaded it up with a mix of 2 bags worth and it didnt bend or anything,really strong,and also it worked a treat .the plaster was just as good with the last bit used as it was with the first,
really impressed today i was,also it cleans up a treat

right thats it! im sold  ;D all i need now is the money to get one! was quoted £38 for the gyproc bladerunner from jewsons http://www.gyprocbladerunner.com/ which i cant really justify paying that for so a new spotboard it shall be  :cool:

i just had a look at that blade runner,looks quite good that,once they come out i may have to invest,
i found a good deal last night on the Bosch GSR10.8V-li And GDR10.8V-Li twin set,
137,95 for both and with 2 batteries with free delivery
good for plasterboarding if anyone does a lot
http://www.toolstop.co.uk/bosch-gsr10-8v-li-and-gdr10-8v-li-deal-p3497

be careful, mate of mine's got the drill/driver and its not quite powerful enough, don't know about impact driver though.

bought a bladerunner today on impulse, travis 30 quid+ ,bit expensive for what is actually is (2 roller knives like a tile cutter) and magnets but by god it works well, does exactly what is says on the tin, a good buy imo...

they wanna be knockin it down to about 15 quid in a bit tho..i reckon theyll be the next thing for tackers and dryliners, we'll wonder what we did without em..
says on the packet to watch out for the bladerunner tape measure...theres a little groove on the side that takes the clip end so we'll see if it stops them little cracks you get in the tape from bending it that nearly take your thumb off when it snaps... :D

did you need a trade account with travis perkins bigsegs? i rang jewsons as they were nearer and they had no idea what i was on about but said they would ring me back with details, sure enough theyu did ring back and they had ordered some in and they will be coming in today, but deffo be available next week, if i can get one cheaper at travis P then i'll go there, save me £8 so it will ;)

only been in travis a couple of days, bloke on counter didnt even know what it was, just sittin there in its display...its 30 + vat so its around 35...nowt in it, tho the bloke did say the rep was comin down to do a demo so if you find out when jewson are doin likewise youll at least get a free bacon butty out of it! and a demo of course... :D
o that was cash btw...only popped in for a thin stop bead...

haha nice 1, gotta love those bacon butties, shame when your arrive late and they're stone cold ::), might just have to pull out a disguise and visit travis P and jewsons, gotta love the free bacon ;D shame them cutters cant cut the 9.5mm boards

it does, says 12.5 and 15 on the packet but i tried it on an offcut of 9mm and it worked fine...

I cant get one of them cutters for love nor money near me, not in stock for a week here yet :mad:
So i tret meself to a new 96 piece socket set and a set of drywall knives ;)
Retail therapy with tools its great

hmm did it cut both sides of the paper fine with the thin boards? jsut checked my bank and i dont think ill be gettin one for a few weeks now, sodding credit crunch, i need tools :mad:

Status
Not open for further replies.