plaster repair with plasprime

Status
Not open for further replies.

qazwsx123

I had my cracked ceiling reskimmed the plasterer used plasprime then a skim coat. All was well then 6 months later larger cracks appeared it seems as though the skim coat did not stick properly to the plasprime, is there a solution to this problem.

i would not have thought the plaster wouldnt have stuck to the plasprime. The plasprime is used to provide a good key for the skimming. Are the cracks in the same places they were before it was skimmed??. Did the plasterer put scrim tape over the cracks??

stock-photo-4321182-treading-on-eggshells_zpsf016bc21.jpg
zipper-mouth_zpscdac7d8a.png

Have you got any pics of the ceiling ??.. was the ceiling in a poor state before the reskimming or was there just a few cracks??

I had my cracked ceiling reskimmed the plasterer used plasprime then a skim coat. All was well then 6 months later larger cracks appeared it seems as though the skim coat did not stick properly to the plasprime, is there a solution to this problem.

Call BG and tell them their products failed, other wise get it boarded and skimmed

I can't really see what people expect from putting 2mm of finish on top of an obvious issue is going to solve

No. I explain that if anything goes wrong with my work ie cracks or falling off etc I shall fix it free of charge. If for example its a bedroom board and skim and someone puts a foot through the ceiling then obviously its nothing to do with me. What im not going to do is come back in months time because the 30 year old 9.5mm artex boards I overskimmed have cracked.

Yes I may lose some customers by doing this but I also never go back to jobs fixing problems because the customer wanted an overskim

When you asked for quotes, what were the options presented to you? Did no-one offer to over-board it?

No. I explain that if anything goes wrong with my work ie cracks or falling off etc I shall fix it free of charge. If for example its a bedroom board and skim and someone puts a foot through the ceiling then obviously its nothing to do with me. What im not going to do is come back in months time because the 30 year old 9.5mm artex boards I overskimmed have cracked.

Yes I may lose some customers by doing this but I also never go back to jobs fixing problems because the customer wanted an overskim

So it's a verbal thing, how long do you cover new work for?

To be honest mate ive never really thought about it. Never had a call back so havent had to deal with it. What would you suggest?

I suppose six months or a year is plenty.
We don't mention guarantees but if something fails that is our fault then we would always sort it out, although I can only remember one time that it's happened. And that was a crack along a ceiling line where we'd overboarded and skimmed just the ceiling, easy fix with decorators caulk.

Plasprime is a good bonding agent: it was never designed to eliminate cracks.

Scrim tape also prevents cracks where a substrate has been joined. It was also never designed to eliminate cracks.

Skimming over a ceiling that has cracked previously will not solve the problem because there is an underlying issue that is causing the cracks. If you overboard the ceiling, you may find that cracks appear along some of the joints after a few months: most of the time they will originate from the centre of the room where there is the most flex in the joists. You could go further and line with 12mm ply and then overboard. It's a matter of economics but would you really want to go as far as checking the joists for a crack free ceiling? :)

Status
Not open for further replies.