Plaster in the eye

Mick1995

Hi all am new to this site been plastering about 7 years just started off on my own and this week I got a big blob of plaster in my eye doing a ceiling daft mistake but it happened I had a 90 percent burn across the eyeball so was thinking of using goggles when doing a ceiling because I never want that again haha any advice on the best goggles out there if anyone uses them
Cheers

Did well to get to seven years.

Here's my tip if it happened
Get straight to clean water. Don't rub it or try to open your eye. Then just chuck loads of clean water on it. Keep some eye wash in van for after .

Might not look cool, but I wouldn't blame you in the least for playing things safe by wearing goggles. I wouldn't laugh at you at all. Far too often, I see various trades taking risks by not wearing eye, ear or respiratory protection - it actually amazes me how careless trades seem to be, in general, when it comes to PPE.

I always use goggles when I use an angle grinder, but other than that, I wear safety glasses:

ffx.co.uk/product/Get/Bolle-Cobpsi-3660740006129-Cobra-Safety-Glasses--Clear
ffx.co.uk/product/Get/Bolle-Slapsi-3660740001087-Slam-Safety-Glasses--Clear

Might not look cool, but I wouldn't blame you in the least for playing things safe by wearing goggles. I wouldn't laugh at you at all. Far too often, I see various trades taking risks by not wearing eye, ear or respiratory protection - it actually amazes me how careless trades seem to be, in general, when it comes to PPE.

I always use goggles when I use an angle grinder, but other than that, I wear safety glasses:

I just squint when I use a grinder that way it risks me of chopping my fingers off and getting something in my eye

Get straight to clean water. Don't rub it or try to open your eye. Then just chuck loads of clean water on it. Keep some eye wash in van for after .
Yes fuk me I get it my eye every other week half the time going round spotlights hate them fukin holes in boards on lids

Hi all am new to this site been plastering about 7 years just started off on my own and this week I got a big blob of plaster in my eye doing a ceiling daft mistake but it happened I had a 90 percent burn across the eyeball so was thinking of using goggles when doing a ceiling because I never want that again haha any advice on the best goggles out there if anyone uses them
Cheers
Always blink it out and never rub it and use loads of clean water, and all ways have eye wash in the van. My old apprentice picked a full bucket of cement powder up and a big puff of it went straight in his eye worst I’ve ever seen , Had a massive gable half top coated and had to drop tools and rush him to a&e good job cause doc said much longer and he would of lost his eye. Serious shitt your eyes but amazing how quick/well they recover.

I got plaster in my eye when I was an apprentice was a f**k**g Ball ache worst part was I walked into the bathroom door and then bounced of the door into the frame with a massive blob of plaster in my eye and just stuck my head under the tap,the gaffer was cracking up the w**k*r,was abit touch and go about going hospital though he told me to go I said I'll leave it until the next day and see how it goes but luckily was OK just red and sore for a couple of days

wash it out with jizz, neutralises the acid in the plaster.
giphy (29).gif

think that's what it boils down to......trades taking risk of personal injury over not looking cool
bit like kids who don't want to wear a helmet when riding bike with mates because it's not 'cool'

wash it out with milk, neutralises the acid in the plaster.
milk is actually acidic PH 6.7 to 6.9. Plaster of paris is close to neutral so it's likely the small amount of additives to products like multifinish that make them irritant. Gypsum in the eye is much less concerning than a caustic substance like hydrated lime which is found in modern renders.

hydrated lime is around ph 12.4 which is about the same as caustic soda(lye) a product which is used to rip fat apart and turn it into soap.

If you have seen the movie fight club. Tyler Durden makes soap from human waste from lipsuction clinics using lye and uses it as branding:

Fight Club (3/5) Movie CLIP - Chemical Burn (1999) HD

The only issue is that adding viniger to lye would create a lot of heat and a secondary burn on the skin. So yes so ignore Tyler. Wash it off with plenty of running water.

Alkali's are far more destructive than acids to the skin due to Liquefactive necrosis - or in other words turns your skin and muscle into soup. Often gradual and painless allowing the process to travel deep without the worker noticing.

The real danger is prolonged skin contact with wet material and in particular soaking into clothing or cloth gloves and holding it against the body as this poor chap found out :

milk is actually acidic PH 6.7 to 6.9. Plaster of paris is close to neutral so it's likely the small amount of additives to products like multifinish that make them irritant. Gypsum in the eye is much less concerning than a caustic substance like hydrated lime which is found in modern renders.

hydrated lime is around ph 12.4 which is about the same as caustic soda(lye) a product which is used to rip fat apart and turn it into soap.

If you have seen the movie fight club. Tyler Durden makes soap from human waste from lipsuction clinics using lye and uses it as branding:

Fight Club (3/5) Movie CLIP - Chemical Burn (1999) HD

The only issue is that adding viniger to lye would create a lot of heat and a secondary burn on the skin. So yes so ignore Tyler. Wash it off with plenty of running water.

Alkali's are far more destructive than acids to the skin due to Liquefactive necrosis - or in other words turns your skin and muscle into soup. Often gradual and painless allowing the process to travel deep without the worker noticing.

The real danger is prolonged skin contact with wet material and in particular soaking into clothing or cloth gloves and holding it against the body as this poor chap found out :

use semi skimmed.

think that's what it boils down to......trades taking risk of personal injury over not looking cool
bit like kids who don't want to wear a helmet when riding bike with mates because it's not 'cool'
Look there's a helmet on a bike..... Then casper emerged from the bushes!