Plaster in the eye

Status
Not open for further replies.

vissy123

Managed to get a dollop in my left eye the other day, ended up in A and E getting a full bag of saline poured into it. Won't be doing that again. Anyone else done it ?

Everyone at some point in their career, it can do a lot of damage due to the quartzite ,that's why goggles are part of ppe but I never have worn them,

Only a small amount,read how others have done the same as you though.always like a crafty swish in the mouth when hitting a ceiling:-0

I've done it loads of times. A bit of swearing and running some water over my eye and I've been fine. Stings a bit though.
Can't see me changing now and wearing goggles.

i worse goggles for a while but i couldnt find a nice pair with a case that diddnt scratch so i gave up, but when i got plaster in my eye i was in hospital for days having it flushed out and cleaned it had set behind my eye so it took a while to get to

Yeah full dollop right on the eye.

I was skimming kitchen ceiling over artex.Arrived on the job, and fook all had been moved.Had to work around stuff, and move one of those big fook off American style fridges around.Anyhoos was getting piised off and flustered and i got a right eye full off the edge of the trowel.I jumped down, and tried swilling it out, but no good.I went back and flattened out as best i could with one eye hahaha.I told owner will have to run me up A+ E to get it sorted.

They spent an hour running that saline solution on my eye then running PH strips over it to make sure it was back to normal...bastid painful.

When i asked how the job was they said it only needed a slight grinding.

Last edited:
Done it twice that needed hospital treatment. Couple of litres of fluid ran through the eye...right as rain.
Not nice though.

Talking of lime....my nephew thought it would be hilarious to snort a little. It WAS hilarious!!!
Heh heh hospital told him he was lucky he didn't die lol.

Yeah full dollop right on the eye.

I was skimming kitchen ceiling over artex.Arrived on the job, and fook all had been moved.Had to work around stuff, and move one of those big fook off American style fridges around.Anyhoos was getting piised off and flustered and i got a right eye full off the edge of the trowel.I jumped down, and tried swilling it out, but no good.I went back and flattened out as best i could with one eye hahaha.I told owner will have to run me up A+ E to get it sorted.

They spent an hour running that saline solution on my eye then running PH strips over it to make sure it was back to normal...bastid painful.

When i asked how the job was they said it only needed a slight grinding.

Yeah the PH strips was the worst bit about it. No warning just jabbed it straight in there.

I had a similar one before xmas. Doing an artex, got an eyeful - I blames the ripples
Then I managed to cut between me fingers through me gloves with the trowel. Got to the bathroom upstairs after trying the kitchen sink and stuck the shower head on it full blast for a few minutes. Fcuk that hurt.

Got downstairs, managed to trowel up with blood spurtin outta the glove.

never again, but if it happens again I'll be finding a shower head again. Sod cupping your hands you need to get gallons of the stuff in there.

it happened to me years ago with artex , i did a small cupboard spoke to the women, took a look-back up at cupboard ceiling SPLAT IT FILLED MY WHOLE EYE, same as wash-out at the ozzie :) never again LOL

Happened to me twice once about 15 years ago and trip to eye infirmany where they have a nice shower head wash thing and then antibiotics cream in it for a week. second time was this year and was in the middle of a big f off vaulted ceiling i had to jump down of the scaff and nipped outside turned the garden hose on and washed it for 10 mins was sore but luckily no hospital visit this time.

i ave attended a&e 4 times in 2 years. always wear gogs when roughing on and laying in. if you know anyone who works in a quarry see if they can get you an eye solution they use for alkaline burns. its much better than saline.but my oppo tells me its well dear stuff.

had the lime mortar mix in the eye ...my mate knocked to much up and forgot about it in the mixer on a hot summers day,as you can imagine it was baked onto the inside of the mixer ! i started the thing up and the mortar just went round with the drum chucked some water in it and bam! the lot dropped and splashed me in the face up a and e and the usual saline and dyes poured in and was given steroids for my eyes and a few more appointments for the hospital. had plenty of skim and stuff in my eyes over the years but lime is a different kettle of fish that was not nice!

Guy i was working for in Oz got a splash of Lime putty in his eye ... lost some of his vision . Great stuff to work with but not nice even when it splashes on your arm etc. Got a few lime burns from mixing render as well ... not good with the heat as becomes infected very quickly

Only ever had 1 small splash of finish in my eye from ceilings ... washed out luckily

Done small lumps a few times but that's standard, but same as you, done a massive one once and ended up in A n E, finished the ceiling mind you, with one eye closed, we're spreads, we're ******* nails ;) treat that ceiling like a fellow Conrad in the army, make sure he's alright before you rush to hospital with blood pissing out of bullet wounds.

Deffo should wear goggles, **** me Id not wanna do it again in a hurry! That bag of solution felt like they were squirting it in my eye for about an hour! As said above, can cause long term damage and loss of sight as it burns the eye, so be careful dudes!

lol, had it in my eye many times over the years, long as you dont rub it! and wash out under tap, you wont need to go to A n E

You've obviously not had a big lot mate.. the odd little bit is fine and naturally washes out, but drop a massive lump in, whilst your eye is completely open, the **** gets all under your eye lids, absolutely everywhere, it cains and you can't not rub it as you are wiping it off the rest of your face, A n E is a must! I couldn't open my eye or see properly for hours afterwards!

You've obviously not had a big lot mate.. the odd little bit is fine and naturally washes out, but drop a massive lump in, whilst your eye is completely open, the **** gets all under your eye lids, absolutely everywhere, it cains and you can't not rub it as you are wiping it off the rest of your face, A n E is a must! I couldn't open my eye or see properly for hours afterwards!

Eye thats it.

Part of the trade getting splashes in the eye now and again. As someone said, cupboards are the worst as you cant get your head out of the way. you can normally feel it slipping off the back edge of your trowel, the times ive just shut my eyes as space was too tight and got my face covered... But an actualy eye full... never had that since I was 18-20 yr old. You learn to keep your head aside when applying ceilings. However, another tale here. had an assistant through enterprise training. ( useless training company rules) All theyre interested in is ticking boxes, not making a tradesman out of them. Under all circumstances and jobs they must wear protected footwear ( fair enough) his vis ( ok ) gloves, hard hat and goggles. Now when youre on a site and scaffold etc I can understand all that but doing a ceiling off hop ups in someones house... wtf. The vision in goggles is obscured even on new ones before they get scratched to f***, gloves: you cannot get the feel in your trowel for the necessary pressures in different areas, hard hat: also obscuring vision and doing a great job of scraping the plaster off the ceiling as your doing your work. So I told him on domestic jobs ditch the gloves goggles and hat. So the poor kid got a right eyefull and i mean a good one. Im halfway through laying down so i couldnt jump down to help him for long. screaming the place down he was, thought his eye had been gouged out , rubbing it to hell so was as red as a baboons arse. Surprise surprise he had to go home then to doctors/ hospital. So ofcourse I was to blame by the college, threatening me with HSE etc.. Couldnt understand wearing all that gear one CAN NEVER do plastering properly. Sorry for the rant chaps :)

Freestrider ,is that a picture of you in your eye protection you use as an avitar ?lol.

fkin poofs, iv had eye fulls in the face and long as you dont rub it! you ll be fine, just running water in eye and blink, remove lumps by dabbing tissue in corners or where ever under lids etc.... only if you rub it will you scratch the eye. it does hurt like fk mind, i know.

perhaps we need to design a all in one mask and hardhat ...always liked the storm trooper look... hmmm dragons den style !! may the force be with us

done it too. dollop in right eye. trip to a and e later in evening. they used some wash then blue die to look for any scratches. doc said there were a couple but very minor and no cause for concern. wear goggles all the time when doing a ceiling now as the missus would kick **** out of me if i dont

I was skimming under stairs little curved ceiling 1st coat really thick to get the curve 2nd coat bit of movement were scrim tape looked up just as scrim tape was falling..... Scrim tape wrapped around my face! Then had to walk half mile to taps, then drive home about 30 miles..... Oh yeah then got a style about three days later.

I was skimming under stairs little curved ceiling 1st coat really thick to get the curve 2nd coat bit of movement were scrim tape looked up just as scrim tape was falling..... Scrim tape wrapped around my face! Then had to walk half mile to taps, then drive home about 30 miles..... Oh yeah then got a style about three days later.
Was it a Gangnam style.:RpS_biggrin:

Status
Not open for further replies.