Plaster coming off screw heads

Any joy with the screw head situation today?

Checked all me clout nails that I skimmed today..All good

Carpets get fitted Monday

I be on another job by then though

Not on that site today but done another new build today and the grippers didn't cause any problems, we've asked other site managers and they said they get the odd one now and again.

the site in question are getting them every time carpets are being fitted, ten in one house we fitted recently.

Plasterers won't scrim screw heads on site? They would if they got paid for it....
I know what you mean we have extras put on our job too with no extra pay like screwing grips on stairs the worst is scraping all the silicon off the skirting board and arcs so we can get a good finish flush to the skirting,
that can take 2 of us up to a hour on a full house,
But the main one is scraping up all that f***ing plaster you guys leave on floor haha

When you fit carpet don't the gripper sit close to the skirting? Always skirting with carpet right? How high are they popping from? Me personally thinks this is a wind up cos who would think that scrimming over 2000 screws in a house would be the answer to solve the problem,all I can do is point you in the direction of YouTube and your find your answer

Bib and braces, put your scrim over entire run of screws will 99% eliminate the problem but sounds like screws driven too far into the board or missed the joist. No pay for scrim on screws tho

When you fit carpet don't the gripper sit close to the skirting? Always skirting with carpet right? How high are they popping from? Me personally thinks this is a wind up cos who would think that scrimming over 2000 screws in a house would be the answer to solve the problem,all I can do is point you in the direction of YouTube and your find your answer

No wind up mate, yes gripper rods are fixed 6mm away from skirting board, in the new builds we are doing at the moment when we are fixing gripper in the bedrooms above on the perimeter or the house, the plaster is coming off screws underneath in the living room etc, but only on the perimeter of the home none in the middle of rooms where we also fix gripper above.

So it would only mean running a length of tape down the screws that are along the perimeter of the home 4 walls, it wouldn't take much time, yes if you were to do it on every screw it would be time consuming and you'd want to get payed I understand that, but it's getting to the point now where site manager was asking us to screw gripper down upstairs because he doesn't want to touch up holes in the plaster.

No wind up mate, yes gripper rods are fixed 6mm away from skirting board, in the new builds we are doing at the moment when we are fixing gripper in the bedrooms above on the perimeter or the house, the plaster is coming off screws underneath in the living room etc, but only on the perimeter of the home none in the middle of rooms where we also fix gripper above.

So it would only mean running a length of tape down the screws that are along the perimeter of the home 4 walls, it wouldn't take much time, yes if you were to do it on every screw it would be time consuming and you'd want to get payed I understand that, but it's getting to the point now where site manager was asking us to screw gripper down upstairs because he doesn't want to touch up holes in the plaster.
I can't see that happening if I'm honest with you a bloke on price won't be thinking about when carpets are going down will screw heads pop he will just do what he has done for years get it done and move on

Checked the clout nails today

Still not popped off
Exactly the same in the 1930s built council houses round my way..

Clout nails rule

I reckon they are sending screws too far in piercing ivory paper face, then it will pop the plaster on any slight movement , it use to happen on clout nails more.When clowns was boarding for you and not pushing board back far enough or sending nail too much in

Clouts rule
Plaster coming off screw heads

Work of art

still use clouts to fix beads. Carpenters are the fookers who always over do the screws and push them in to far.:muyenojado:

So its us against you... either we do unpaid work extra scrimming or you do unpaid work screwing.
Hhmmm...what do you think?

Exactly.

Nobody has mentioned it might be no fault of the boarders. It looks like you want a solution to a problem you may be have created, but dont want to be put out, and fix or prevent it from happening.

Exactly.

Nobody has mentioned it might be no fault of the boarders. It looks like you want a solution to a problem you may be have created, but dont want to be put out, and fix or prevent it from happening.

Me being a none plasterer I was assuming it could be an easy fix with tape, putting a length of scrim tape on 4 walls would take a matter off seconds for you guys, but to screw a full house in carpet gripper would take hours,

I wouldn't expect plaster to come off screw heads that easy but it has been in this one particular site, like some of the replies saying it could be a number of reasons.
But no way plaster should come away from a bit of carpet fixing , if that were the case every bang on the floor above would result in a new patch to fill.
It turns out the joists may have play where they meet the perimeter walls, like I said its only happening on the outside walls.

We've been having problems with the plaster coming away from screws in the new build properties where carpets are being fitted.

It seems to be happening only where the grippers are being installed, we are not using excessive force just a little more than the weight off the hammer, none of the screw heads have had scrim tape.

would scrim tape solve the problem?
Is scrim tape used over screws?

It seems to be happening only in one site and on the outer perimeter walls of the house where the screws are in the region directly below where the gripper is installed in the rooms above.

Cheers
Sounds like plasterboard being jammed 'too' tight up against ceiling. Should have at 'least' a 1/4" gap between ceiling and wall - OOPS!

the only time we have had screw heads pop was on a barn conversion where the regs chap wanted 100mm of celotex over the joists which made boarding a c**t for the chippy as he needed massive screws.

The first room popped screw heads and then after that we scrimmed the lot up and it has been fine since...

Cant remember the last time we have made the decision to do it...

Id the screw heads are popping it means theres a gap behind the board so when people walk over it (assuming its first floor) or bang things about the boards moves a touch a knocks it off. If its a nail hammer it back in and screw either side then patch. If its a screw same practice but screw it in anyway.
The grippers are hammering btw thats why it happening just badly fixed board I come behind some people who leave screws that miss timbers that also causes it

We've been having problems with the plaster coming away from screws in the new build properties where carpets are being fitted.

It seems to be happening only where the grippers are being installed, we are not using excessive force just a little more than the weight off the hammer, none of the screw heads have had scrim tape.

would scrim tape solve the problem?
Is scrim tape used over screws?

It seems to be happening only in one site and on the outer perimeter walls of the house where the screws are in the region directly below where the gripper is installed in the rooms above.

Cheers
There's no way plaster would pop off a screw unless it's loose and screws don't loosen unless there loose
Scrim over screws is a load of b*ll***s

b*ll***s a building site is a building site You're just too small too take on large contracts

we have taken on large contracts, years ago, there are 10 plasterers in my family and with a few pals we could be competitive on a large contract. in boom times it is easy to collect the payment in slack times they are a nightmare.

i like to be in charge of the finance not some building contractor. therefore now my youngest son, he is 43 and myself only take on quality work, no rush, we cover our money by 2 o clock and go home with no stress.