Plaster coming off screw heads

throwamixin

We've been having problems with the plaster coming away from screws in the new build properties where carpets are being fitted.

It seems to be happening only where the grippers are being installed, we are not using excessive force just a little more than the weight off the hammer, none of the screw heads have had scrim tape.

would scrim tape solve the problem?
Is scrim tape used over screws?

It seems to be happening only in one site and on the outer perimeter walls of the house where the screws are in the region directly below where the gripper is installed in the rooms above.

Cheers

P.s it's the carpet fitters fault

Definitely

Thanks for the reply but would scrim tape sort this problem?

I wouldn't say its carpet fitters at fault as it's not happening on internal walls upstairs, it's easy to say carpet fitter fault but what I want to know is what could solve it?

the screw may not have gone home completely, we do scrim screw heads but we do not carry out basic site plastering.

It's happening straight after installation of carpet gripper.
So?

Drying or shrinking timber will make the screw stick out ever so slightly more than when it was first fixed, at which point a little vibration is all that's needed for it to 'pop'

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks for the reply but would scrim tape sort this problem?

I wouldn't say its carpet fitters at fault as it's not happening on internal walls upstairs, it's easy to say carpet fitter fault but what I want to know is what could solve it?
Basically No

Scrimtape over screw heads is not going to do anything

Absolute waste of time

Scrim is for joints
Simple

Go back in time 100 years and scrim was on joints never on screw heads or nail heads

Easy fill is the answer which is a simple and well known part of a painter/decoraters job

The plaster adheres differently to drywall screws than the plasterboard Imo. The vibration from the hammer works up the stud work , and plaster pops off the screw head.

So?

Drying or shrinking timber will make the screw stick out ever so slightly more than when it was first fixed, at which point a little vibration is all that's needed for it to 'pop'

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Cheers
I will have a word with site manager

Where they have popped have the screws missed the joists? This can also happen if the screws have not been sent home enough or have been sent home to far.

Where they have popped have the screws missed the joists? This can also happen if the screws have not been sent home enough or have been sent home to far.
I don't know if they've missed the joists or not, we are the carpet fitters so the house is finished when we start but it does mainly happen only around the outer perimeter of the building and only on this one site. Not on any other sites we are working on.

Exactly
So easy fill is the answer
And to be honest the decorators should do that it's snagging,it's not your fault,it's not plasters fault.
Not many decorators around now just painters..
And the site manager probably has not got a clue just wants to blame someone so its off his list to do

Exactly
So easy fill is the answer
And to be honest the decorators should do that it's snagging,it's not your fault,it's not plasters fault.
Not many decorators around now just painters..
And the site manager probably has not got a clue just wants to blame someone so its off his list to do

I catch your drift now :)

Check the screws that pop to see if they are loose it shouldn't happen and will pop again if not fixed rather than just filled.

The clouts are great when some clown did not push the boards back and row after row just popping before final trowel, loved them days

Had a similar problem on site the studding was jammed so tight to the ceiling joint any vibration on the floor on the stud would pop the screws