Plaster coming away from angle bead?

stephen_m

Hi,

Has anyone seen this happen before?

I hired a plasterer last week, earlier this week the room was almost dry, I noticed the plaster is coming away from the angle bead?

I've kept the room ventilated (window open) and made sure the radiators where turned off.

The rest of the room is fine, and the plasterer is happy to come back and fix it. It looks like the plaster hasn't stuck to the bead, is this something that can happen?

It's happening almost the entire length of the bead (top and bottom), there's a bit in the middle where it's ok.

Lower down, not shown in the photo, I've pressed against the plaster where it's come away from the bead. I wanted to see if the rest of the plaster further away from the bead was ok - it is, seems solid.

Can anyone offer any suggestions as to what to do?

My plasterer wants to pull it all down and redo it all - I'd rather not have to do that, as the rest of the plaster looks fine.

I guess at the very least, we should knock off the plaster that's come away from the bead.

Would that be enough, then re-plaster? If so, any recommendations to help stop this happening again? PVA the bead? Perhaps scrim tape over the bead?

The other angle beads in the room are fine, it looks like something has just gone wrong. I'd really appreciate some useful feedback.

Picture hides the quality you can see , as regarding the delaminated bead , at a guess the end of the board was under that side , not PVA 'd , which sucks the moisture out of the plaster and hey presto , no tape as well as bead not stuck into first coat , oops got carried away , sounds like I think stapling beads is diy doesn't it lol

Thanks @Havagojo. So, should I suggest removing the plaster that's dried out. Apply PVA to the bead, and perhaps add a small amount of PVA to the plaster mix - and then re-plaster the bead? Should I request the bead to be scrim taped as well?

Hi,

Has anyone seen this happen before?

View attachment 34773

I hired a plasterer last week, earlier this week the room was almost dry, I noticed the plaster is coming away from the angle bead?

I've kept the room ventilated (window open) and made sure the radiators where turned off.

The rest of the room is fine, and the plasterer is happy to come back and fix it. It looks like the plaster hasn't stuck to the bead, is this something that can happen?

It's happening almost the entire length of the bead (top and bottom), there's a bit in the middle where it's ok.

Lower down, not shown in the photo, I've pressed against the plaster where it's come away from the bead. I wanted to see if the rest of the plaster further away from the bead was ok - it is, seems solid.

Can anyone offer any suggestions as to what to do?

My plasterer wants to pull it all down and redo it all - I'd rather not have to do that, as the rest of the plaster looks fine.

I guess at the very least, we should knock off the plaster that's come away from the bead.

Would that be enough, then re-plaster? If so, any recommendations to help stop this happening again? PVA the bead? Perhaps scrim tape over the bead?
No idea why it's coming away like that, never seen that happen. The quality of the plastering looks terrible though. You're going to need some filler and sandpaper me thinks

Are you sure you hired a “plasterer” and not some idiot down the pub who has got some tools kicking about because it doesn’t look very good pal

Thanks for all the responses, this is a very helpful forum.

I've picked off some of the plaster that's come away from the bead - it came off very easy. The plaster before the bead, next to my finger in the picture below feels solid.

As mentioned in my first post, the plasterer is coming back to fix this. He's suggested pulling it all out and starting again. That's quite a bit of work (which he's going to do for free).

The plaster around the affected area seems ok, do you think it's necessary to pull it all down?
  • I thinking of removing the dried out plaster all the way up the bead
  • Add PVA to the bead, in the hope the new plaster will stick to it better
  • Add a mix of PVA to the new plaster
What do you think of this approach? Or should I go with the plasterer's suggestion and completely redo?

IMG_0990.jpg

Thanks for all the responses, this is a very helpful forum.

I've picked off some of the plaster that's come away from the bead - it came off very easy. The plaster before the bead, next to my finger in the picture below feels solid.

As mentioned in my first post, the plasterer is coming back to fix this. He's suggested pulling it all out and starting again. That's quite a bit of work (which he's going to do for free).

The plaster around the affected area seems ok, do you think it's necessary to pull it all down?
  • I thinking of removing the dried out plaster all the way up the bead
  • Add PVA to the bead, in the hope the new plaster will stick to it better
  • Add a mix of PVA to the new plaster
What do you think of this approach? Or should I go with the plasterer's suggestion and completely redo?

View attachment 34797
They’ve probably beaded over the timber dowel

that's my thought.....maybe @stephen_m can tell us if there were the original wooden corners on externals before re-plastering?
it looks a messy,rough ass job overall to be fair.

See photo below:

Side A - Some plaster had fallen off near the corner, so it was bonded before plastering
Side B - The front of this was a wood panel, we put plasterboard over it.

Would wood underneath the plasterboard cause the plaster on the other side to dry out in this way?

Would applying PVA over the exposed bead and re-plastering fix this issue?

IMG_0990.jpg

See photo below:

Side A - Some plaster had fallen off near the corner, so it was bonded before plastering

Would wood underneath the plasterboard cause the plaster on the other side to dry out in this way?

View attachment 34802

Only one way to fix that mess......

giphy (37).gif

See photo below:

View attachment 34802
So he's plastered over the side of the bit of wood hasn't he, under the bead on side A. That's expanded and cracked it. The plastering is awful which you don't seem fussed about?
You should be asking for you're money back and get the room plastered properly by an actual plasterer

The side that was bonded has a fair bit of blistering which suggests that it was hit to early or left to dry out and nothing was done to control the suction prior to skimming. The only sensible thing to do is get the plaster ripped off and start again and get someone in who can plaster properly.

That seems like a plausible explanation. I uploaded a photo of the left side of the pillar, it's odd it hasn't happened on the right side as well?

Do you think a water tight PVA bond over the bead will be enough to fix this problem?

Or does the wood behind the plasterboard need to come out all together?

Thanks for your responses.
The right side isn't plastered directly onto wood it's on to plasterboard so it wouldn't crack. The wood needs to come out tbh. Although the cracked bead is just one of many problems. As mentioned above the walls all blistered because he's skimmed it too soon or chucked way to much PVA on it. It's not going to paint up well. Take the advice of other and get the whole lot redone