plaster boards

Members online

Status
Not open for further replies.

islandview

Alright fellas.

Ive just been reading an old topic on here and it was talking about p/boards. Im interested to know what boards other plasterers use. I have always used tapered edge boards as thats what I was taught. Ive never had any problems with them but if there is any reason not to use them or if square edge boards are just better for skimming then it would be handy to know.

Cheers

ive heard tapered edge have gotten cheaper than square edge, so theres one reason to use em...
but if im honest, thats the only one cos if youre skimming the wall why would you need a little v shaped channel up each joint?
not that it matters too much though...i suppose if your dabbin em and you get a gap maybe a v-groove helps?

ive heard tapered edge have gotten cheaper than square edge, so theres one reason to use em...
but if im honest, thats the only one cos if youre skimming the wall why would you need a little v shaped channel up each joint?
not that it matters too much though...i suppose if your dabbin em and you get a gap maybe a v-groove helps?

i was told tapered r jus if u gonna decorate on them straight away cause u can make the join really smooth for painting or whatever, if u plastering its always sq edge

The only thing i'd say about TE board is i like to use machined edge on ex corners walls beams etc but you can't with TE board as the beads end up behind the wall line.

simply tapered boards are for tape & joining square edge for skimming two diffirent trades, the trouble with skimming tapered boards is that there is the risk that the skim will shrink into the tapered edges making the job look crap, so if your skimming square edge boards every time, nothing pisses me of more than turning up to a job and the boards are t/e

simply tapered boards are for tape & joining square edge for skimming two diffirent trades, the trouble with skimming tapered boards is that there is the risk that the skim will shrink into the tapered edges making the job look crap, so if your skimming square edge boards every time, nothing pisses me of more than turning up to a job and the boards are t/e

When I started out I would always trowel up too early and instead of smoothing lines etc you just end up taking all the gear back off the wall leaving it too tight. I always had the problem of a slight ridge where scrim was situated, or even worse the tape showing through. Back then I preferred tapered boards as it made my life alot easier.

Nowadays I can pretty much skim over anything and don't really care whether the boards are tapered or square edge to be honest. Let's face it, if someone else has done the boarding you're up against it anyway. I've done jobs where Joe Bloggs (do you know him?  :mad:) has used 9.5mm boards butted upto 12.5mm boards on studwork! Once you've taped up and put a thickish first coat on, it's all good  :)

Status
Not open for further replies.