plain faced render under a bell cast bead

Members online

Status
Not open for further replies.
It does matter if it aint brick as most of the new extensions we are rendering below dpc is block and dont look too pretty just left plus last job i did the dpc level was about 5courses above ground level.

the thing is your suppose to leave a 6inch clearance from the ground to the damp course lets just say youve put the bell bead a little bit to high above damp then you render underneath you will be bridging the damp if not carefull

It does matter if it aint brick as most of the new extensions we are rendering below dpc is block and dont look too pretty just left plus last job i did the dpc level was about 5courses above ground level.

maybe u misread my post

I was saying it didnt matter as a response to people saying it should not be done. of course if below dpc is block or looks shite it should be rendered or something. but as long as the damp area stays in the damp area and does not bridge into the dry area, having render on there will not matter

bullybod

and you stay out of it rich you pompey bumpkin

lol I was chatting to my mate about this today and he recons your right about not rendering below dpc and it should be face brick but the last job i was looking at, below dpc was thermalites and the builder told me it was what he was speced didnt seem right to me as above dpc was concrete blocks...... I do recall a long time ago i was working for a damp company and some thing was said about leaving an 1" gap below the bellcast.

celcon do footing blocks........looked into their thin joint system with one skin covered with ewi.......quite tasty really with an excellent uvalue

celcon do footing blocks........looked into their thin joint system with one skin covered with ewi.......quite tasty really with an excellent uvalue

I got that system avilable too goody, its a thin joint single skin thinjoint thermal block wall system with the EWI / EIFS system that i get here. shipped in from germany. great system and like you say for uvalues - u value is superb

dont recall the blocks below the slab level tho

Last edited:
shame this system aint a bit more widespread as the thin mortar joints are minimal cold bridges and it's quick to erect. we come along then and either insulate on the inside or preferably the outside and voila. On the celcon site they got a video comparing thin joint single skin compared to traditional and it rivals timber frame for speed if solid walls are your preference

lets face it timber frame is popular right now, speed and due to the price of steel (thanks china) in a recession it seems to be everywhere does timber frame at the mo. but it costs more on the external finish side because you have to get over the timber element as you know if rendered it means hi spec sheething systems sometimes cavity rail systems.
With block what you see is what you get - straight on with adhesive/pins or mono straight on or whatever

I've allways thought it a bit odd that rendering below the bead, its just begging for riseing damp.

And like flynny said, what's the flashband?

Status
Not open for further replies.