plain faced render under a bell cast bead

Status
Not open for further replies.

owls

Private Member
all right lads could do with a bit of advice with a puzzling problem never asked for any advice on here,but here goes

we did some dashing a wihle ago september time, i got a call the other day saying the flashband around the perimeter under the bellcast bead had flaked off in places.
went today to have a butchers,the dashing was bob on. but it had flaked off in places under the bellcast but looked fine in other places,i plain faced rendered under the bead around the perimeter as it was due to be painted.

wasnt me that did it at the time it was one of my lads but,
question is how should have tackled it.

originally it was knocked back to red brick,a mix of sbr and cement painted on, and whilst tacky applied a 4.1 sand cement with sbr added to the mix left to cure for a couple of days.then a 5.1.1 sand cement lime and rubbed up as normal
bridging the dpc isnt the concern,its just the bit under the bead that looks like its getting water striking up from the ground and the harsh frost has finished it off in places.as its below the dpc i thought it would need modifying hence the sbr, and there shouldnt have been any lime added i know.
just wondered how lads normally tackle rendering up these areas under bellcast.
cheers.

never render below them pal. not with sand and cem anyway so cant really help u.
winter has been really bad tho and if it had damp in it that frost wouldv killed it off easy

So you have rendered below the bead why .Is it down to surface leval .I do not render below beads mate.

it can be done if you put a stop under the drip but leave a gap and use marmorit sockel dicht plinth render

the problem owls is having is the water returning under the drip because he may have brought the render under neath out to far

i have never ever rendered under a bell bead as the reason they are there is to throw the water from the brickwork below... whats happening here is the water is running down the face of the dashing and creeping along the render below the bead its probably settling there and damaging the render below... i would hack it all off and leave the bead to do its job

Well - I HAVE rendered the plinth on about 70 - 80% of all my dashing/rendering jobs:-0
Never had any comebacks either, just put the drip in the right place and keep it clean so the run-off doesn't flow directly onto the plinth. Sounds to me like frost damage........what tends to happen - and I'm not saying it's definitely the case here - folks put a tiny amount of waterproofer into the mix so that it takes up rapidly, but letting more water into the plinth coat.

Last edited:
If you render below your dpc I would think the water ,moisture would just act like a wick in a lamp. Grand I did check knaufs site on this and there is a render for this kind of work I think this is what you was refering to.

cant see why you would go the hassle of fannying on under a drip bead thats never ever going to be seen except by rats or worms looking up

its just frost damage mate. anything under dpc will always contain damp its in the bricks and will be in the render too its just frozed in the bad winter. rip nit of and use sockel like Grand says or just bitch it out

yep i render occasionally on older properties under beads aswell bubbles, for decrotive purposes.the last one i did was on a job with warrior up north and thats been fine since looks well.maybe i was lucky who knows.

with this job what it was is originally it was all rendered over to the deck,done about 40 years ago.the house is a 50s red brick house.

obiously when we removed the old render,it pulled the face of the old brick off,and in other places it had already taken the surface off.ths wasnt a problem above the dpc as this was rendered over,but below it stands out like a sore dick and it aint going to cover with paint.the problem is is that its not just a standard 2 brick course as the rule of the land slopes in the garden so at the bottom 4 brick height is shown.
the house next door had a re-render about 2 year since and rendered up to the bead under and it does look good,so theyve said to match that.

i thought there was a product about, do you have a link or owt for it grand

cant see why you would go the hassle of fannying on under a drip bead thats never ever going to be seen except by rats or worms looking up

Yeah.........It's a b*stard on me knees Render mate, but as most of my work is refurbs, they need the plinth re-rendered - and generally round these parts the dpc tends to be about a foot above the ground so it can't be left bare (Maybe you've got bigger rats in Newky-Broon land:RpS_laugh:)

whats a correct way of tackling one in sand/cement bobby to avoid damp issues if the brick is particularly damp .

every plinth in Plymouth is done is sand/cement ... always has been and always will !

I noticed everything in torquay was rendered straight to the floor rich, some of it was shot to **** and alot of it was fine

most of the stuff i see rendered up ere to floor in S&C tho dont last 5 years I hardly render below dpc, never really get asked and never really needed to, also recently we av been looking at some long term warranties like 25-30 years so there is no way we could do it with that length of warranty unles it was the afore mentioned specied product such as sockel.

only time i recall was a marmo job on council refurb where the plinths were specied for sockel

rendered loads of plinths maybe it fell of because its a wall and plinths are walls too and sometimes walls fall off and render systems what are you saying you render a plinth it doesnt drip any more? please explain me thinks one is talking shite

Plints always done in sand and cement,maybe one of the lads put skimcoat through it on a cold wet day so they could get the fcuk outta there,youve gotta watch the lads.

tell us about it.
whats best way of tackling it then again mix ratio etc?
dont want to make same mstake again

if your gonna render under the bell you might aswell not put one on the whole idea of it is to divert the water awy before it hits the damp course

yep i appreciate that its just for decrotive puposes tho, and its set well back from the drip so rain water misses it anyhow.

its hardly got much to do with falling rain water at that level a drip bead has a 45 instead of a 90 degree profile to stop water tracking back and it will work for rain. the main prob at this level is damp from the ground absorbing up

its hardly got much to do with falling rain water at that level a drip bead has a 45 instead of a 90 degree profile to stop water tracking back and it will work for rain. the main prob at this level is damp from the ground absorbing up
exactly thats why it shouldnt be done

Rendered loads of em usually the thing to do is black jack it after its been rendered i always make a point to tell the customer to do it when its dried out

i made a point of checking today. every rendered house down here has a rendered plinth with no problems so i think its all a load of scare mongering and b*ll***s

it cant see it matter if its rendered or not. there will always be some damp in the brick down there and in any render thats over it too as long as it stays below dpc so i imagine they install a break in the two renders so no bridge.
there is always the chance for blowing in freezing temps thats just that

Status
Not open for further replies.