patch repairs

Members online

Status
Not open for further replies.
M

mrspoon

i know ive asked this a long time ago but ive just not had the opportunity to give it a go and i cant fully remember the responses i got, but id like to know what materials people use for repairing patches/chases

i was thinking the bonding + multi route, which ive tried befor and didnt goo too well, still showed up once painted! then theres the easi-fill option but think that may seem a bit unproffesional?

reason i ask is cos its for a lady.. whos husband is a builder and he cant be doing with filling in silly little patches in their new kithcen, but... this could lead to more work if i do a good job as i know he wants more help, but is reluctant due to being let down in the past, so i kind of need to excel a bit here and go that extra mile, dont want to fill some holes have him paint em and moan cos they're still visable :-\

any advice greatly appreciated, materials, technique, background music and what you had for breakfast if you really think thats essential, colour of socks optional :D

i usually use bonding/multi, if its an older property it will show and its virtually impossible to match exsisting. as long as my bit looks spot on i'm happy, if the customer don't like it offer to rescim the whole wall!

id be much happier to skim the walls, tho they've just had their new kitchen units fitted :-\ am i right in thinking bond out the patch, cut back jsut below the surface and skim over, brush in to the edges and trowl over, then apply a tight second skim and brush in the same and trowel up?

you got it, i always make sure the exsisting wall is spotless once i'm finished as well, nothing looks worse than cr*p all round the repair (imo)

always a joy when you get called in to skim a kitchen after its fitted eh?

ive certainly had my fair share of jobs which involved newly fitted kitchens, if i wasn't desperate for the work id kindly put them off and give them the impression i was fully booked. but needs must, i guess i know what to do jsut getting the mix right and not playin with it too early, easifill 45 is calling me i must admit

for small patches you can always do a dirty mix, or take some paperwork to do in van between coats, stops you playing with it...

first and only repair job i did was when i first started college 2 years ago , im sure i can manage to hold back till the time is right now, still daunting tho. still my quest to find skilled tradesmen to work alongside continues, seems the locals dont want to know, think the recession plays a big part and they dont want anyone else moving in and taking their custom.

anyone else feel free to share your methods for repairing patches 8)

will pop round and see exactly how much of a mess these walls are actually in, must be pretty crap for the bloke not to sort them out himself. i'll report back with either a horror story or good news ;)

It will always show no mater how long u spend on it trying to polish and brush it flat,this method is ok for people on a budget and private landords etc.....but if u had extension or new kitchen best to rescim all walls for best finnish.
Explain both ways and the costs of each method tell them in ur opinion its cheaper to do it right first time by re scimming the lot 9/10 they will go with ur advice.

ive been into college today skimmed a previously rendered wall and blown some holes/chases in it, had a moan at my lecturer and hes convinced they will be repaired properly tomorow and painted over without any visable signs, ive bonded them out and cut back etc, soon find out tomorow but i have no faith in it atall! much prefer to skim the whole lot!

was on a job other week and a sparky was filling his own patchwork mess with some wickes ready mixed stuff,it was grey in colour and in a orange and white bucket,he said it was about £8 a tub and great for filling chasing work.
I gotta admit it really did look good and dries quick also,he swore by it!!!
Once i know what i called i post it on here...

well i gave it a bash today, filled with multi, jobs a goodun. 8)

Alright spoon...

I find hardwall and multi mixed better...ratio 40 hardwall 60 multi...you can finish it quite nicely...better than with bonding. If its a deep chase i'll dub it out first, other wise it sags. Make your mix quite thick. ;D

thanks for that, will give the hardwall + multi a go next week at college.
i did some chases last year and mad ethe mistake of using a pi$$y mix, needless to say i made a mess! ;D

skimmin2day said:
was on a job other week and a sparky was filling his own patchwork mess with some wickes ready mixed stuff,it was grey in colour and in a orange and white bucket,he said it was about £8 a tub and great for filling chasing work.
I gotta admit it really did look good and dries quick also,he swore by it!!!
Once i know what i called i post it on here...

might have to give it a try 8)

if i have to do chases i usually fill with bonding then do the whole wall because its really hard to make it completly invisable.

cos it gives a better finish or cos its quicker with one coat ???

Hate patching its rubbish! As before skim everything if possible its far better. I'd rather walk away from jobs like that and stick to the good stuff!

Status
Not open for further replies.