Patch repair water damage

Members online

No members online now.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mo7

Hi

Family member has asked me to repair this water damaged bit of plasterboard which is under a flat roof.

The aim is to plasterboard it, fill in the gaps and paint it white - I won't be attempt to match the artex.

Photos here

http://1drv.ms/1HJRDLh

My thinking is

1 - cut away old plasterboard so I get to a joist to screw in to - although some of the plasterboard has gone yellow not all of it is ruinied and can be painted - for example I may not need to cut off all the way to the right hand side edge - I figure the less I take out the better.

2 - buy some plasterboard - not sure what size it is. Unfortnatly it is quite crumbly so not that easy to tell at the moment

3 - buy 38mm plasterboard screws and a board and screw it in.

4 - I intend to 'tape and fill' the joists and fill the screw heads. Is this the best idea?

One downside with tape and fill is that I will have to tape over the existing artex - will this look weird and if so am I better not taping it and just chucking filler in the gap.

On the same note should I leave a gap at the edge for the filler to go in or try and get the board flush (but it iwll never be perfect).

I intend to use 38mm screws - is this the correct length? I note you can also get 32mm.

Finally, as I will not need much 'filler' at all what is the cheapest stuff to use - the ready made DIY palsterboard compound stuff seems to be £15 plus for a pot - can I get away with a small tub of polyfiller type stuff?

How hard would it be to match the artex - or just put some wavy lines on it to blend it in somewhat?

Fix the roof first.secondly take every bit of plasterboard that's on that ceiling off along with nails.Thirdly insulate and get a local experienced plasterer to board and skim it for you and pay him properly.No offence but what your suggesting is pure nonsense.

Steady on, what you are suggesting could cost hundreds. what i am suggesting should cost say £50

the roof has already been repaired at a cost of £500.

whilst it would be nice to have a new ceiling it is out of the question in this scenario.

how do plasterers patch repairs?

No plasterer would do what you want to do.

You are going to leave a couple of square metres of 'smooth' ceiling in the middle of a textured ceiling?
What an abortion that would be!
Why fix it at all?
If a jobs worth doing.........

Steady on, what you are suggesting could cost hundreds. what i am suggesting should cost say £50

the roof has already been repaired at a cost of £500.

whilst it would be nice to have a new ceiling it is out of the question in this scenario.

how do plasterers patch repairs?

I would be either ripping that whole ceiling down as water damage is not good for Pboard or at the very least chopping out a large portion... I would then bond out the patch and skim the whole lot it... you are not going to match that arttex in and the more you try the worst it is going to look...

A good plasterer will do that in a day... it may cost you more than £50 but it will look a lot better and I reckon you would waste 3 of your days trying to get it right and it never will.

If you cant afford it then maybe it is covered on some insurance...

No plasterer would do what you want to do.

You are going to leave a couple of square metres of 'smooth' ceiling in the middle of a textured ceiling?
What an abortion that would be!
Why fix it at all?
If a jobs worth doing.........

Essentially I suppose if a job is done as DIY people are willing to put up with a lot lower standards - the immediate aim is is just to remove the hole and fill it in - aesthetics are not the MAIN aim.

I agree that I would not be able to match a plasterers finish but that is not what I am aiming for.

Apparently flat roofs are not covered on insurance.

Fair enough, most here would see it as wasting £50 that would go toward getting a decent job done

yellow board means water damaged board. I wouldn't paint over as will prob come back through or plasterboard has weaken and will fall anyway at some point or drop and give you a nice bowed ceiling! I would Remove everything that looks water damaged!

Status
Not open for further replies.