Part time Apprentice

Members online

Vincey

Private Member
Thought this worth a mention , over the last 4/5 weeks I’ve had a young man coming on jobs with me , he’s very keen to learn trade , some weeks it’s a day some 2 , it’s kind of worked well so far for both of us , he has part time job so he has his regular wages from that and there isn’t to much pressure my side in terms of what jobs I have coming in to commit full time with him, I’m presuming a lot of would be plasterers find it hard to hook up with a small company or sole trader to get experience etc so maybe part time is a good option if its for you, only bad thing mind is there is no college side to this scenario and I’d admit too that is an important part tbf , good luck anyway to anyone trying to break into the trade , hope this might help

We've had the same situation, it's nice not having the commitment on our side for the often eventuality that they end up f**k**g off

@Vincey I would say that the college is not a bad thing... I read a report that very few plasterers who went to college actually made a career from plastering and that the CITB woukd be better off paying the likes of you to teach them... would be cheaper for them, you and better for the student...

I will find the link when I get a chance

@Vincey I would say that the college is not a bad thing... I read a report that very few plasterers who went to college actually made a career from plastering and that the CITB woukd be better off paying the likes of you to teach them... would be cheaper for them, you and better for the student...

I will find the link when I get a chance
been saying this for years

yup costs £20k a year (I think) to put a student through.... they could pay vincey £10K a year to teach the same and vincey wont have to worry about covering the apprentice money and could really jump start a new plasterers career...
That would be brilliant

I went through citb my employer got grants and funding for me and cheap labour so it was well worth it for him.

The problem is you get some guys that will just use them as cheap labour when banking the money
In theory it’s a great idea but let’s face it the building trade is full of people trying to make a fast few quid and I could see it being abused

How much did he get and how much did he pay you
I don't know what his funding was but my starting wage was £3.60 (September 2001)an hour :LOL: but it was cheap labour for him and once I started skimming he obviously earned money on me and the metres I was doing, mainly a cheap labourer for the rendering jobs took me a bit longer to even get a chance on the trowel for floating and rendering

I got a college wanting me to take on an apprentice but then they started harping on about my holiday and sick pay policy.

Sorry young uns.
I can't afford to pay em when they want to pull a sickie!

It's only fair an employer making a few quid off an apprentice,there giving them a trade and even though it's not the easiest it's a way to make a living.

The problem is you get some guys that will just use them as cheap labour when banking the money
In theory it’s a great idea but let’s face it the building trade is full of people trying to make a fast few quid and I could see it being abused

yup thats the problem... but then maybe the citb could pay it to the apprentice... directly

Thought this worth a mention , over the last 4/5 weeks I’ve had a young man coming on jobs with me , he’s very keen to learn trade , some weeks it’s a day some 2 , it’s kind of worked well so far for both of us , he has part time job so he has his regular wages from that and there isn’t to much pressure my side in terms of what jobs I have coming in to commit full time with him, I’m presuming a lot of would be plasterers find it hard to hook up with a small company or sole trader to get experience etc so maybe part time is a good option if its for you, only bad thing mind is there is no college side to this scenario and I’d admit too that is an important part tbf , good luck anyway to anyone trying to break into the trade

, hope this might help

He's not an apprentice

I worked for free a lot of the time just to learn :D
Difference there @Danny is that you wanted to learn.......lots of young uns now seem to think they go from zero to big dosh in a morning....they can’t seem to grasp that they are like an empty book, and we are like encyclopaedia....but it took me ages to accumulate the very little I know......these lads now haven’t got the time...(with very few exceptions).

Difference there @Danny is that you wanted to learn.......lots of young uns now seem to think they go from zero to big dosh in a morning....they can’t seem to grasp that they are like an empty book, and we are like encyclopaedia....but it took me ages to accumulate the very little I know......these lads now haven’t got the time...(with very few exceptions).

very true that.... think modern day social media has not helped people aspire to be anything other than "instafamous" or a youtuber....