painting as a sideline

Members online

Status
Not open for further replies.

windy

Private Member
Hi all

Do you domestic lads offer a painting service and what do you feel the takeup rate is? I know most people will paint themselves after the plasterer has been in, im thinking of the elderly, disabled or the cant be arsed crowd.

If you do paint do you look for what you would earn in a days plastering or do you offer a lower dayrate and have a nice easy days painting (compared to plastering that is:RpS_thumbsup:)

Always go for the decorating used to hate it as my old man was a painter and decorator and he used to take me with him weekends when i was a kid doing all the prep now i love it as it is so less labour intensive than plastering and gives me a chance to cover up my s**t finishing.

I don't know about you mate, but my mortgage or van payments don't go down on the days i'm decorating, so I charge the same.

nice point tony m

Just thought people would view the painting side as less skilled hence they would expect a lower day rate.

I do alot of plastering for a decorator and he charges about the same (depending on how much woodwork) to paint a room as I do to skim. I pass all my decorating on to my decorator, hes good at filling ;)

yes beddy it would. Does it say in the ten commandments "tho must plaster full time"

Just adding income streams to the job

The problem is that you can be the best spread going, but if the painter is s**t then your work looks crap, and my painting is worse than s**t!!! so i stay away from it !!!
Like FreeD said a good painter charges about the same as most spreads, i only have one painter who i use/pass number out as i only pass on good trades, and it works well we use him he uses us.

I was thinking of doing this for a while before I packed in and am considering it again. On several occasions I've had painters say how much they like following on my plastering as they earn better with less prep. to do, so why not take advantage and take on the decorating and either do it myself or better still just get a decent painter in. I've been told that they get as much to paint a house as we get to F&S and screed the bloody things.

I was thinking of doing this for a while before I packed in and am considering it again. On several occasions I've had painters say how much they like following on my plastering as they earn better with less prep. to do, so why not take advantage and take on the decorating and either do it myself or better still just get a decent painter in. I've been told that they get as much to paint a house as we get to F&S and screed the bloody things.

Serious?

always thought there prices where real tight...Do they get paid per m2?

Painters always seem to be piss heads....

Serious?

always thought there prices where real tight...Do they get paid per m2?

Painters always seem to be piss heads....

I'm not sure how the subbies usually get paid but on the site where I spoke to the guy with the decorating contract he gave his subbies a price per house type just the same as I did with my blokes. He also said his prices were about the same as the plastering on most of the jobs he went on. Must be a good screw as I know his lads weren't on as much as mine and his materials must have been a lot less as well.

My decorator makes minimum 10% on all my work...before I finish I get the labourer to clean down all the woodwork, clean windows, pass it to him spotless etc keeps him happy...hes passed me about 15000 worth work this year alone. Good contacts to have, but your work has to be spot on.

I'm not sure how the subbies usually get paid but on the site where I spoke to the guy with the decorating contract he gave his subbies a price per house type just the same as I did with my blokes. He also said his prices were about the same as the plastering on most of the jobs he went on. Must be a good screw as I know his lads weren't on as much as mine and his materials must have been a lot less as well.

So much better getting a price per unit i reckon, instead of measuring up every week, and you never get the measure you put in...Easier just to book in 2 or 3 plots or whatever every fortnight?

Did you only let your blokes book in complete units?...

So much better getting a price per unit i reckon, instead of measuring up every week, and you never get the measure you put in...Easier just to book in 2 or 3 plots or whatever every fortnight?

Did you only let your blokes book in complete units?...

Yeah only complete units that way you don't get lads trying to do the cream of a house and leaving all the fiddly bits for someone else.

I hope you don't do painting as a sideline spunky??? Its a four year apprenticeship, and you are only aloud to stir the paint for the first 8 months.

Thanks for reminding me. I must start advertising for painting again. Everybody needs a backup!!

I was a decorator before I diversified into drylining, but only a couple of my customers know that.

it allways cracks me up when people say if you can piss you can paint a good painters finish is always noticeable

yeah to be fair, anyone can lash paint on, but decent decorators, and thats decorators, not painters which are the equivelent of skimmers, are quite hard to come by

My folks used to use a decorator a few years ago and he was quality. Left the game for a bit due to his health but Turns out he works for the firm I subby to now so he's started doing our decs again. Really is a top notch decorator and he makes hanging paper seem effortless. Did 1 wall in my living room and he wanted 25quid ffs. I wouldn't even attempt it myself at that price. Drinks a lot of 'kin tea though!

carpet fitting?
what a random thing to do.

Not really owls, he soon got the hang of once he'd had to replace half a dozen where he'd not sheeted up properly and dropped more on then floor than he got on the ceiling. Damn those people at GT for not teaching him how to sheet up.

carpet fitting?
what a random thing to do.

Yeah, its an odd one but like Andy says, its useful!:RpS_thumbsup: Anyway, it would be nice to see a job through from start to see the finished result. I was a carpet fitters apprentice for a few years working for a local familly firm.

Nowt wrong with diversifying Kingy. I got a taxi last weekend in Glencoe. The driver was a postman and a panelbeater. Rowntrees randoms lol

Yeah, its an odd one but like Andy says, its useful!:RpS_thumbsup: Anyway, it would be nice to see a job through from start to see the finished result. I was a carpet fitters apprentice for a few years working for a local familly firm.
who does your architraves?

Status
Not open for further replies.