Paint removal

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arti

Is a scabbler the most effective way to remove paint from brickwork prior to rendering without damaging the brick faces?

Thanks in advance for all constructive replies........................:RpS_thumbsup:

What aboot hiring a power prep? Might leave minimal damage?Never used one myself tho:RpS_blushing:
:RpS_unsure: or grinder with cupstone.
Why you concerned about damage if your rendering it arti?

Av never used a scabbler and i just wondered what sort of damage, if any, they left after you've ground the paint off

The only scabbler ive used were ran off compressor, feckin noisy !takin paint off a wall ive just used a grinder n various discs,without causing too much damage to the brick that render wont sort:RpS_thumbup:

hire a power prep an tell us all about it:RpS_thumbsup:

Scabblers are a right pain in the butt to use, first you need a good compressor knocking out a consistent 6ish bar, noise as fluke and your hand will take a couple of days to free up if your using it on a big area. I made the mistake of using one once to clean up sandstone mullions and lintels on an old farm house, never again. Shot or sand blasting is the way ahead if it is a big area that is not to be rendered :RpS_thumbup:

Is a scabbler the most effective way to remove paint from brickwork prior to rendering without damaging the brick faces?

Thanks in advance for all constructive replies........................:RpS_thumbsup:
I've done a few jobs for a local shot blasting company and I'm on good terms with the owner. He can remove the paint off smooth brick no problem by sand blasting. He can do wet or dry blasting using various grit sizes depending on substrate. You have to work out cost of removing manually against blasting, a three lift gable about 60 odd metres could cost about £300 to blast.
Chemical removal is another option, rolls of chemical 'peel-away' are stuck to surface and left for a week.:RpS_thumbup: All depends how many layers of paint and the substrate, scabbler and a labourer is probably the cheapest option if only a few layers.

What colour pants are you wearing today?

Thats cheap oli , i have been thinking of buying a sand blast set up ,any idea on cost anyone ...Pants black Oli ...always black :RpS_blushing::RpS_confused:

Thats cheap oli , i have been thinking of buying a sand blast set up ,any idea on cost anyone ...Pants black Oli ...always black :RpS_blushing::RpS_confused:
Anywhere from £60 right up to £2000. I can ask my mate for advice if your keen.
Thanks for the pants update :RpS_thumbsup: have you had them on all day?

get it sand blasted, the customer will be paying for it in your price, so make it easy for yourself

I've used scabblers a lot and they're good. You can adjust the depth on them but it will take a little of the face away. If you've got huge areas it's a big job though as they're only about 6 inches wide.

I would think even sand blasting will take the face off then you are left with clay brick to suck in any moisture. For re-render I can get a ten a penny with an angle grinder and offer him a fiver a day more for incentive. But if you want to get the brick back to original with no damage then an acid which works like Nitromors. It takes one coat off at a time mind but does work a treat. Get one of those acid fume masks as some have ammonia in. wear ppe as well as it can burn. Done a few for follow on re-point and looks good.

If the paint is welded on textured face brick consider Parex Parinter basecoat. I know it goes against many folks views,but its amazing tackle.

@Artisan998

You need to use media blasting mate, its the same as sand blasting but uses bicarb soda, its know as non abrasive media blasting, it will take the paint off but not damage the bricks, and its biodegradable so will just wash down the drains etc.

I looked into this a while ago as a little side line business cleaning bricks oak beams etc.

The actual blasters are £189.00 then a compressor why don't you bill the customer for what it would cost to have a firm in, but spend the money on getting the set up yourself, worth looking into bud.

Last edited by a moderator:
If you use parinter over paint you dont really want to put to much more weight on top.a bucket coat finish at the most for the weight of it.

Status
Not open for further replies.