paint blistering on new plaster

Status
Not open for further replies.

mickey07

hi chaps just a quick one,had a call last night off this customer of mine where he said on this one wall in the box room that when he added the emulsion undercoat to the new plaster it started to blister and bubble up???thats a new one on me as i aint had it before on any jobs....any ideas chaps???dont think there is any damp either anywhere he said....

I don't know the answer to your question but I do have one for you.
You've been and plastered a room, he's happy with the finish you've left so what the **** is he doing phoning you about the decorating? Almost every time people have a problem they look to imply blame elsewhere, if he's got a problem with the painting he should either phone a decorator or if in Cheltenham phone Oasis.

to be honest essex thats what ive been thinking,but just thought i should help him out a bit,i just wanted to rule out a bag of bad plaster(but it went on sound enough and troweled up like normal)plus it was a month ago since i finished the job as well....

He has probably used a vinyl based emulsion, which you should not do on new plaster. New plaster should be painted initially with a non vinyl contract type of emulsion which allows any excess moisture to escape through it. The walls may look ok to paint, but it's surprising how long they take to fully dry out. As Robin Williams said to Matt Damon in Good Will Hunting, "It's not your fault, it's not your fault."

Last edited:
that normally happens when the moisture is sucked out of the paint to fast and the paint does not go into the plaster but just sits on top...

Thats why a miss/mist coat should be applied

(what the hell do I know I was told that by a painter) :)

tell them to tell the painter to put water in the first coat. its meant to sink in likeva sponge not bsit on top. this causes vblistering

I don't know the answer to your question but I do have one for you.
You've been and plastered a room, he's happy with the finish you've left so what the **** is he doing phoning you about the decorating? Almost every time people have a problem they look to imply blame elsewhere, if he's got a problem with the painting he should either phone a decorator or if in Cheltenham phone Oasis.

Think you're being a bit harsh there Andy. People ask me all the time how they should paint it, and seeing as it's the 'product' I have left them with I do feel an obligation to advise them........mist coat :RpS_thumbup:

He has probably used a vinyl based emulsion, which you should not do on new plaster. New plaster should be painted initially with a non vinyl contract type of emulsion which allows any excess moisture to escape through it. The walls may look ok to paint, but it's surprising how long they take to fully dry out.

He has probably used a vinyl based emulsion, which you should not do on new plaster. New plaster should be painted initially with a non vinyl contract type of emulsion which allows any excess moisture to escape through it. The walls may look ok to paint, but it's surprising how long they take to fully dry out.

Have I got an echo?

if i remember correctly tony, you pm'd me asking what it could be so you've obviously just copied and pasted it before i got time to post it

if i remember correctly tony, you pm'd me asking what it could be so you've obviously just copied and pasted it before i got time to post it

Sorry, I forgot I did that. I promise not to plagiarise your posts again.

so hes proberly using a vinyl product, when he should be using a matt emlusion watered down 50/50???feckin hope so anyway as i aint come across this before....

so hes proberly using a vinyl product, when he should be using a matt emlusion watered down 50/50???feckin hope so anyway as i aint come across this before....

If you watered it down 50/50, it would be all over your shoes. 20% is more than enough water.

If you watered it down 50/50, it would be all over your shoes. 20% is more than enough water.

Had exactly the same thing the other week. Oh, yiour plastering is blistering and i want you out first thing in the morning. So, i went....IT WAS THE FOCKING PAINT!!!! I told her she hadn't left the wall to dry out properly. Then she had the audacity to say that the plaster was coming off on the paint roller!!!! I laughed at her and left. The plasterers always right :RpS_laugh:

you'd think the Vinyl Paint manufacturers would have something written on their tins by now warning about this, this problem is always poppin up

update on the paint/plaster blistering....went back there this morning 3 blisters about an 1" inch in size,back of the van pollyfilla out,filled holes,(told him to rub them in when dry) job done.....now even if i wasn't in this game,i would know to put a little bit of filla in there,infact even a 8 year old would know how to do that....this guy is 35 year old university teacher ffs...god some people....mind you his mrs is fit as feck as well...

When he paints it, it will blister where the paint meets the filler, and he will be back on the phone. These highly educated people are ******* hopeless when it comes to common sense, or anything practical.

don't use vinyl on new plaster?

Well, TonyM, excellent point perhaps. But if there are things you should and should not do when painting new plaster, as a professional I am sure you will let your customers, who are about to paint their walls, know. Most people these days buy "vinyl matt", hmm a clue in the name, it would be a good idea if someone told them not to use it.

Incidentally, as a customer who has had this problem, it looked like just in one select place, I think the plasterer has used an additive that is not compatible but everywhere else is fine.

Having got this problem, is there a professional can suggest a fix for it? Thanks.

Hi badplaster, welcome to the forum. Why cant you use vinyl matt on new plaster??...........are you a tradesman or a customer??

There's vinyl matt, there's vinyl silk etc etc, the one you want is matt without vinyl, contractors paint, you can even give it it's miss/mist coat before its fully dry because it has no vinyl in it so there for it doesn't seal it, it lets it breath

update on the paint/plaster blistering....went back there this morning 3 blisters about an 1" inch in size,back of the van pollyfilla out,filled holes,(told him to rub them in when dry) job done.....now even if i wasn't in this game,i would know to put a little bit of filla in there,infact even a 8 year old would know how to do that....this guy is 35 year old university teacher ffs...god some people....mind you his mrs is fit as feck as well...
Did you hang out the back of her?

Status
Not open for further replies.