over boarding

Status
Not open for further replies.
depends how old the house is... with older houses the joists could be twister and warped and slightly off etc, but then again so could the new ones (especially if in bulgaria)! but since your overboarding anwyay jsut blow some holes in it with a hamer and find one them measure 400mm and there should be another one, mark those out and then do the sae for the other ende. then ping a chalk line fron one end to the other to markl out the middle of the joists, quick smack in the middle of the line to make sure the timber doesnt warp too much and you should be good to go 8) last one i did was way out, more like twiglets than joists!

best way by miles is to buy some timber from b and q 50 x 25mm .... screw these into your joists then you've got a frame to work to...... sure it costs for the wood about £1.50 for 2.4m..... but the benefits are endless.... stremgthens the ceiling by sandwiching the old board.... giving your new ceiling more strength and you've got a visual guide instead of guessing where the joists are...... trust me buddy by far best way..... ;D

you could use resilient bar in the same way cross batten the joists and board away

Why why why , been overboarding ceilings for nearly thirty years and never cross batted yet, ok if your gonna underdraw the ceiling (lower it) but why complicate things and add more expense to an already competetive market , just knock some small holes in the ceiling find the joists and over board the f****ker
time is money, c'mon

If you really want to string the job out, pre-drill all the holes with a brace and bit, use flat head screws and a yankee screwdriver.

warrior is right guys...
Just over board why bother mending summot that aint broken.
Be sure to 50mm screws though !!

im sure there was a fixing around that you could use to directly screw into the p/board not the joists .....i didnt dream this one honest!.......anyone heard of it?

spunkybum said:
im sure there was a fixing around that you could use to directly screw into the p/board not the joists .....i didnt dream this one honest!.......anyone heard of it?

Yeah I know the stuff, its called gripfill

Rich

Toggle fixings. Imagine that! Read a similar thread on another forum once, and someone suggested dot and dab.

warriorupnorth said:
Why why why , been overboarding ceilings for nearly thirty years and never cross batted yet, ok if your gonna underdraw the ceiling (lower it) but why complicate things and add more expense to an already competetive market , just knock some small holes in the ceiling find the joists and over board the f****ker
time is money, c'mon

;D ;D ;D

Ok in answer to your question i'd like to way up the pro's Vs the Con's.

downside: :(
34.5mm of ceiling height gone forever (omg!) :-[
lose out on £10 (MAX) of profit having to pay £1.64 per 2.4 meters.. (omg!) :-[

Plus side: ;D
1) stronger ........this is because as with a lot of older ceilings they may sag in area's also they will have used cloat nails instead of screws which will in time work loose. this is the foundation of our new ceiling were talking about by the way! just before we double the weight of it!!!!.... by battening up your sandwiching the old ceiling between the new batterns and the joists with screws... thus its solid and will forever be solid.

2) save time..... thats right save time.... instead of messing around stabbing ceiling to find joists not knowing if your in the joists properly or half in or half out!

3)easier to board....... this is because you can see where your boards and cuts are ending in the same way as doing a stud wall....

4) no movement ..... with older ceilings some of the cloat nails may have already come loose and therefore risk cracks in your newly plastered ceiling over time.....

5) better alround job with a better longer lasting finish.......

so looks like i'l complicate things and continue to battern then .... the choice is yours daz ;D ;D ;D

platinum said:
warriorupnorth said:
time is money, c'mon

;D ;D ;D

Ok in answer to your question i'd like to way up the pro's Vs the Con's.

downside: :(
34.5mm of ceiling height gone forever (omg!) :-[
lose out on £10 (MAX) of profit having to pay £1.64 per 2.4 meters.. (omg!) :-[

Plus side: ;D
1) stronger ........this is because as with a lot of older ceilings they may sag in area's also they will have used cloat nails instead of screws which will in time work loose. this is the foundation of our new ceiling were talking about by the way! just before we double the weight of it!!!!.... by battening up your sandwiching the old ceiling between the new batterns and the joists with screws... thus its solid and will forever be solid.

2) save time..... thats right save time.... instead of messing around stabbing ceiling to find joists not knowing if your in the joists properly or half in or half out!

3)easier to board....... this is because you can see where your boards and cuts are ending in the same way as doing a stud wall....

4) no movement ..... with older ceilings some of the cloat nails may have already come loose and therefore risk cracks in your newly plastered ceiling over time.....

5) better alround job with a better longer lasting finish.......

so looks like i'l complicate things and continue to battern then .... the choice is yours daz ;D ;D ;D

But you would be using 40 mm screws right through the old ceiling in to the old joists, so if the old one is screwed or nailed doesnt matter a monkeys f**k :)

Rich

Yep exactly its his choice , but i know i can board and skim a standard room ceiling (5x4) and be on the next job for dinner (or in the pub with an extra twenty quid in my pocket)
I'm not saying your wrong platinum if it works for you then fine but it just seems a bit ott and like i said been overboardin years with not one call back mate
Ps don't forget your labour fixing laths as well as the screws and the chalk and splinters and a saw to cut ya laths and treatment if not pre-treated and the damage to the rain forests ( should be a big smiley on the end of this but typed in quick reply by mistake )

I have an overboard job to do this week and i was thinking about buying a stud locator from b&q
has anyone used one of these for overboarding a woodchip papered ceiling?

I hate breaking into the ceiling - so may sparks and plumbers just chuck their gear on the boards now and dont clip them, you've only got to touch a plastic pipe with something sharp and it start pi$$in everywhere. I like to use a down light cutter, slightly messier but give me more control if its large enough to see whats up there all the better.

The stud detectors are sh1te mate - at least all the ones I've used. doesn't matter what they're over even plain board and its +/- 2inch and it takes soooo long and so many passes to get that far.

not normally one to be argumentative is the old seggs but erm.. fatman? are you suggesting that a 80mm (or whetever size) holesaw is going to do less damage to cables and plastic (even copper) pipe than a pokey stick or a hammer?
and anyway... if its a l+p ceiling the laths will protect whatevers behind em?
and if its new enough to have plastic pipe its new enuff to have boards in which case a hand shaped hole and a good pull ;D will have it sorted in no time ::)

platinum said:
best way by miles is to buy some timber from b and q 50 x 25mm .... screw these into your joists then you've got a frame to work to...... sure it costs for the wood about £1.50 for 2.4m..... but the benefits are endless.... stremgthens the ceiling by sandwiching the old board.... giving your new ceiling more strength and you've got a visual guide instead of guessing where the joists are...... trust me buddy by far best way..... ;D

Platinum im by no means on here to slate anyone but your giving Daz 1968 the wrong end of the stick mate !!!

Firstly as Warrior said your putting un-necessary materials and labour on the job, Why !!!!!!

In order to screw your batterns to the joists youve got to find the joists first,if youve found the joists why not just do what everyone else does and fire some 50mm dry walls thro old board into the joists you've just found, this will pull the ceiling up taking out the sag your on about,also if youve found the joists correctly and ran a chalk line thro you wont need the batterns as the visual aid that your also on about Why !!!!!! Your not giving the ceiling more strenght by putting up batterns just adding more weight to it Why !!!!!!

trust me buddy by far "NOT" best way

If you were working down our way you'd be laughed of the job.

Nuff Said

FatmanWithATrowel said:
I hate breaking into the ceiling - so may sparks and plumbers just chuck their gear on the boards now and dont clip them, you've only got to touch a plastic pipe with something sharp and it start pi$$in everywhere. I like to use a down light cutter, slightly messier but give me more control if its large enough to see whats up there all the better.

The stud detectors are sh1te mate - at least all the ones I've used. doesn't matter what they're over even plain board and its +/- 2inch and it takes soooo long and so many passes to get that far.
very good point mate (wink) i did an overboard recently and just missed a huge pipe ......err the big grey one?? .......absoluetly shat myself and quickly thanked god (smile) .....it ran alongside a small boxing in in the corner of the room .......be a little weary (wink)..........(im touching myself).........(wink)

MUSH 9 said:
platinum said:

Platinum im by no means on here to slate anyone but your giving Daz 1968 the wrong end of the stick mate !!!

Firstly as Warrior said your putting un-necessary materials and labour on the job, Why !!!!!!

In order to screw your batterns to the joists youve got to find the joists first,if youve found the joists why not just do what everyone else does and fire some 50mm dry walls thro old board into the joists you've just found, this will pull the ceiling up taking out the sag your on about,also if youve found the joists correctly and ran a chalk line thro you wont need the batterns as the visual aid that your also on about Why !!!!!! Your not giving the ceiling more strenght by putting up batterns just adding more weight to it Why !!!!!!

Nuff Said

OH NO! BEST NOT DO IT MY WAY DAZ, I'VE JUST BEEN LAUGHED OFF THE SITE!! ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

NUFF SAID! LOL ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

ye im with platinum dont do it his way............
platinum said:
MUSH 9 said:
platinum said:

Nuff Said

OH NO! BEST NOT DO IT MY WAY DAZ, I'VE JUST BEEN LAUGHED OFF THE SITE!! ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

NUFF SAID! LOL ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

bigsegs said:
fatman? are you suggesting that a 80mm (or whetever size) holesaw is going to do less damage to cables and plastic (even copper) pipe than a pokey stick or a hammer?

Not less damage if you catch one no - but less likely to cause the damage in the first place.

Each to their own - but Id rather put 1 hole in and know where 2 joists are than randomly poke lots of holes into a void hoping the resistance is a joist and not a gas pipe.

mmmmmm... drilling into blind spaces... the stories i could tell.. ;D

Status
Not open for further replies.