Order of working

Status
Not open for further replies.

Onecoater

If I want to plaster the walls of a room (Knauf Goldband) but plaster board the ceiling what would you do first?

If the plaster board ceiling is done first, won't I risk making a mess of the plaster boards while doing the walls (paper coating will get wet and could get rips in it while working the float, trowelling off for the finish etc)?

So actually I should plaster the walls first and then the plaster board ceilings should go in?

thanks! 8)

Board the ceiling and skim then do the walls. If your worried about messin it up (you sound like youve never done any plastering) then get in a professional.

spunky said:
skim the ceiling first and scrim the edges

When you say "skim" you mean plaster right? It's not a plastered ceiling, it will be in plaster board.
If I was plastering the whole room, ceilings and all, I would have no hesitation in plastering the ceiling first and then the walls.
But because now plaster board is to be used for ceilings I'm thinking first do the walls in plaster and then install the plaster board ceiling and then work those joints off?

Youd want to board the ceiling before you plaster the walls as you will need to tape the ceiling line (where wall meets ceiling to prevent cracking)

then when ceilings up, plaster the walls!

hope this helps! 8)

Bruce Willis said:
Board the ceiling and skim then do the walls. If your worried about messin it up (you sound like youve never done any plastering) then get in a professional.
Hi - plaster boards are not completely skimmed here - by that i suppose you mean a thin 2-3 mm layer of finishing plaster?
Here just the joints are finished - taped (what you call your scrim net i suppose) than joint filler, then joint finisher. When that is done to a high standard all you have to do is paint over with a good quality paint (nice thick quality latex or so) and it's just one nice flat surface ;)
So.. back to my question - if the ceiling went in first then the paper of the plasterboard risks getting wet when i do the walls...
Logically then i should do walls first then put ceiling in?
If I did work in this way how would you finish of the join between ceiling and wall and/or stop it cracking?

Freerider_2009 said:
Youd want to board the ceiling before you plaster the walls as you will need to tape the ceiling line (where wall meets ceiling to prevent cracking)

then when ceilings up, plaster the walls!

hope this helps! 8)
ah right - you've answered my question about how to protect the join from cracking.
Still worried about the bare paper (and/or dragging the scrim just put on to do the join...) on the plasterboard getting wet and ripping while floating the walls though

Bruce Willis said:
if your not skimmin the ceiling at all just tape n joint then just cork the edge.

Yep, tape and joint no probs.

Can you give a details explanation of what "corking the edge" is please?

Thanks for your answer BTW - very helpful :)

Ive retracted my last statement as I read your post wrong. So your tape and jointing the ceiling?. mate seriously, board the ceiling first . then plaster the walls.

youve been told the same answer 4 times now. and keep asking the question. either do as advised or just do what you thinks best.

steve cov said:
youve been told the same answer 4 times now. and keep asking the question. either do as advised or just do what you thinks best.

yes but in each answer there have been a couple of things i wanted a bit more explanation of. Is that a crime? no real need to flame someone for that ???

Bruce Willis said:
Decoraters cork, . If you dont know what that is are you sure you can tape n joint to a good enough standard?

Are you sure you know what cork is? Cork is a type of wood ???

Maybe you are talking about Caulk? That is a kind of silicone applied with a silicone gun and can come in different colours.
Is that what you meant?
Americans say caulking, in the UK they call it mastic i think.

As for my standards of tape,filling and finishing the joints - I do it very well, i don't even need to sand like I have seen some do to get it nice and smooth - my application is so smooth i don't need sanding.

For the walls i use one coat and my results are very good with that too.

Obviously I can't prove it to you and you are no better off knowing whether I can or not so there is little point trying to prove anyway LOL :)

spread_the_flanders said:
yes but in each answer there have been a couple of things i wanted a bit more explanation of. Is that a crime? no real need to flame someone for that ???
flames.jpg

Is it just me?

Bruce Willis said:
Decoraters cork, . If you dont know what that is are you sure you can tape n joint to a good enough standard?

Maybe you are talking about Caulk? That is a kind of silicone applied with a silicone gun and can come in different colours.
Is that what you meant?

As for my standards of tape,filling and finishing the joints - I do it very well, i don't even need to sand like I have seen some do to get it nice and smooth - my application is so smooth i don't need sanding.

Obviously I can't prove it to you and you are no better off knowing whether I can or not so there is little point trying to prove anyway LOL :)
you co ckey little brat

It does feel like it's getting a tad heated in here tony.

Didn't mean to inflame, genuinely looking for advice from the pros and not meaning to be winding anyone up here!

Bruce Willis said:

Is that what you meant?

ok I was trying to help you out and my spelling isnt the best but trust me mate I know whats what. I wasnt tryin to be funny so dont appreciate the sarky response. Tell you what though if your askin stupid questions like the ceiling will get wet so Ill fit it after then you cant blame me for askin if you can tape n joint to a good standard. After all you asked the question. Are you even sure you know which is the ceiling and which is the wall.
lol get a tradesman to do it.

Why are you worried about the boards getting wet they will dry won't they?
It's only the same as plastering a ceiling where the walls are boarded isn't it?
It'll be fine just whack the boards up & plaster the wall, job done ;)
The boards won't get damaged, and if they do and everything goes wrong well name is kirk johnstone ;D

Bruce Willis said:
ok I was trying to help you out and my spelling isnt the best but trust me mate I know whats what. I wasnt tryin to be funny so dont appreciate the sarky response.
You will notice you started the sarcasm thing in a couple of your previous post so i'm just responding in kind.
I'm not questioning your ability at all, i think your answers are great and helpful, i just don't need you finishing each of ur posts with "you don't know what you are doing" kind of thing. If i knew the answer I wouldn't be here asking ;)

Bruce Willis said:
Tell you what though if your askin stupid questions like the ceiling will get wet si Ill fit it after then you vcant blame me for askin if you can tape n joint to a good standard.
All i'm wondering is and the point that nobody has addressed is - if you put the ceiling in first then you have the paper of plasterboard. If I then plaster the walls then the water in the plaster where it meets the plasterboard will soften the paper.
Have you ever seen the paper on plasterboard get wet? Do you know what I mean? or not really?
I guess you always skim yours so there is no unprotected paper for you to worry about.

Bruce Willis said:
After all you asked the question. Are you even sure you know which is the ceiling and which is the wall.
lol get a tradesman to do it.
Wall = the vertical bits
Ceiling = the horizontal bits opposite to what you are standing on.
Think i got that right :)

Nisus said:
It's only the same as plastering a ceiling where the walls are boarded isn't it?
The boards won't get damaged, and if they do and everything goes wrong well name is kirk johnstone ;D

OK - cheers!

you're right, the paper on the plasterboard will dry but maybe i rip it up with the float while working the walls when it's wet, that's all i was worried of.

But guys - OK. I'll do the ceiling first ok LOL ;D

Nisus said:

OK - cheers!

you're right, the paper on the plasterboard will dry but maybe i rip it up with the float while working the walls when it's wet, that's all i was worried of.

But guys - OK. I'll do the ceiling first ok LOL ;D

Even if you do damage the plasterboard ceiling with your trowel
you will be taping & jointing the ceiling so you can use the joint compound to repair any damage,
but if you are that worried just take your time at the ceiling line, it'll be fine.

Plaster board can get wet with a brush/ splash etc and just dry out. Nisus answered your question already. In fact your question was answered 4 times but that didnt seem good enough. When was I sarky in my previous posts?

Status
Not open for further replies.