Options for skimming Artex?

Members online

Status
Not open for further replies.

NiceFinish

I want to skim over my Artex ceilings. The Artex contains asbestos and I'm not prepared to risk lives, so dry scraping isn't an option. There are a few options I can see and was wondering what would be best or whether there are others. Here are my thoughts on the options I'm aware of.
  1. Thick skim 4-5mm + 1mm. The largest lumps in Artex appear to be 4-4.5mm. Will a skim do this?
  2. Bond + skim. More work and more stuff/weight on the ceiling/Artex.
  3. 50% bond + 50% skim (4-5mm) + 1mm skim. Some people online seem to like this. Are there any problems with this?
  4. Overboarding. This would lower the ceiling too much (an is costly). Not an option.
  5. Removing Artex. I've seen X-Tex. It would be a lot of work and a lot of mess. Is it worth doing? Would the plasterboard be ok after using X-Tex?

You can steam and strip artex but it's f**k**g messy. If you don't want to scrape, overboarding is your best bet.

I want to skim over my Artex ceilings. The Artex contains asbestos and I'm not prepared to risk lives, so dry scraping isn't an option. There are a few options I can see and was wondering what would be best or whether there are others. Here are my thoughts on the options I'm aware of.
  1. Thick skim 4-5mm + 1mm. The largest lumps in Artex appear to be 4-4.5mm. Will a skim do this?
  2. Bond + skim. More work and more stuff/weight on the ceiling/Artex.
  3. 50% bond + 50% skim (4-5mm) + 1mm skim. Some people online seem to like this. Are there any problems with this?
  4. Overboarding. This would lower the ceiling too much (an is costly). Not an option.
  5. Removing Artex. I've seen X-Tex. It would be a lot of work and a lot of mess. Is it worth doing? Would the plasterboard be ok after using X-Tex?
Any pics ?

Over boarding will lower the ceilings too much pmsl.

Just live with the artex then if lowering them by 12mm (using 9.5 boards) is too much

If it was me I'd use a decent mask scrap then either skim or depending on condition overboard.

But if you are that anal about ceiling height and risking lives etc get an asbestos company in to remove said ceilings and have them boarded and skimmed, and never mind about cost this is about potentially saving lives which you cannot put a price on @NiceFinish

Would 2 coats be suffice

2 coats be suffice for that n would u still chuck a couple of handfuls of bonding in on first coat ?
No bonding in it just mix first coat up thicker,flatten and let it settle in ..then lay in second coat trowel off as normal.

Beware though @theplasterman is an agent for unifinish and to my knowledge is the only plasterer in Britain who rates and uses this stuff, even at £5 a bag in Stevenage it is not selling and they get through some serious pallets of finish a week.

Yes I have used it twice and its dog s**t

Beware though @theplasterman is an agent for unifinish and to my knowledge is the only plasterer in Britain who rates and uses this stuff, even at £5 a bag in Stevenage it is not selling and they get through some serious pallets of finish a week.

I hope when the plasterman shows a few spreads how to use this uni finish and they report back, it will answer a few questions.
I think it is b*ll***s but waiting to be proved wrong.

Umm... put it on with a trowel. Unifinish is tremendous. One of the reasons people don't like using it is it's a bit gloopy to put on, bit like spreads that use hardwall on Victorian brick because they don't like using bonding and don't give a s**t when it cracks. If two coats of uni doesn't do it, put three on. Or pva and three multi.

Lol agent plasterman (undercover secret services) reporting for duty..
He did ask for options and opinions..tbh I would think overboard and skim as an option too.

Are you a real person @gps ? I was always under the impression that gps was @flynnyman s second account lol

Glad to hear you have used it twice ..lol..
Just trying to remember how good I was after using my first 2 bags of multi back in the day.

Oh I can remember now
Not very

He did ask for options and opinions..tbh I would think overboard and skim as an option too.

Are you a real person @gps ? I was always under the impression that gps was @flynnyman s second account lol

Just trying to remember how good I was after using my first 2 bags of multi back in the day.

Oh I can remember now
Not very[/QUOTE

Damn you found us out.

Not being funny though after twenty years for me finish plaster is all the same, board multi or uni, the reason I do not like it is on artex it hung around far too long and on walls especially Matt painted walls it goes off as your putting it on so its not I'm unable to use it because I'm new to plastering its down to the fact compared to multi and board its Rubbish expensive and saves no time.

Everyone's got opinion on everything gps .. There's note wrong with that
STICK to the multifinish

Shame it hung for you and left you with a bad feeling about it
Got a feeling you would of liked it if it didn't hang on those 2 bags.

Reactions: gps
Everyone's got opinion on everything gps .. There's note wrong with that
STICK to the multifinish

Shame it hung for you and left you with a bad feeling about it
Got a feeling you would of liked it if it didn't hang on those 2 bags.

Tell gps it's made in Ireland then he will love it.(y)

If I am correct in my thinking
Any artex pre 1950 has asbestos and any thing upto 1990 could contain asbestos
You can remove a small sample and for about £30 have it tested so you will know for sure.

Oh I can remember now
Not very
I don't need a second account to ask or answer a question I'm sure everyone is aware I don't give a f**k :) I like all things plastering there are not many things I don't like, I don't see the need for uni in my job and if you do that's sound I never hate on it. When something is dressed up to f**k and mad claims are made I might have a day but generally I don't slag anything unless it's stupid. A lot off the lads on here were of the opinion I hated machines but that's never been true, if I think someone is miss selling something I will comment, the same as I have will all these tools on the market. I will say if I think something is s**t I'm not here to make friends or enemies but I'm not here to blow smoke up anyone's arse :) oh and @gps is so not like me on so many levels but similar but won't admit it xx oh and every thing I write is not a copy and paste ;)

Surprised no one has mentioned the 'Man the f**k up and get it done' option?

That's the one I would go for personally.

Goodluck.

Or8 guys still new to T.P.F! Just want some advice. I've got two rooms to skim tomorrow onto artex. I've applied one coat of blue grit which someone advised me to use. Is one coat enough? It says on the tub one coat only! On artex!!! Anyone used this?

Status
Not open for further replies.