Opinion of plastering job, please

It's crappy job and he didn't care about it, and I'm not suprised; Think you've got bigger problems than the plaster, everything says damp - was this a carpeted larder or loo? Ventilator? So there 's a brick wedged in to support a bit of block, which has then moved when he's tried to troweled off and cracked. It's blocked and has mould so you just want to just cover it up and hide it? The plaster at floor level is crumbling, due to damp I think, you saw it was in bad shape when you took the skirting off but you let him start and expected him to clear it up and fix it for the same price. Walls and ceiling, say 3 bags and some bead maybe £20 out of the 200 and you "took a chance" - why?

It's crappy job and he didn't care about it, and I'm not suprised; Think you've got bigger problems than the plaster, everything says damp - was this a carpeted larder or loo? Ventilator? So there 's a brick wedged in to support a bit of block, which has then moved when he's tried to troweled off and cracked. It's blocked and has mould so you just want to just cover it up and hide it? The plaster at floor level is crumbling, due to damp I think, you saw it was in bad shape when you took the skirting off but you let him start and expected him to clear it up and fix it for the same price. Walls and ceiling, say 3 bags and some bead maybe £20 out of the 200 and you "took a chance" - why?
Because he was charging £200. Don't blame the customer. They thought they were getting a professional, not just some donk who pulled their pants down and ran away shouting 'it will settle' over his shoulder.

Because he was charging £200. Don't blame the customer. They thought they were getting a professional, not just some donk who pulled their pants down and ran away shouting 'it will settle' over his shoulder.
Thanks Stevieo! Yes, we don't know anything about it, so would of been happy to receive any recommendation he said. We just bought the house took wallpaper off, radiators and the old vent cover, so
He was the first professional we had in the house, at first he looked at it and said 230 then we said we will let him know (as we wanted another quote) , then he said he will do it for 200 as he had an opening for a couple days later... Learnt from our mistake.
It was a small bedroom with carpet for previous owner, I am planning to put down laminate floor and make it into an office. Do you think I will have damp problem??

We just bought the house took wallpaper off, radiators and the old vent cover, so
He was the first professional we had in the house, at first he looked at it and said 230 then we said we will let him know (as we wanted another quote) , then he said he will do it for 200 as he had an opening for a couple days later.

I didn't ask for £200, he quoted it after checking it out. Now, if he said, for plus £100 I can fix up behind skirting board and around the vent I would have accepted that... But I didn't realise he wasn't gonna do that as I am not sure what he was meant to do and he didn't say... but next time I will ask everything I can think of. Maybe I was naive but I thought the wall will be smooth from top to bottom, accept the vent space which I imagined a nice square whole.
So what do you recommend at this point? You mentioned mould as well etc...

We just bought the house took wallpaper off, radiators and the old vent cover, so
He was the first professional we had in the house, at first he looked at it and said 230 then we said we will let him know (as we wanted another quote) , then he said he will do it for 200 as he had an opening for a couple days later.

I didn't ask for £200, he quoted it after checking it out. Now, if he said, for plus £100 I can fix up behind skirting board and around the vent I would have accepted that... But I didn't realise he wasn't gonna do that as I am not sure what he was meant to do and he didn't say... but next time I will ask everything I can think of. Maybe I was naive but I thought the wall will be smooth from top to bottom, accept the vent space which I imagined a nice square whole.
Why do you want the wall patching behind the skirting? You won’t see it when you put skirting back on anyway, you want a gap between the plaster and the floor.
That vent is blocked up on the outside, you should have told him to block the inside up too.

Thanks Stevieo! Yes, we don't know anything about it, so would of been happy to receive any recommendation he said. We just bought the house took wallpaper off, radiators and the old vent cover, so
He was the first professional we had in the house, at first he looked at it and said 230 then we said we will let him know (as we wanted another quote) , then he said he will do it for 200 as he had an opening for a couple days later... Learnt from our mistake.
It was a small bedroom with carpet for previous owner, I am planning to put down laminate floor and make it into an office. Do you think I will have damp problem??

Anyway, see if @Dansouthcoast84 can help you out.

Don't chuck good money after bad - no-one on here would dare do you a bad job.

Why do you want the wall patching behind the skirting? You won’t see it when you put skirting back on anyway, you want a gap between the plaster and the floor.
That vent is blocked up on the outside, you should have told him to block the inside up too.
Because he's gone near the skirting line. No doubt down here and up there. Look at the state of his corner. It's up a good inch or two from the skirting line...

You've got 2 options really, patch up what he's done with filler where it's needed, sand it all down and paint it. It may look alright if you put a few hours work into it. Or pay another local plasterer with a good reputation to redo it all and it look spot on.
Regarding the vent if it's completely blocked up like it looks then a plasterer could plaster over that so you wouldn't need to put a new vent cover on, as it's redundant anyway.

At least it was only a small box room and he didn't bodge your entire house. As you say, lesson learnt

six foot two and a ninth?

Used to work with a polish fella who measured exactly like that. He'd shout down something exactly like that and expect me to be able to cut the board.

Luckily, he wasn't the boss, so I f**k*d him off and jumped up.

Trouble was, it didn't do me any good because he didn't understand mm being shouted down to him.

'dom, cut me one at two three three seven'

No comprendez. No matter how many times I tried to explain, it just didn't sink in.

See, it’s hard to say with plastering and pictures.

From a plasterers point of view i can see it’s been over troweled and over watered but that’s irrelevant. Angles look ok, looks flat from what i can see. Could possibly paint up fine.

And for £200

See, it’s hard to say with plastering and pictures.

From a plasterers point of view i can see it’s been over troweled and over watered but that’s irrelevant. Angles look ok, looks flat from what i can see. Could possibly paint up fine.

And for £200

You'd probably say my work is over trowelled but I don't give a f**k because it paints up ok and that's all that counts.

You'd probably say my work is over trowelled but I don't give a f**k because it paints up ok and that's all that counts.
Over troweling is only the jumping off point of how rubbish that job is.
Will it sand? Yes.
Can you fill imperfections? Yes.
Can you paint it? Yes.
Is this what you get for £200? Yes.

Last edited: