One coating on board

Members online

Status
Not open for further replies.

SpankySouthport

Private Member
:RpS_scared:

First time in about 8 years I've one coated, thought I would give it a go as I'm going back on site for a little while..

1 1/2 hours a gauge sponging, was able to spread a similar amount to 2 coating..
Left a matt finish completely I probably would have give it another one if I was 2 coating...

DF7380CC-9240-4C14-9082-00479335071C-2159-0000010FA2227EC6_zpsa3647477.jpg

4DD3727D-EB86-4BFF-B79B-7DD98EFD6DF6-2159-0000010F9825A6B5_zps5a4d94a3.jpg

5544A794-DD63-42F3-A3A5-46AC5F0347A1-2159-0000010F8CF66575_zps0a4dde8f.jpg

Argument settled i think! Could you do my chimney breast?, cause that woud keep my kids away from the fire.

It looks really rough Spanky. There's no overlapping during the wet trowel and you've even missed some areas completely :)

Also, with the sun shining through the window, I would have finished with horizontal strokes :)

Lol thought this may get some men talking...

it isn't rough as such just needed another trowel, all that had was one coat, flatten, sponge & cross trowel..
@Minh when I trowel up the bottom half I give it a horizontal wet pass, then with a dry trowel come up from the bottom then down towards the bottom hence it's looks like misses even though it isn't..

Its not a great finish by a long shot and that wasnt the point in me posting, I'm going on site for a little while and because the prices are sh**e I need to push the meterage by one coating...

Last edited by a moderator:

it isn't rough as such just needed another trowel, all that had was one coat, flatten, sponge & cross trowel..
@Minh when I trowel up the bottom half I give it a horizontal wet pass, then with a dry trowel come up from the bottom then down towards the bottom hence it's looks like misses even though it isn't..

Its not a great finish by a long shot and that wasnt the point in me posting, I'm going on site for a little while and because the prices are sh**e I need to push the meterage by one coating...

if you leave the finish like that even on site the "little while" will be shorter than you think lol

Fair play Spanky. I don't see misses but areas that look like they haven't been closed in properly. On thing to consider is that since you took on the work, regardless of the price, you should still aim to finish it to the same standard whether it be one or two coats :)

Fair play Spanky. I don't see misses but areas that look like they haven't been closed in properly. On thing to consider is that since you took on the work, regardless of the price, you should still aim to finish it to the same standard whether it be one or two coats :)

I agree bud trust me, this was my first attempt at one coat sponging and need to get the timings right..

it hasn't been closed in properly without a doubt but it is passable in the flesh..

Half feel like I need to post a pic of some real work as it defo seems like I'm a chancer lol maybe I am :RpS_biggrin:

its only a bit of skimming though gents lol

A wudnt do the job if its going to make you look sub standard, by having to rush it sounds more like a poor pay job , which is shite but if needs must, but u don't wanna fuk ur name or u wudnt be gettin much more gd money jobs ! I would hate knowing I

Havin a 2 price stucture , bodj job and good job . . . .

Surely if the price is dictated you then the price dictates the level off effort which goes into your work? An £8 piece of steak is of alot higher quality than a £2 piece. Why should your work not be the same?

if its not worth doing its not worth doing. if you keep taking **** they will keep feeding it to you. bad work leads to NO work

Spanky one of the main things you have to look out for is not getting on it too early after its sponged you still want it to feel tacky then carry you're hawk with you when youre troweling and put the stuff on the hawk youre taking off, then go lay a cupboard on with it ha ha
Did you soak the wall before you sponged?

I don't agree with that I know of bigger firms that keep shite spreads going because there fast and send in patcher a behind them to sort it out. It's all very well everyone saying if the price is crap dont do it but the problem being is there's plenty that will. So what do you do sit at home and be a martyr or go to work and be able to pay the bills. Rates in the north west are shocking at present a fairly big sized outfit went under in February as due to overheads they can't compete with what others are going in at

Spanky one of the main things you have to look out for is not getting on it too early after its sponged you still want it to feel tacky then carry you're hawk with you when youre troweling and put the stuff on the hawk youre taking off, then go lay a cupboard on with it ha ha
Did you soak the wall before you sponged?

No bud was just dipping the sponge in water, do you wet the wall down first? Was using my hawk for the fat as you said before much better than cleaning the trowel off after every other pass..

Status
Not open for further replies.