on a 100 pound day rate?

Status
Not open for further replies.

oldschool

ok. working for a builder at the moment on that day rate i know am selling myself sort but its whats got to be done to pay the bills.. i look at it like this way.. its work for a start. better than fook all. as long as your not pulling your ballacks off an gettin raped.. its work at the end of the day. leave your work spot on as always but taking it easy at the same time which no pressure.. well there's no pressure at the moment ha.

100 a day isnt bad considering. some of the lads would wish to be on that money. its either earn 500 a week or earn 00000 sitting on your arse watching jeremy kyle.

yeah i must add, i wouldnt be working my arse off for 100 a day, 2 mixes a day if i was skimming. and i'd make sure i had a break aswell

There's a big difference between 100 daily and 150 occasionally......if you got regular bills etc I know which one I'd go for mate

That 's ok mate there is nothing up with that let me tell you.

pride come's before a fall

yeah i must add, i wouldnt be working my arse off for 100 a day, 2 mixes a day if i was skimming. and i'd make sure i had a break aswell

thats what am doing 2 gauges an thats all .. the prep work takes a bit longer. am not moaning by the way lads i do feel lucky to be in work .. .... i think thats the heart ache in plastering is you do get use to the good money.

For a builder at todays climate £100 a day is good for two gaugeings long may it continue,but private domesic work have found out that customers want alot more than two guages.Say if a job took 2 days they think you can do it in one so the heat is on to get it done as quick as possible just to scrape a wage.

Hello Mate
If your actually working for him i.e. he has taken you on then £100 is ok but if you are running a business and he is subbing out to you then your kidding yourself, deduct the tax and your business expences then whats left divide that by an average 40 hour week and you would earn more stacking shelves in Tesco

Yer but he is a trademan and tesco is not on his radar. Where I was working today the fencers are on £60 a day on the books and they graft for it.

its okay being gready but in 2 day market the way things are you wont get work if you want 2 work you will imo i grab what i can & b*ll***s 2 TESCO S

Greedy builders mate Id find that sole destroying,
Surely if everyone stood there ground somebody would still get the graft end of the day they still need the work done, my guess is that hes still booking the guys out at the same rate he was in the first place, and making a bit more on the blokes by using the current climate to his advantage. What would bother me is that you still have to try and get your day rate back up at some point, and once you do it for one others want it done for the same price.

Its a hard line between earning a wedge and paying the bills. I wish you all the best mate, with a bit of luck something else will come in and hell realise hes been taking the piss.

AB

I'm on the same at the moment £100 a day for a developer. He gets me all the material and cleanup after me so cant complain really

so spunks if you had no work on and needed bills paying, you wouldnt accept 100? i know i would. still 2 grand a month. i wouldnt want to go lower though

no it wouldnt pay the bills, if someone said to me i can only pay you 100 a day i would know they are taking the piss and would politely tell them to **** right off

it may not pay all the bills in some peoples case, but it will pay the majority. so you'd sit at home and earn nowt?

ad be more than happy with 100 notes up my end,80 quid and they still turn there nose up but needs must!

ok. working for a builder at the moment on that day rate i know am selling myself sort but its whats got to be done to pay the bills.. i look at it like this way.. its work for a start. better than fook all. as long as your not pulling your ballacks off an gettin raped.. its work at the end of the day. leave your work spot on as always but taking it easy at the same time which no pressure.. well there's no pressure at the moment ha.

Good luck to you mate, but I must admit that it would p*ss me off big time to think a fkin builder was getting one over on me, although I can understand what folk are saying like 'half a loaf is better than none'

One question though - Why didn't you give him a price for the work instead of daywork? .............At least then you wouldn't mind banging out 3 or 4 sets per day:RpS_cool:

i can understand everyone saying that we should all stick to our guns and demand a top wage and in an ideal world we would all be on 150 a day or whatever, but the reality is far from it, if you are asked to price a job the whole point is that you try and beat any other price therefore getting the contract, so we are all cutting each others throats in a way, and there are people who will work for 40 , 50 or 60 a day or whatever , its human nature, so if you got to work for 100 a day so be it, hopefully work will pick up and so will the money. in domestic ive found that most of my customers around here are on about 230 to 250 a week, he will leave at 7.30 and be back in at 5.30 or 6 and he earns 50 a day so he isnt going to give 2 figs if a plasterer or brickie etc thinks he should be earning 4 times what he brings home, he doesnt want to hear about tax outgoings buying tools paying silly money for diesel, insurance ,accountants etc, he thinks the plasterer or who ever is taking the piss, and will therefore search for a cheaper price, human nature again and this in turn knocks prices down, this gets worse in a reccession cos the customer has to scrimp and save and therefore get tightfisted, plus everyman and his dog knows how much a bag of skim costs and they see these courses for 250 quid saying they will teach you plastering so they start putting 2 and 2 together and come up with the fact that all plasterers are thieving lazy scum bags .

where abouts are all you guys from? i havent found my rates have changed. mostly just working for a regular set of guys and they still get the same, and still pass it on. maybe iv just been lucky. but agree with spunky, if someone said would i do a job for £100 i would say no out of principle, as all it means is the next guy has to work for £90 to beat you. but fortunatly i havent been in a position of sitting at home 5 days a week yet, so i cant say how id react to £100 if i was.

where abouts are all you guys from? i havent found my rates have changed. mostly just working for a regular set of guys and they still get the same, and still pass it on. maybe iv just been lucky. but agree with spunky, if someone said would i do a job for £100 i would say no out of principle, as all it means is the next guy has to work for £90 to beat you. but fortunatly i havent been in a position of sitting at home 5 days a week yet, so i cant say how id react to £100 if i was.
yea you are lucky long mait continue for you the people who give you work must be good tradesmen.

as for what you would do its simple if you had bills and no money and no work and someone offered you 100 a day you d jump

You have to do what you got to do, if you have kids and a family you do whatever it takes to ensure they are looked after if that means licking dustbins clean for £10 a day you have to do it. and I wish the media would shut up as well about the recession... if they did not start shouting about it nobody would know there was one ....

ime sticking to 150 --a lot of work for previous customers at the moment so that makes it easier....

Status
Not open for further replies.