older plasterers,what trowel did you use?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Seen and used most trowels, but don't think I ever came across a diston.
Heard good things about them.
Anyone know where they're from and what they looked like?

Didnt diston used to make saws too? Sure my dads old saws are diston and something else

Last edited:
Seen and used most trowels, but don't think I ever came across a diston.
Heard good things about them.
Anyone know where they're from and what they looked like?

diston were made in canada. they looked like every other plastering trowel!

I rarely use, and the trick is bicarbonate of soda in a tray with water
Was only kidding! Yeah that's gone too far for rubbing with a block mate, I find caustic soda works a treat for a trowel that's been round the block a bit.

tyzak centenary, green handle diston, both 11 inch.
about 1968 i saw a chap using a 14 inch marshalltown, he told me that i could purchase one in east london, on the sat. i drove to london and purchased one, all the plasterers that i was working with called it a sabre ! then they wanted to have a go with it and i had trouble getting it back. the next sat. i had to return to london and pick up another 6 trowels, a couple of sets of metal floor rules and a 6ft metal level . all these tools were not available in colchester at that time.
Year i was born

image.jpg

tyzak --------- born and bred in Sheffield before they closed all the steel works

still got my tyzack twitcher 34 years old :)

Not old but my first was a permashape marshal town 13
My 1st trowel too. Met a grisly end after about a year. Put too much on, panicked, got stressed, launched it across room, snapped 2 of the welds and bent it out of shape. Had to finish walls like that, as couldn't drive, dad left me on job. Had too much faith in me. He wasn't happy when he got back!!!!
Cost me a trowel and 2 days wages.

My 1st trowel too. Met a grisly end after about a year. Put too much on, panicked, got stressed, launched it across room, snapped 2 of the welds and bent it out of shape. Had to finish walls like that, as couldn't drive, dad left me on job. Had too much faith in me. He wasn't happy when he got back!!!!
Cost me a trowel and 2 days wages.

haha I am known to throw stuff in anger... was mainly floppy tape measures though

Status
Not open for further replies.