older plasterers,what trowel did you use?

Status
Not open for further replies.

boardfinished

i started with a 12" tyzack, they were the best trowels then, mt was looked upon as a toy trowel.

how times have changed.

same as you plasterpeter (but not still got it) even back then mt were the trowel to have

tyzak centenary, green handle diston, both 11 inch.
about 1968 i saw a chap using a 14 inch marshalltown, he told me that i could purchase one in east london, on the sat. i drove to london and purchased one, all the plasterers that i was working with called it a sabre ! then they wanted to have a go with it and i had trouble getting it back. the next sat. i had to return to london and pick up another 6 trowels, a couple of sets of metal floor rules and a 6ft metal level . all these tools were not available in colchester at that time.

tyzak centenary, green handle diston, both 11 inch.
about 1968 i saw a chap using a 14 inch marshalltown, he told me that i could purchase one in east london, on the sat. i drove to london and purchased one, all the plasterers that i was working with called it a sabre ! then they wanted to have a go with it and i had trouble getting it back. the next sat. i had to return to london and pick up another 6 trowels, a couple of sets of metal floor rules and a 6ft metal level . all these tools were not available in colchester at that time.

They must be available there now though ?

I'm not a member of this " older plasterers" brotherhood yet but when I came to London my dad told me to buy a double shank Tyzak, 14 rivets (?).
I got a m/town. Now the wheel has turned and I'm back on Tyzaks, lovely trowels

details_sale.gif
is this the one your using eddie, if so i might give one a go at that price, cheap as chips

sharethis.png

• pricematch.png
  • popularchoice.png
  • needhelp.png

WHS Tyzack 14458BISF Stainless Steel Pre Worn Trowel - 14" x 4 5/8"
Product Code: SJ-14458BISF

£16.95
(Inc. VAT)
Was: £29.95Save: £13.00 (43
- See more at: http://www.toolventure.co.uk/hand-tools/sj-14458bisf.html#sthash.4bvIYzZ1.dpuf

we did have the double tang tyzaks but they were not popular as you could not hang them on your bucket.
we did use them on floor screeds in those days we would rub and trowel up the screed around the outer edges before we pulled the middle, and you could put extra weight on the double tang trowel.

11" single tang tyzack stainless.

I think it cost £57.00 in 1986.

Lovely trowel, got it razor sharp and left a gleaming finish with it. Effortless!

The metal blade on these new ones are similar but they just don't last as long.

details_sale.gif
is this the one your using eddie, if so i might give one a go at that price, cheap as chips

sharethis.png

• pricematch.png
  • popularchoice.png
  • needhelp.png

WHS Tyzack 14458BISF Stainless Steel Pre Worn Trowel - 14" x 4 5/8"
Product Code: SJ-14458BISF

£16.95
(Inc. VAT)
Was: £29.95Save: £13.00 (43
- See more at: http://www.toolventure.co.uk/hand-tools/sj-14458bisf.html#sthash.4bvIYzZ1.dpuf

Looks like the same one. Lovely trowel to use skimming, don't even get the mt out of the van. Lovely and light but don't think it would last a lifetime of sand n cement. Get one and in a week you'll be saying thanks

12 inch steel marshalltown,sand and cement to break it in, wooden handle with plenty of spittle on (taught by my boss) to seal, and it worked!

i started with a 12" tyzack, they were the best trowels then, mt was looked upon as a toy trowel.

how times have changed.
14 inch mt 25 years ago.Carbon steel.Given to me by my father, I had to pay so much a week from my wages back to him.I minded it like a baby and it lasted years.

Got one from 1989 in the shed that's less than 3" on the nose. Turn up on site back then if you weren't 'headhunted', first 3 questions, are you Irish ?, how many m2 a day will you do ? And if you got through that, show me your finishing trowels

Started with a tysak then went on to a goldblatt which was part of a toolbox awarded by BG, good trowel not seen one since.

Status
Not open for further replies.