Old Victorian property with “damp problem”

el_indio

Afternoon all, been a while!

I’ve got a job next week and not sure about it now.

First off, it’s in an old 1900 property. Big drafty, grand old place. A damp man has been in and injected all that damp-proofing stuff on several walls at skirting level (not sure I believe in this process but that’s another topic) and he’s asked me to overboard the walls to re-skim.

I pointed out that there’s all the original cornicing, and picture rails to consider, that I can feather the skim onto them but 15mm of the profile will be lost.

He said they won’t mind (err…they do as it turns out)

Anyway, bear with me here.

First question, he wants me to prime the old plaster walls with SBR to prevent damp coming back (surely nonsense) I’ll do it but I only ever use pva to overskim (and blue grit from time to time which I think is SBR) How have you lot found SBR as a primer compared to standard PVA (do you water it down? How does the skim behave? How do you use it?)

Secondly, the “blown” plaster isn’t too bad in most places. I’m hesitant to overboard breathable walls, so considering suggesting blue grit or SBR and multifinish on top (therefore keep the dado rails etc) and save the clients cost of moisture boards. I think they’ll be re-wallpapering like the rest of the house anyway.

Tbh I think that this “damp” issue is nothing more than condensation. Whilst it’s a huge palatial property, it’s scruffy and they keep corners crammed with furniture and bookcases. Therefore, the peeling wallpaper. Basically, what’s the odds that the “damp” will return eh??

Did I mention the trees and Ivy against the house? No? There you go.

Third, One wall is a crumbling state, so I’ve suggested we *could* break the old plaster back to brick 1.2 up from floor and replace with moisture board then skim over whole area up to picture rail?
Any thoughts on this? Will this encourage any problems?

Anyway, to cut a long story short:
1. Is blue grit the same as SBR?
2. Is moisture board ok to use against with old lime plaster?
3. Is multifinish ok to skim over lime plaster walls?

Thanks for reading this essay

Firstly why you letting somebody else tell you how to do the job and secondly it makes no difference anyway as you don’t know how to do the job properly anyway knock this job on the head and move on fella
he needs to knock the whole trade on head......going on what he's said, he obviously hasn't got a fkin clue what he's doing

he needs to knock the whole trade on head......going on what he's said, he obviously hasn't got a fkin clue what he's doing
Just don’t know how to lime plaster that’s all fella. Do you? Never done it, and don’t want to screw up someone’s house. Others on this site and on previous posts have said just multifinish everything. I figured I’d ask on here first, maybe get some helpful advice. Nope. Cheerio.

Just don’t know how to lime plaster that’s all fella. Do you? Never done it, and don’t want to screw up someone’s house. Others on this site and on previous posts have said just multifinish everything. I figured I’d ask on here first, maybe get some helpful advice. Nope. Cheerio.
giphy (2).gif