Old bloke on a mission...

Members online

manbitescat

Wotcha. I'm Steve and I could do with some advice. I'm refurbing our lounge, it's pretty big - 5.88 metres by 5 metres. I'm going to over board the ceiling, which is a lofty 3.1 metres. I've hacked out old cornice and chalk lined the joists and I'm putting in timber fillets round the edge. It's the original ceiling and imo has stood up pretty well over the last 100 years or so. No it's not perfectly even, it belly's out a bit in places, but overall not too bad. Couple of questions. 1) I'm planning on using 60mm drywall screws (drywall 12.5mm, old ceiling plaster around 16mm, lathes maybe 4mm) - In places where the ceiling is bellying, could I use washers to help the screws pull the old ceiling back up to the joists? 2) Are drywall screws the best idea when screwing into joists? Included couple of snaps, any advice gratefully received.

Attachments

• IMG_1940.jpeg
    IMG_1940.jpeg
    116.8 KB · Views: 127
  • IMG_1941.jpeg
    IMG_1941.jpeg
    70.1 KB · Views: 122
Question 1, No
Question 2, yes
Basically, if I'm understanding you correctly, you are hoping a sheet of gypsum wrapped in paper is going to pull up bellies in the lathe and plaster.
Trust me it will not.

Question 1, No
Question 2, yes
Basically, if I'm understanding you correctly, you are hoping a sheet of gypsum wrapped in paper is going to pull up bellies in the lathe and plaster.
Trust me it will not.
It will to a degree, and will even them out. Old ceilings joists usually 400mm apart maximum so will pull it up

Wotcha. I'm Steve and I could do with some advice. I'm refurbing our lounge, it's pretty big - 5.88 metres by 5 metres. I'm going to over board the ceiling, which is a lofty 3.1 metres. I've hacked out old cornice and chalk lined the joists and I'm putting in timber fillets round the edge. It's the original ceiling and imo has stood up pretty well over the last 100 years or so. No it's not perfectly even, it belly's out a bit in places, but overall not too bad. Couple of questions. 1) I'm planning on using 60mm drywall screws (drywall 12.5mm, old ceiling plaster around 16mm, lathes maybe 4mm) - In places where the ceiling is bellying, could I use washers to help the screws pull the old ceiling back up to the joists? 2) Are drywall screws the best idea when screwing into joists? Included couple of snaps, any advice gratefully received.
To board and skim that is a days work for a plasterer. You're probably going to pay almost the same labour to get it plastered as you would to get them to board and plaster it