Old bloke on a mission..

Members online

No members online now.

manbitescat

Wotcha. I'm Steve and I could do with some advice. I'm refurbing our lounge, it's pretty big - 5.88 metres by 5 metres. I'm going to over board the ceiling, which is a lofty 3.1 metres. I've hacked out old cornice and chalk lined the joists and I'm putting in timber fillets round the edge. It's the original ceiling and imo has stood up pretty well over the last 100 years or so. No it's not perfectly even, it belly's out a bit in places, but overall not too bad. Couple of questions. 1) I'm planning on using 60mm drywall screws (drywall 12.5mm, old ceiling plaster around 16mm, lathes maybe 4mm) - In places where the ceiling is bellying, could I use washers to help the screws pull the old ceiling back up to the joists? 2) Are drywall screws the best idea when screwing into joists? Included couple of snaps, any advice gratefully received.

Attachments

• IMG_1940.jpeg
    IMG_1940.jpeg
    116.8 KB · Views: 154
  • IMG_1941.jpeg
    IMG_1941.jpeg
    70.1 KB · Views: 144
75mm screws for that
(don’t tell anyone but I 3.5mm pilot hole aswell because despise ratchet drivers types wazzing big screws in to everything because they can)

Wotcha. I'm Steve and I could do with some advice. I'm refurbing our lounge, it's pretty big - 5.88 metres by 5 metres. I'm going to over board the ceiling, which is a lofty 3.1 metres. I've hacked out old cornice and chalk lined the joists and I'm putting in timber fillets round the edge. It's the original ceiling and imo has stood up pretty well over the last 100 years or so. No it's not perfectly even, it belly's out a bit in places, but overall not too bad. Couple of questions. 1) I'm planning on using 60mm drywall screws (drywall 12.5mm, old ceiling plaster around 16mm, lathes maybe 4mm) - In places where the ceiling is bellying, could I use washers to help the screws pull the old ceiling back up to the joists? 2) Are drywall screws the best idea when screwing into joists? Included couple of snaps, any advice gratefully received.

You may as well pull it down now.

Get the plasterer back should have lasted more than 100 years.
Ask for money back, should not have paid him.