Now here's a question for you!!

Members online

Errm, not really no, the odd occasion yes but not for a full day doing big hits or out. When I have its just been either boarding, tanking or a very small hit.
Be a confidence builder and force him out of his rut , working along side of you he's not taking responsibility , easy to get stuck in that situation and he would probably step up a gear

Or you will both realize that's as good as it gets , then maybe change tack and get another spread in and make a more efficient team , nothing wrong with a good labourer who can do a bit ,
A long time ago a decent labourer was well sort after and respected member of an efficient team and was paid accordingly

Be a confidence builder and force him out of his rut , working along side of you he's not taking responsibility , easy to get stuck in that situation and he would probably step up a gear

Or you will both realize that's as good as it gets , then maybe change tack and get another spread in and make a more efficient team , nothing wrong with a good labourer who can do a bit ,
A long time ago a decent labourer was well sort after and respected member of an efficient team and was paid accordingly

No space or money for plasterers labourer any more

I think he's already gotten used to being with me and he's sooo laid back stuck in first gear, I've never ever shouted at him or anything, I've told him a few times he needs to speed up for his own sake, if ever I have to have time off he has to because he can't complete a job on his own and I've told him he needs to learn to do the job so he can continue working if Im ever off. And he agrees and says yea I know, but does nothing about it.

It's a tough one with family I learnt quite alot through my apprenticeship it was only when my apprenticeship was over that I actually started to learn more as I had to to things on my own and by doing it on your own you learn more,the chaps who taught me for 5 years and carried on working alongside for another 4years after said to me after my apprenticeship if your ever stuck just ask but we cant babysit nomore your on price like the rest of us i can see where your brother is coming from maybe he's abit scared he will f**k up on his own I did aswell when I was first doing things on my own I just think u need to kick him up the arse put him on jobs on his own but just start him out on small jobs so how he goes

My young lad is doing a few days with me now.He’s 14 and have to say it’s a great help.I keep him busy the whole time.If he ever does come full time he won’t be getting any special treatment.A few weeks now and again thrown in with a Donegal gang on price would be great for any young lad.:sisi:

It's a tough one with family I learnt quite alot through my apprenticeship it was only when my apprenticeship was over that I actually started to learn more as I had to to things on my own and by doing it on your own you learn more,the chaps who taught me for 5 years and carried on working alongside for another 4years after said to me after my apprenticeship if your ever stuck just ask but we cant babysit nomore your on price like the rest of us i can see where your brother is coming from maybe he's abit scared he will f**k up on his own I did aswell when I was first doing things on my own I just think u need to kick him up the arse put him on jobs on his own but just start him out on small jobs so how he goes
I was the same mate, I learnt with my uncle, again with family and he treat me like a slave driver labouring for 2 years looking after 2/3 spreads, getting 250 a week, it was only when I went in my own I actually learnt more. I'm going to have to have words with him next week I think, cant carry on like this.

My young lad is doing a few days with me now.He’s 14 and have to say it’s a great help.I keep him busy the whole time.If he ever does come full time he won’t be getting any special treatment.A few weeks now and again thrown in with a Donegal gang on price would be great for any young lad.:sisi:
At his age he will learn quick if he wants to, my brother is 31, so I don't know if he's started too late or what but Im a believer in your never too old to learn anything.

At his age he will learn quick if he wants to, my brother is 31, so I don't know if he's started too late or what but Im a believer in your never too old to learn anything.
I’d say any decent plasterer could show thirty or forty youngsters the ropes and maybe one might take to it.It might take a few years to get good enough to make money from it but the one who will make it will stand out from the word go.Anyway there is easier ways to make a living.

Get your brother on here to have his say, i have heard he is on another forum calling his mentor a s**t teacher, if you was any good you would have taught him by now or told him as long as he has an arse he will never make it as a spread.
Send him to me for a week and i will teach him to bead up for a start.

I think he's already gotten used to being with me and he's sooo laid back stuck in first gear, I've never ever shouted at him or anything, I've told him a few times he needs to speed up for his own sake, if ever I have to have time off he has to because he can't complete a job on his own and I've told him he needs to learn to do the job so he can continue working if Im ever off. And he agrees and says yea I know, but does nothing about it.

Make or break. Tell him, that its not working out and leave him alone on a job.

I’d say any decent plasterer could show thirty or forty youngsters the ropes and maybe one might take to it.It might take a few years to get good enough to make money from it but the one who will make it will stand out from the word go.Anyway there is easier ways to make a living.
Definitely mate.

Get your brother on here to have his say, i have heard he is on another forum calling his mentor a s**t teacher, if you was any good you would have taught him by now or told him as long as he has an arse he will never make it as a spread.
Send him to me for a week and i will teach him to bead up for a start.
Hahaha, he can bead up, board and skim he's just slow, has the knowledge of everything else he just doesn't seem to want to have a go doing it all.

Pity, cos a good labourer back in the day was essential. We had an Italian guy, great for getting you set up when there's already half a dozen squads on the job. Got to make money, a good labourer back then could make that happen.
Bang on, when I was learning, my gaffer had a labourer in his 50s, tell you what he was the best, buckets of water ready all bags ready, all board and stand ready all tools ready, All scaffolds set up if needed one, all walls glued up, rooms swept and cleaned out, he used to scrape floor while you was skimming in same room, he'd run rings round any lad I know, he's still doing it now on and off, and he's happy getting £50 a day.

@bof said good advise I think
I was told never employ friends or family. I think the reason people say that is because it is messy if it comes to getting rid of em. Puts strains on relationships, arguments at family weddings or worse at funerals!
One boss I had said regarding those that don’t really take to a trade well “you can’t put in what God left out” implying it is a DNA thing?
Being slow could be a perfectionist thing which can be harnessed to being very good at something in the end?
On the plus side he ain’t gonna set up on his own so you may have a good loyal employee. You just need to position him correctly. But if it is just you two that is difficult to place him only at what he can do. It’s easier to go from two in yourBusiness to three than it is to go to two from one! If you think you can get the work there are plenty of unemployed out there. Maybe he is a Labour with extra’s. Does he look any good in stockings and suspenders!?

@bof said good advise I think
I was told never employ friends or family. I think the reason people say that is because it is messy if it comes to getting rid of em. Puts strains on relationships, arguments at family weddings or worse at funerals!
One boss I had said regarding those that don’t really take to a trade well “you can’t put in what God left out” implying it is a DNA thing?
Being slow could be a perfectionist thing which can be harnessed to being very good at something in the end?
On the plus side he ain’t gonna set up on his own so you may have a good loyal employee. You just need to position him correctly. But if it is just you two that is difficult to place him only at what he can do. It’s easier to go from two in yourBusiness to three than it is to go to two from one! If you think you can get the work there are plenty of unemployed out there. Maybe he is a Labour with extra’s. Does he look any good in stockings and suspenders!?
He hates being called a labourer, even tho its what he's better at some times, I have a lot of work but don't want to get another person on the books as it will create more hassle no doubt at first, I just want him able to do a jib on his own, wouldn't have a clue if he looks good in stockings, and I don't want to know either haha.

As long as you're paying him according to what he can do I can't see any problem.
I soon realised that the less I taught the young lads the better it was for me. Put time and effort into teaching them and they just f**k off quicker.

As long as you're paying him according to what he can do I can't see any problem.
I soon realised that the less I taught the young lads the better it was for me. Put time and effort into teaching them and they just f**k off quicker.
It's mad though mate, I've told him he can earn so much more if he's willing to do more, I pay him 100 a day, I had a lad help me other day and he said bloody hell I'd be happy at 500 a week to do what he does, he's got it easy with you. It's so frustrating.

My old man didn't spend a single minute stopping to teach me a single thing. It was up to me to run those hods of muck up quick enough to make time to watch, learn and put things into practice.
Obviously it was way easier labouring when skimming, and that's why everyone I knew learnt to skim way before they could float a wall. This taught you that speed and working to a system was all important and that just carried through to when you were plastering full time.

It's mad though mate, I've told him he can earn so much more if he's willing to do more, I pay him 100 a day, I had a lad help me other day and he said bloody hell I'd be happy at 500 a week to do what he does, he's got it easy with you. It's so frustrating.
Well if he's not covering his £100 a day and making your life easier get rid. Simples.

When I started I was quite slow aswell had an OCD perfectionist attitude there couldn't be one blemish on a wall I skimmed,whatever I floated has to be level and plumb I had to cut boards to the exact mm didnt like any kind of gaps anywhere,I got pulled aside by the gaffer one day he said look I'm glad your taking pride in what you do but stop being so typical with it all your nitpicking to much I said if I do a bad job it's your company's name on it not mine, he just told me to relax and enjoy it,he said I've had loads of lads work for me not many make it he said you can take a horse to water but you cant make it drink

When I started I was quite slow aswell had an OCD perfectionist attitude there couldn't be one blemish on a wall I skimmed,whatever I floated has to be level and plumb I had to cut boards to the exact mm didnt like any kind of gaps anywhere,I got pulled aside by the gaffer one day he said look I'm glad your taking pride in what you do but stop being so typical with it all your nitpicking to much I said if I do a bad job it's your company's name on it not mine, he just told me to relax and enjoy it,he said I've had loads of lads work for me not many make it he said you can take a horse to water but you cant make it drink
And was this the start of you becoming a dog rough chancer?

As the others have said, he can only earn what he is worth. Put him on his own jobs and tell him he's only getting paid what that job is bringing in from the client, nothing more. Yes, he'll find it stressful or get pissed off at how little he is earning and quit, or get it. Be prepared for strops & to go back and fix jobs at a loss if he gets it wrong.

It sounds like he's a little slow? My stepson has LD (Learning Difficulty) & Aspergers. I take him out on jobs sometimes. It takes ages for him to learn stuff, and most of the while it's like watching tar flow, but he can actually do stuff quickly once he's learnt it. It's like teenager laziness, but in an adult, they're quicker when personally motivated. (Cash, cars and girls in his case!)
If he doesn't get it after a time then he'll have to face the reality of his own limitations and be a lab at lab rates.

Does he have learning disabilities?
[/QUOTE

No he doesn't have any learning difficulties, he actually a qualified mechanic and had his own garage at one point but, had to close down due to lack of income. He was so up for it when I first mentioned it to him so I thought I could be onto a winner, I'd rather pay him to do a job then someone I don't know, also would hate to fall out with him over it all, I'm going to have a word with him next week.