Now here's a question for you!!

Members online

loky11

If yous had a lad been with you 3 years at what stage would you expect them to be at, e.g be able to dab and skim, float and set etc.

Depends on how good you are
Say he's been on the trowel from day 1, in the space of 3 years we've done float and set, dab, skim, coving, rendering, damp proofing all of which he's been shown how to do numerous times.

Say he's been on the trowel from day 1, in the space of 3 years we've done float and set, dab, skim, coving, rendering, damp proofing all of which he's been shown how to do numerous times.
After 3 years you'd expect him to do what you do, with bit of guidance from time to time.

Some lads just don't take to it,had numerous 1s over years,some could throw 2 bags on by themselves after 6 months some couldn't after 2 years.some get it,some don't..its easy when you know how,depends how good you are at teaching aswell

Some lads just don't take to it,had numerous 1s over years,some could throw 2 bags on by themselves after 6 months some couldn't after 2 years.some get it,some don't..its easy when you know how,depends how good you are at teaching aswell
Yea, I agree with you there, at first he was really keen but as soon as he could sort of skim it's like he's not arsed.

I would say 4 years, but it depends on how much he can arrange and do if his own work, because this is when you really learn work, when you actually haven't got anyone looking over your shoulder and helping when s**t goes wrong. Everyone's got their own timing though

I would say 4 years, but it depends on how much he can arrange and do if his own work, because this is when you really learn work, when you actually haven't got anyone looking over your shoulder and helping when s**t goes wrong. Everyone's got their own timing though
Well that kind of gives me abit of hope, but I don't think anything is going to change in the next year, he dont/won't get any of his own work because he's not confident in doing it on his own plus he doesnt have to because I get all the work.

Depends on the situation, the firm I served my time with sent you to do things own your own once your tradesman said it was ok. So you would end up being back with your tradesman with a bit more self experience.

Well that kind of gives me abit of hope, but I don't think anything is going to change in the next year, he dont/won't get any of his own work because he's not confident in doing it on his own plus he doesnt have to because I get all the work.
I was doing homers in the end of my second year.

I know, I've told him hundreds of times to change gear but all ends up in an argument,
Do you pay him more than he's worth? Problem with young ens these days there want £400 per week as soon as there can put 2 bags on,used to drive me mad hence why I'm done with them.if your domestic I don't see how having somebody a side kick full time would pay for itself? Site etc it makes sense but domestic? Wasted money in my opinion

Well no one likes to say there mint do they lol but I have a very good reputation so I like to think I'm good at what I do, as for teaching Ive taught him my ways of doing thing (the way I was taught) always been patient with him and shown him how to do things more then once, so I don't know if it's me or he's just thick as f**k.

Takes 10 years to learn everything what I got told . I thoughtbfuck off but now relise its was true

Well no one likes to say there mint do they lol but I have a very good reputation so I like to think I'm good at what I do, as for teaching Ive taught him my ways of doing thing (the way I was taught) always been patient with him and shown him how to do things more then once, so I don't know if it's me or he's just thick as f**k.
Also.got told.you can either plaster or you cant

Do you pay him more than he's worth? Problem with young ens these days there want £400 per week as soon as there can put 2 bags on,used to drive me mad hence why I'm done with them.if your domestic I don't see how having somebody a side kick full time would pay for itself? Site etc it makes sense but domestic? Wasted money in my opinion
He's older then me by 14 month lol so not really young, majority is domestic, the whole point in him learning and coming with me was so he can be on 1 job while I do another that is what I'd said to him before he come with me.

Takes 10 years to learn everything what I got told . I thoughtbfuck off but now relise its was true
I get that, every days a school day, but I'm not talking about learning everything Im talking pretty basic stuff really.

I get that, every days a school day, but I'm not talking about learning everything Im talking pretty basic stuff really.
Reality is he.s bumming of you. This is why I wont take my son with me but allready know a builder who will take home on. With me he will just think it's a easy ride

Have you tried leaving him on a suitable job on his own ?

Reality is he.s humming of you. This is why I wont take my son with me but allready know a builder who will take home on. With me he will just think it's a easy ride
You know what I think your right there 100% I think this aswell, he takes alot of pride in his work and I can't knock him for that always making sure angles are spot on, he's also got the knowledge of other stuff but he won't have a go off his own back. Doesn't seem to show any interest in wanting to up his game.

Have you tried leaving him on a suitable job on his own ?
Errm, not really no, the odd occasion yes but not for a full day doing big hits or out. When I have its just been either boarding, tanking or a very small hit.