Not Many I Bet

Members online

Status
Not open for further replies.
did my time 3 year,shity pay whilst apprentice finshed in 1998.i think these bloody courses stink and cheapen the trade.the thing is nobody will wait for anything nowadays everything has to be done yesterday.
the thing is forums like this wernt about years ago either, wonder how many chancers read up on information on here and act on it calling themselfs a tradesman.you just gey skimmers nowadays that aint a plasterer some jokers ive met cant even float and set a wall to a decent standard let alone to british standards of 3mm in 1800mm,i aint being funny but i fear for the trade in years to come and i certainly wouldnt advise my lad to go into it

did my time 3 year,shity pay whilst apprentice finshed in 1998.i think these bloody courses stink and cheapen the trade.the thing is nobody will wait for anything nowadays everything has to be done yesterday.
the thing is forums like this wernt about years ago either, wonder how many chancers read up on information on here and act on it calling themselfs a tradesman.you just gey skimmers nowadays that aint a plasterer some jokers ive met cant even float and set a wall to a decent standard let alone to british standards of 3mm in 1800mm,i aint being funny but i fear for the trade in years to come and i certainly wouldnt advise my lad to go into it

Yeh right who in their right mind would read up on information on here and act on it calling themselfs a tradesman?

I might do an auto electrician course.
The Mrs was told at the garage the auto electrician charges £86 an hour!!!! :RpS_scared:

yeah whats like piss on your chips is that a computer prob tells him whats wrong... my uncle has all the gear for that as his garage and its mega money but does not take any skill.... from what I can see.

Danny

what can you learn in 5 days? some of our labourers who want to be plasterers can't even mix PVA properly.thick c**ts

Im a time served shuttering chippy, hated every minute of it

Been a Network Analyst for past 10 years, designing networks, wireless networks, fibre optics, routers, firewalls n servers
And id feel exactly the same as you guys if you had people doing 1 week courses on LAN design and then coming into the market.

I am a 5day courser - however i did the course to be able to do it for myself at home the right way, if a mate wants a ceiling done for beer money then fine - thats the kickback i get for the course cost out of my own pocket.

Im using the forum cos i loved the plastering course and am keen to learn it from the pros, but am under no illusions that i could go out on site or advertise for dom jobs like a few of the guys on my course said they would do...

Last edited:
I blame Margaret Thatcher YOP and all that back in the late seventies

Lets not go there. What happened under that regime was not only bad at the time but it takes years to recover from that some places have never recovered from it! The social breakdown goes through the generations and the worry is that it could happen again under this new lot. I would hate to see what happens to her soul when she dies....... scary thought. in fact the angels of death would propbably be afraid of her

Its very hard to get into the trade... apprenticeships dont happen and the courses are the only way to make a start. I know many time served spread that I can out plasterer... I dont think after a week or even 2 weeks it makes you a plasterer I think 3 years down the line of screwing up domestics and when you can float, screed and problem solve that makes you a spread.... anybody can skim....

Are the coursers ruining the trade oh yes but I have to say that I think the customers are just as much to blame... anybody that has a job done by someone without a recommendation in my opinion is running a big risk

This are just my opinions

Danny

Such a pointless discussion. Your either good at your trade or your not doesn't matter how long u've served or how you learnt the trade. Its just common sense some people don't seem to have it.

i think the point, freeD, is that the majority of the coursers are undercharging by quite a lot, due to not having a ******* clue, meaning the whole trade suffers. there are good and bad workers in every trade and yes some of the people who go on courses do become good plasterers, except JJ.

Yep I agree Steve, just came across that this week actually, worked on site with a guy who had done a 2 day course and was charging £150 for skimming over 2 artex ceilings. Couldn't believe it. There wil always be someone cheaper etc, best just to target a higher market then no need to worry :)

I think you need the balance in price and quality of tradesmen. If we were all going in at the same price then how would the customer choose who to do the job. If we were all as good as each other then it would make it an even harder choice for the customer. We would then be lowering our prices in the end to get the work.
Some people want to pay a higher price for quality work and some want the no frills not too fussed about the finish cheap job.

I have come to the point now where I couldnt give a **** whether people are doing a good job or a bad job. If I didnt do it then i couldnt give a s**t.

yep exactly i was slow when I started and I still probably am now compared to the old school spreads but its the quality of the finish in the end. I ahd a reputation for being expensive and that always worked in my favour... I got the good jobs in big houses because they thought they got more....lol

If it wasnt the coursers screwing it the tossers signing on and working for £50 a day (I know someone who is time served doing exactly that) the fact is you need to sell yourself... and I mean properly its all marketing in the end a courser is not going to have a clue.

Danny

Good point Danny. I m 44 now and me and me mate ( another proper paddy) worked 1 and 1 on sites for years. A lot of younger
spreads and deffo not coursers wont understand that to float n set 90m2/100m2 a day was a normal dayswork (i was the 2nd one)
Body is f**k*d now after doing it but we earned well 15 yrs ago on £5 m2, struggling now though :RpS_crying:

tell me about it paddy,Thats why it riles me when these guys rip people off and they havent got the limps in the morning to prove that they are spreads. LOL LOL.

I'm time served always have been :RpS_biggrin:
learnt with some of the roughest old spreads out there :RpS_laugh:

Heres a question then:
If someone does a weeks course & then works with some spreads for 10 yrs then on there own for another 10yrs would they still be called a couser or time served?? :RpS_wink:

exactly I think a weeks course makes you a good labourer :) It like a driving test you only start learning to drive once you pass

Heres a question then:
If someone does a weeks course & then works with some spreads for 10 yrs then on there own for another 10yrs would they still be called a couser or time served?? :RpS_wink:

Not to some people - unless he went with some spreads for ten years and THEN done a weeks course:RpS_thumbup:

if you worked with spreads for 10 years and still had to do a course, you dont deserve to be a plasterer lol

Why do 100m2 when you could do 10m2 get paid the same and not end up in a wheelchair by the time your 40?

Why do 100m2 when you could do 10m2 get paid the same and not end up in a wheelchair by the time your 40?

Yep and it was back brreaking, thats why all the paddies who are still doing it over
here now are suffering. I m in the 20m2 f+s brigade now aswell :RpS_sad:

I used to bang 20 bags a day on (browning) then turn round and skim it. Don't know how many metres it was but it was fkin hard going. and nothing like the sweet bags we have now, as my old mate calls them.:RpS_crying:

Hi all, I might as well throw my 3 quids worth in here as well :RpS_w00t: Ive worked sites for decades and their aint any spread worth their salt who can keep on the high meterage well into their 40s. What is the point anyway.

I used to bang 20 bags a day on (browning) then turn round and skim it. Don't know how many metres it was but it was fkin hard going. and nothing like the sweet bags we have now, as my old mate calls them.:RpS_crying:

You know it Bubbles, browning 4/5 m2 a bag, s**t GEAR but easy to mix etc :RpS_laugh:. These young
coursers dont know how easy they got it :RpS_biggrin:

You know it Bubbles, browning 4/5 m2 a bag, s**t GEAR but easy to mix etc :RpS_laugh:. These young
coursers dont know how easy they got it :RpS_biggrin:

Me and me old china used to do a 10 bag hit on skimming between both of us on large areas with the old 50kg bags:huh: not the bags of flour they use today.

Last edited:
Ahhh .....tin baths, lungs full of browning dust and kins (splits) on every finger. That's what I served me time on.......happy days:RpS_crying:

Status
Not open for further replies.